• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

I have read articles of bottle cultivation and making spawn in plastic bottles. Where can these bottles be found at, only place I can come up with is nalgene. Also in some of the articles it seems that they use diposible plastic bottles, because after colonization they will remove the bottle or put holes in it.

http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Could you all please please post links to where these plastic bottles can be purchased from?

Thank you in advance. :)

#2 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,164 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:27 AM

I have seen teks of used 2l coke bottles. Cut them at the top and then put in the substrate and replace the top. Can't remember where I saw this but I will see if I can find it........ Stay Tuned................

#3 Invitro

Invitro

Don Vitro

• Free Member
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:28 AM

This place has bottles

http://www.gourmetmu....com/equipment/

#4 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

Spectacular link Invitro, not only do they have bottles, but also the trays too.

Awsome Awsome Awsome :)

That is exactly the type of stuff I am looking for.

If anyone else has links to this type of stuff, where ever it may be on planet Earth, please link me to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• bottles-trays.jpg

#5 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

U.S. Plastics Has more jugs and bottles than you can shake a stem at.
I like the clear ones starting at $1.
http://www.usplastic...y_name=3&Page=1

Attached Thumbnails

• hood.jpg
  • Poly jars.jpg
  • clear jar.jpg

#6 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:25 PM

Any Plastic Bottle made of polypropylene is what you are looking for. Many times lab catalogs list different types of plastic bottles. Look for the polypropylene and you will have something that can be PC'd. Other plastic bottles are too weenie....slp/fmrc

#7 obscured by clouds

obscured by clouds

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:49 PM

That link is nuts:rasta:

#8 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, that is a nice link. Does anyone think that those wide mouth straight jars would work nice for transering cakes for invitro de casing? My foaf was thinking that would leave a nice amount of space for the mushrooms to rise.

#9 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

Anyone know where I can order some of these jars? Probly alot cheaper than glass.. They are reusable, autoclavable, etc., I just can't find a decent price for them :eusa_wall. Anyone knows of a place, let me know! Thanks

#10 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Try here:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/

#11 bullwinkle

bullwinkle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

a foaf got these Ball freezer jars at Kroger's grocery for $2.45 a five pack. They work great substrate always slides out easily. he tried some more expensive ones had bad luck on the lids. there PP5. I'll post some pics of them in action, when i figure out how.

#12 bullwinkle

bullwinkle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

these are ithttp://www.homecanni...?CAT=479&P=2662

#13 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:14 AM

Hi again guys,

As some of you who have read my recent posts would know Ive just started my first PF tek, and Ive run into a potential problem that Im unsure of what to do about.
I'm using polypropylene tubs, rating 5, thick walled, looked great. They did withstand sterilisation, but not without a minor effect on the lids.
The no longer snap on tightly, and Im very concerned as the seal seems to be comprimised.
I have not as yet injected my spore water, and am not sure how to proceed. Any advice would be very very appreciated guys.

A possible solution i came up with (i have no idea how good it is) is to put the tubs in freezer bags that i bought just today, 80 for 40cents. They came with twist ties, and seem fairly sturdy (for a plastic bag of course).
I thought i could inject the spore water, tape the innoculation points, and bag them. Sucking the air out and tying the bags off.
Do you guys think this might work?

Speaking of 'taping off' what exactly is the purpose of the tape? I realise of course it helps keep water out when PC'ing your jars/tubs, but I am injecting strait through the lid (one of the few benefits of these tubs).
Now, Ive been told that i do not want an airtight seal on my tubs. Soooo, I got to thinking.
If i used fabric medical tape, would that be enough of an imperfect seal? The adhesive on the tape Ive bought seems to be very thick and strong (sterile also) and I'm wondering if it will do too well in sealing the innoculation points.
Then again, would the loose fitting lids offer enough of a transfer of air? I just dont know. I really dont want to ruin my first grow, and Im getting a bad bad feeling the lose lids might have already allowed contams into the tubs.
I just dont know. I was even considering leaving air in the bags, sealing them as an air pocket around the tubs (my incubator sure has the room for it) and perhaps misting the inside of the bags.

I'm kind of working blind were when Im uncertain of the exact requirments of the tubs/jars. Will sealing the innoc points airtight ruin the colonisation? cos if not thats exactly what I'll do...I just dont know.

Could some wise and experienced fungaholics offer a solution or some thoughts? Below are a pic of the tubs, and the bag method Im considering.
Posted Image

Thankyou very much in advance guys,

Fingers

#14 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:11 AM

I've had those lids deform when i stacked em in the PC ,but a single layer did fine...If u have a good layer of verm in the tubs and your pretty sure they didn't get wet from cooking then i would still use em..
Just store in a clean container after knocking up ..they should be just fine..
If u think they may have gotten wet, then abort the mission and return to base.....

#15 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

you really don't want anything air tight as you need some sort of air and gas exchange, when i first started i used the 3M medical tape (frabric) works great.
"taping off" is so water does not enter while PC'ing and blocks contam from enters when it cools down which will cause a suction.

do you have a glove box? you really should,,, saved a lot of sweat.

peace
siam

#16 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Thanks heaps Golly and Siam,

I think i was just worrying over nothing perhaps. The lids tightened right up again once the tubs cooled. As for the top layer of vermic staying dry, how is that possible Golly?

(This is my thinking, i may well be totally and utterly wrong)
The sterilisation, steam, whatever brings so much vapourised water up in the tubs that keeping the vermic dry would be impossible, or am i totally missing something?
If you mean external water getting into the tubs,no i dont think there would have been. I had a very hefty layer of foil over each tub.

I dunno, I guess if its gone bad, its a little late now. I'll cross all my fingers and toes....and hope it went well.

Thanks guys :)

#17 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well inspite of the pressurized steamy environment - the verm layer remains dry enough and nutrient free, so as to prevent the bad spores from germinating ...I suspect there maybe just enough moisture in the verm to actually trap contaminants that do get in...
Let us know how that turns out for ya...

#18 fingers

fingers

mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:07 AM

Will do mate, thanks again for the tip.

Oh by the by, do you have any new pics of recent grows? Ive yet to see one of your pics that wasn't worth saving in my favorite grow pics.
I'd love to see what wierd and wonderful fungal endevours you have going atm.

Thanks mate :)

Fingers

#19 Babo911

Babo911

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

Will a PP5 container (any plastic with that little triangle with a 5 in the middle) Glad wear containers in particular hold up to PC for about an hour?

Polypropylene has a melting point of 320 degrees -wikipedia

Now I know that the glad containers have a PP5 for the Tupperware itself but can't find any info on the lid....

#20 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

PP5 is safe in the PC, but you hit upon the problem: what rating are the lids?

If they aren't marked and nobody can help you with info, you might have to test PC one. Just put it in a bit aluminum foil "bowl" so that if it does melt, it won't screw up your PC.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!