Fisana

* * * * - 1 votes

Just another way to prep Wild Bird Seed

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:48 PM

Well, Arezap was telling me a quick prep method for WBS that he likes. I have tried it 3 times and I have to say I really have found this to be the best way for me to get WBS optimum for my use. So, that said, this wasn't my idea, Arezap gets credit, and I don't know if I'd reccomend it for a first try with grains or WBS. The other well proven WBS teks are probably more reliable than this write up. I'm just sharing, and posting pics cuz, Hippie lets me :)

The WBS brand I use
WBSbrand.JPG

The seed
WBS.JPG
I don't like seed with corn in it, it gets too gummy for my liking.

The jars and their lids the way I use them. A center hole, with tyvek circles.
WBSjars.JPG
I put the tyvek circles first, then lid.
WBSmetallid.JPG
WBSplasticlid.JPG

I measured 2 cups for each quart jar. **Now, I found this to be too much for my seed. So, next time, I'm going with 1 3/4 cups WBS in each quart jar.**
I put this dry in each jar
WBSjardry.JPG
WBSjarsdry.JPG

Then, I add hot tap water to the very top. ( I don't worry about sunflower seeds, in fact, I think mycelium likes them)
I let this soak for minimum 20 minutes, and have done maximum soak of 1 hour. Arezap, said he did 10 minutes, so I hope he'll tell us for sure his minimum soak time. This is what I love about the prep of WBS this way :)
During soak
WBSjarssoak.JPG
WBSjarssoakcloseup.JPG
After 20 minute soak
WBS20minslater.JPG

Then I have my trusty filter screen.
WBSfilterscreen.JPG
Its a small weave mesh screen, like tent screen, and it is perfect, no seed all over the kitchen or sink, I like that! I just wrap it tight around the top, and pour out. I also run hot water through it to rinse it a bit more, and drain for about a minute or so.

WBStodrain.JPG

This is what it looks like after the drain

WBSafterdrain.JPG

Then I have a meausring cup for my add on water.
WBSaddonwater.JPG
I used 1/3 cup for 2 cups seed. I am changing this to 1/4 cup per quart jar add on water. 1/3 seems a bit too much, and I am going to use 1 3/4 cup seed from now on.

In the pc for 1 hour at 15 psi
WBSpressurecooker.JPG

After the pc and a shake while hot
WBSafterpcandshake.JPG
I try to shake it really really well to get the drier top seeds to the bottomwithout burning myself :)

And a shot of the 1 hour soak jar after pc
WBS1hoursoakafter pc.JPG

I would like to note I have not tried inoculating with spores yet. I am going to though. I have only used Liquid Culture inoculations and Agar inoculations with these jars. they are colonizing great, and in under 2 weeks on average, usually 10 days. I timed it all when I did these, and it was approximately 1 hour after start when my pc reached 15 psi. So, the prep is the quickest easiest way I've done WBS. Rye can be done similarly I'm assuming.
I've got some pix of the jars I'll post up later.

Also, the WBS jars used in my PE isolation thread, were my first attempt at this method. Those jars spawned the dub tub and fish bowl. So, I know it worked out fine for me.
Just thought with all the WBS talk going on and teks, this was the diamond in the rough for me. Thanks a whole bunch Arezap for sharing it with me :)

#2 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

Nice tek, zap and nice write up, freaky. So, iyo, what are the added benefits of wild bird seed over rye or vice versa?

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:09 PM

Well, I've only had rye jars once. So I can't say on the prep time. WBS is cheaper for me, $5 for 20 lbs.

I think it could apply really to either WBS or Rye. I just like it, no soaking, simmering, big draining or messes.

#4 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:31 PM

Yup.... Cheaper.... and more innoc points than rye...

However... I bet they differ in nutritional content. Don't think it really matters though. IME WBS spawn is RYE spawn is spawn....

Thanks for the pictorial freaky :eusa_clap

#5 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

I can't take the credit but you're welcome for the info. I read it here on the forums last summer and haven't been able to locate the TEK again. But I usually soak for just 10 mins unless I just happen to forget . Then it's a good rinse and drain then put the wbs into jars. I use 1/3 c. water to 1 c. wbs., cap, wrap, and pc for an hour. I DO NOT recommend this for finch seed because all the jars of it tried this way contaminated mostly with wet spot. I never got the water right with it so went to regular wbs and all was good.
Great writeup freaky! You'll be seeing some of the results of the mass trading for spores I did the last couple months soon! Here's a preview of what's to come. SA's, EQ, Oaxaca, GT's, Stropharia,Cambos,pink oysters and so much more is coming so I can buildup some prints for the great spore trade round 2. I love my new camera! The first pic is the pink oysters. The second pic is the others named. There were 5 more jars of grains that wouldn't fit on the tub for the pic too. Third pic has some surprises yet to come.

Attached Thumbnails

• incubating.jpg
  • Jars to birth.jpg
  • pink oyster2.jpg

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

:dance:

Well, I give you credit for it Arezap! Those jars look fantastic! And I've got some prints saved to trade you with too :) Acadian Coast are pinning now :)

I guess whats cool about doing WBS this way, is you can tweak it to get it exactly the best way for personal preferance. See how different your amounts and times are then mine, and it still works great! I love it!

#7 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

Well, I give you credit for it Arezap! Those jars look fantastic!

Thanks freaky. I gues I'm the re-discoverer of the yet unfindable TEK buried here in the threads or archives.

:dance:

And I've got some prints saved to trade you with too :) Acadian Coast are pinning now :) ...

I'll be looking forward to it !:cool:

#8 Milton Waddams

Milton Waddams

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

I have been working with WBS a lot lately as well, mainly due to the fact that it is so damn cheap. Freakachino, you mentioned that you have not shot them directly with spores, I have and it works just as well as LC (IME).

#9 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

dankz, guyz and galz:D
:bow:

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

i remember it,
i've done very similar with rye,
works ok.
the one thing missing here
is any soaking to germinate endospores.
now one might get away with that
many times before ever encountering
a bad batch of grain.
but just keep in mind
if you use this fast method
and suddenly your jars start turning sour
either do a soak
or go find a better batch of seed
as yours is contam'd.
  • Earthling likes this

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:24 PM

Hippie is correct. As I stated in the beginning, use a more reliable, longer standing WBS tek if you aren't comfortable or familiar with making grains. If ya wanna try it, go ahead, but don't blame me when your jars don't work out. I just put a pictorial up to the prep process Arezap told me about. And even we did it differently.
I just find I can get 14 WBS jars pc'd sterilized in less than 6 hours. I like that.

#12 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

Here are the posts in the archive you might be thinking of.

No soak birdseed
[dead link]

No soak rye
[dead link]

Foaf has used this method for a couple years since first reading about it here in the archives. The most important part is finding the correct water to grain ratio for the grains you are using.

Recently foaf had to start using different wbs (Bird Basics) since the pet store stopped carrying the brand she was using. While trying to find the correct ratio, she also tried using the soaking method to prepare this wbs. She soaked the wbs for almost 36 hours (a couple grains even started sprouting), then pc'ed it.

What she found interesting was that after pc'ing, the soaked grain was drier than the no soak grain. This means that the pc will force more water into the grain than soaking itself does. If you have problems with your grains drying out while colonizing, then you might try the no soak method.

Here is a pic showing the difference between the two methods. The bottom jars were the ones were the grain was soaked, then pc'ed. The no soak jars were created and pc'ed right after the bottom jars came out of the pc. All jars were shot up with the same syringe at the same time.

sra_spawn_for_bin_4_and_5.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 08 October 2016 - 09:15 AM.

• Earthling likes this

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

What she found interesting was that after pc'ing, the soaked grain was drier than the no soak grain. This means that the pc will force more water into the grain than soaking itself does. If you have problems with your grains drying out while colonizing, then you might try the no soak method.

interesting,
makes sense as wbs is hard shelled.
popcorn is similar.
i do not find this to be true, however, with rye.
  • Earthling likes this

#14 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Good info Shobi, thanks.
I haven't ever made rye jars, (just no need to), but have to say these work well for me.

And it is a matter of finding the water/seed ratio before the pc (I call it the add on water). Different seed, different amt.

Thanks a lot for those links Shobimono :)

#15 synth

synth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:09 AM

cool teks.

i'll mention it to my friend who can tell my FOAFs
so they can try it next time they want to do wbs.

#16 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:37 AM

I think those links were where I found the info but it was last summer so not sure. Pretty likely though. Thanks shobi!

#17 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:07 PM

Nice write up Freakachino! Great pics.

#18 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

damn yet another great pictorial...
everytime i see someone put great stuff
up like this i'm always reminded of when hip calls
this a goldmine of knowledge...he sure is right about
that one..;)

great job freaky!!!!

* archive material \ wild bird seed teks

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

Thanks! Glad you all find it helpful. I thought it worked so well I'd put a pictorial up for it. Pics help me a lot :) I like em!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!