147 replies to this topic

#21 dfar

dfar

scared shitless

• Expired Member
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

page 3 of article under heading "TODAY: IN THE LAND OF RAGE"

"The Petersons have two children, two cats and two cars. They were high school sweethearts. Marc Peterson has a small business that sells windows and his wife, Amie, is a nurse. They have a three-bedroom, single-story house with a garden in Cape Coral, where they have lived since 1991, when they became engaged. The Petersons are a model middle-class family, the kinds of people everyone recognizes from the colorful TV series that celebrate the American dream."

what TV series are they talking about? from reading over the article again the conception of the "American dream" is still very wishy-washy. If I had not the exposure to American television and therefore into the psych of the average American citizen I would still have very little to draw on to form my conception of the American Dream. Therefore my question of

"What is the American Dream?" I feel is still applicable

If the American Dream is derived from American television than we can conclude that it is fictional and if fictional that it's tangibility is not entirely ensured. This Dream unfortunately seems just that, a dream and fictional reality that was manufactured by a group of very smart people to persuade people to live in a way that suited there interests i.e. buying their shady wears and developing a insatiable desire for "better", newer, things and services (or put more generally the development of the individual as consumer). One possible aspect of the American Dream is to own things. As an American you go out and you get a house, a wife, children, dogs, money, an education, a job, a career etc. and having these things are said to make you happy and successful. If you don't have these things you can not be happy or successful. In this way people are taught through the use of the concept of the American Dream to devalue themselves (and others) in substitute for owning property, and "working hard".

Now before I get flamed for saying that getting an education, a job, a house is in some sense bad let me reassure you it is not. However developing the attitude that since you have such things gives you some type of authority or power over others that don't have these qualities is (there is something to say for people being humble). To say that a doctor is in some way "better" than a garbage man would be incorrect. This in here lies the "better than the Jone's" problem that I equate as a natural circumstance stemming from the development of the American Dream conception.

on another note;

It would seem that if we took the 1950's television show "Leave it to beaver" as our model for the "American Dream" as I assume most would agree would be a textbook characterture of this concept, then such a television show (as most art is) would be influenced by the recently past and current social/political attitudes and ideology of that time. If this were the case than the American Dream as portrayed by the television program "leave it to Beaver" shows a white, patriarchal family of which the patriarch is between the ages 30 - 60, some people like to call this the nuclear family and fits as well with the 1950's American dream reference frame as it does in the above quoted articles reference frame.

Therefore although the earlier comments made by my poster may have seemed racist, sexist, ageist and highly offensive I hold a stance of immunity from such categories being placed on my character since as decibed above the very reference frame for the American dream is racist, sexist, and highly marginalizing (although covertly) to the majority of people within and especially exterior to the United States if the reference frame of "leave it to beaver" and the owns articles depictions are held as true representations of the American Dream.

Edited by dfar, 03 January 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#22 dfar

dfar

scared shitless

• Expired Member
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

I want to go back to the ideal of "The American Dream."

That is to say, if you work hard are you guaranteed a chance at a better life for yourself and a better life for your children?

Maybe I should have asked for a group consensus on what "The American Dream" even means before posting. Friggin' drunks with keyboards...

read this after I posted but I think some of what I've related still is relevant.

#23 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

I see today that the Cons plan to dump healthcare soon as they get enough power back.

How are you going to save your country when the government is infighting like that?

#24 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

I've always thought of "The American Dream" as the typical work hard, and you'll be rewarded accordingly type of concept.

I'm not sure where the origin of the phrase came from, but America presented itself as the "land of the free and the home of the brave." A melting pot, where anyone from anywhere could come and work hard and achieve prosperity.

In that context, not only do I believe it's over, I believe it's been a facade since its inception.

If the American Dream is over, maybe it's time to WAKE UP before the American Nightmare begins...

I must confess, I did not read the linked article, but am probably familiar with some of it as I do read about current affairs. I am very concerned about the direction we've been heading for a long time, and I fear that the collapse will be devastating globally.

There is no other place to run away to freedom anymore...and we keep populating, consuming, destroying etc...

I've been thinking of devoting the rest of my years to being an activist. I'm just not sure where to begin without putting a target right between my eyes.

Peace...Z

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,615 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

I've been thinking of devoting the rest of my years to being an activist. I'm just not sure where to begin without putting a target right between my eyes.

That's just it; if you take that path you WILL get a target painted on your forehead. For that matter, you'll often get one painted on those closest to you, too. Strong disincentives to activism exist because it's a viable way to effect change.

But that's the nature of taking any kind of stand (and the price). If it's any consolation, we're not immortal so whatever the powers that you are opposing seek to do to you as retribution for your insolence will not last forever. You won't be caged forever, or live in abject poverty forever, or anything forever (including living in the mansion on the hill if instead you choose to feed the beast instead of oppose it). Timidity in the face of mortality is absurd IMO, but at a deep, visceral level we don't really think we're going to die so we act as though the consequences of our actions will last forever. They won't, so there's nothing to fear though that's easier said than believed.

Fuck 'em all, then; what kind of power do they really have over you or I? As much as we allow them to! It's the little cop who we allow to live inside our head that does most of the work of silencing us or inhibiting our actions in this kind of context. It's time to kick him out...

We can be fairly judged by the company we keep, or whose philosophies we support and all that, but we can also be fairly judged by who our enemies are. If we have no enemies, it means we don't do much of anything. If we don't do much of anything, we aren't helping fix any of what's broken, and so in a roundabout way if we're not being fucked with then we're part of the problem.

#26 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

As I understand it, the American Dream means that any sort of down trodden human being in any ol country can immigrate to America, become a citizen (by going through the proper channels), and start up the business or career of his/her choice in an environment that is crafted for his/her future success. The streets were paved with gold they once said, in reference to the many economic opportunities that exist over here.

The Personal Computer, and the software that accompanied them, and especially the now multibilliondollar industry that has arisen in their wake, are an excellent example of the American Dream being alive and well. Many of those companies were started in garages.

"Oh but that was way back in the 20th century!"

Ok, well here's an even more recent example:

Within the past 10 years or so, decriminalization of marijuana has been gradually taking place, not to mention the creation of several medical marijuana laws in several states.

Though they already had momentum from the existing black market, the now existing medical marijuana industry is easily raking in millions of dollars. This industry has become powerful to have its own lobbyists telling our lawmakers how to vote.

All these medical marijuana dispensaries, the vast majority at least, have all come from what were once illegal 'bootleg' operations, the sort that you'd find in a garage. Seems pretty cut and paste to me.

I myself have been attempting to raise my own small business from the ashes of my creative processes. Along the way I have been witness to several other people doing so and being successful in their endeavors.

I think that the small business is the centerpiece of the American Dream. And though there are challenges, as explained by "Joe The Plumber", and there are obvious dark clouds like Walmart, but there is always room for Hope.

I'll take Hope over Despair any day of the week. Especially if it takes effort to see either for the given situation.

Hollywood/Music industry is full of these sorts of stories, Samuel L. Jackson was actually a Black Panther who conducted terrorist activities including taking people hostage. Now he's a multimilliondollar A-List celebrity. Danny Trejo, from heroin junky/pusher to MegaStar. Blondie was a call-girl before she got discovered. George Clooney was so lonely he had to sleep with a pig to stay warm at night, then he became a star and got rid of the pig (he might still have the pig, dunno about how that turned out).

I'd rather dream up my own American Dream, than sit around and try to trash everyone else's. What does that sound like? Bitter envy?

We're all in this thing together, why not get out and help push instead of sitting in the passenger seat complaining about how we're never gonna get there?

Maybe it was this guys dream to be a successful shithead critic writer who typographically shits on other peoples' stuff and gets paid for it by his suckass editor who is desperate for content to fill his useless rag. I can't help but continue to point out that the American Dream is alive even for that guy lol.

I dunno, maybe there's a lesson to be learned from Mr. Samuel L. Jackson, B.M.F.: The Man's definitely out to get you, but he's not that good at it since he's out to get everyone else too. So getting out from under that giant thumb in the sky and becoming one yourself isn't all that difficult. But like Mr. Jackson, B.M.F. demonstrated, sitting around and complaining won't get you shit. You gotta be a man of action and take hostages and make your demands!

:heartbeat :bow: Mycotopia: an American Dream :bow: :heartbeat

Edited by Beast, 03 January 2011 - 02:26 PM.

• zodd likes this

#27 StheNC

StheNC

Filthy Creep

• Expired Member
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

So, if I understand correctly, in order to be free to realize the full magnitude of our dreams, each and every one of us must take Samuel Jackson hostage and ransom him for medical marijuana. Is that about right?

I just wanna make sure I get it right. I want the American dream, but if I screw up the details I may wind up with a Haitian dream, a Turkish dream or even a Portuguese dream.

I'd even settle for a Puerto Rican or American Samoan dream.

If I can't find Sammy J, will Linda Blair do?

Oooooooo, I hope this works!
  • Beast likes this

#28 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

thank you buck for awakening this nebulous topic on this new year ( i was falling asleep :))

american dream a lovely thing: ->

for an immigrant simply getting here and being able to make 10 times for the same janitor job

for others, making $10,000 per month is tits

to assume that the dream is the 4-person nuclear family + house is utter madness
its an average value that only few actually embody
in this case its an arbitrary "average"

for me the american dream is the ability to do what you want in america --> be it legal or not

there are tons of traps for wouldbe free americans

one can get turned into a "factory human" : eat a certain diet, only live in a certain area, have "typical experiences etc.

but someone is jizzing at how many factory humans they control <-- thats their american dream

the chaotic nature of conflict and chaos

the absence of always clearly defined paths, the sheer amorphousness of the scape

the freedom to shape oneself as one wills

that one has the option to be "totally fucked up", "sub-prime loans underwater debt to gills, but im still using credit cards" fucked up

that level of fucked up is an expression of the fundamental freedom that i think of as the "american dream"

#29 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

as far the articles doomsayin

its true that there are some problems, the current crisis represents a mismatch between the records (money, currency values) and reality

there is a process of "counting the marbles"

you say you have 20 marbles, show us 20 marbles etc. many ppls "20 marbles" turned out to not be 20 marbles when counted out (shucks)

i dont know how to put it, ill follow goearge carlin

we dont have have an fucking choice

those dudes in charge are insatiably greedy

its like looking at cyborg dick cheney and feeling "at least hes on our side and not theirs"

or put another way, lebron and kobe are american

#30 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= Still Kickin =-

• OG VIP
  • 1,938 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

Thank you for reminding me of this! I'm tired of him living there rent free, at my expense! :reb::hippie::pirate:

Peace...Z

Fuck 'em all, then; what kind of power do they really have over you or I? As much as we allow them to! It's the little cop who we allow to live inside our head that does most of the work of silencing us or inhibiting our actions in this kind of context. It's time to kick him out...

#31 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

American Dream as defined by me: work hard, don't intentionally do harm, help where you can and you will have the opportunity to live in safety and raise your progeny in prosperity.

As the article I linked starting this pointed out, though, that dream is being squashed by people who have forgotten the most important part of it. Work Hard.

Most Americans, IMHO, feel entitled to the bigger house, the better car, the...whatever...simply because they are Americans who are asleep (and theoretically dreaming).

The American Dream always - ALWAYS - required idiots and dingbats to fulfill the subservient positions in order that the hard working dreamers could get ahead.

The idiots and dingbats have always been primarily composed of the people who didn't want to work to get ahead because they were comfortable where they were. The dreamers who GOT ahead have almost always done so on the backs of idiots/dingbats.

The American Dream dies when Americans feel that they are entitled to it, rather than holding it out as an eternally unreachable (though inimitably visible) goal.

And again - I think we're DOOMED. I've watched ages other than this dissolve...

Edited by BuckarooBanzai, 04 January 2011 - 07:32 PM.

• iamsmiley and firerat like this

#32 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

To say it more clearly, the American Dream only works when a vast majority of Americans are only DREAMING it instead of LIVING it.

When LIVING the dream becomes an entitlement to all Americans, the basic bullshit foundation upon which the whole system is built dissolves and everyone is screwed.

I think we are screwed.

#33 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

I've always had this image in my head when I think of the "American dream"; man/woman coming from nothing, working hard, saving money, buying the house the have always wanted (maybe it has a pickett fence, maybe not), having a nice car, bills paid, vacations, investments. Basically living comfortably and wanting for nothing really. With that being said, I think many Americans and immagrants have achieved this while some will never come close. However, when they reach that point, its not enough. There must be a bigger house, more money to earn, more stuff to buy. All the while they are paying for a long term care facility to take care of their aging parents, nanny for their children, a dog walker, etc.

To me there is no sense of unity. Not among our government, communities, most importantly family. I think the dream for the "almighty dollar" has clouded much. We as a nation need to start working together, paying it forward. We have become very selfish as a whole.

I don't believe the american dream is over. However, I do believe changes need to occur for things to get better.

Buck you are right in your thinking; do the things you can, no matter how small. Kindness and generosity are contagious.
  • BuckarooBanzai likes this

#34 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Buck you are right in your thinking; do the things you can, no matter how small. Kindness and generosity are contagious.

We've rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic before. This isn't the first human civilization and it isn't the last. This isn't my first life and it isn't my last. Please - nobody mistake my fatalism for a lack of hope...

But there is NO reason we can't occasionally be comfortable on deck as we hurtle towards oblivion.

One of the most comfortable feelings in the world is that calm sense of satisfaction and purpose that comes from committing a random act of kindness. Sounds hokey, but it is still one of the truest things I know how to say. Helping people makes you feel good.

I still think this society is ultimately doomed, though. In a weird way, it has always seemed to me like the Constitution has an implicit expiration date printed on it. Regardless, I'm pretty certain we have passed the "use by" date for applying it...

#35 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

The American Dream is undefined. My limits and dreams seem to move along at the same pace. Come to think of it though, I have a good example to go by. An eternally unreachable goal is a common tool used by the movers of mass movements. This thread should be moved to the twilight zone or trash talk.
  • Erkee likes this

#36 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

I would say the "American Dream" is amorphously, variously and sometimes contradictorily defined, but it is certainly not undefined.

The term "American Dream" carries a distinct meaning, both generically and individually though. It is certainly a defined term.

The eternally unreachable goal is a tool commonly used by theoretical scientists of all stripe. The unified field theorem is but one example.

I disagree that this is Trash or Twilight material.

#37 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,615 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

American Dream as defined by me: work hard, don't intentionally do harm, help where you can and you will have the opportunity to live in safety and raise your progeny in prosperity.

I think that became a distinctly American dream because this country was wrested from the natives by immigrants who came from places where they might work as hard as they possibly could but would still have no chance of bettering their situation.

So, the American dream seems to be one of transcending class, and for a long while it worked well in that regard. We have our national mythology of the humble beginnings of some of our most exalted historical figures, with the implication that if they could do it, so could you or I.

The problem is that after some time passes, things settle back out into their old stratified forms again. It's like a jar full of half water and half oil; normally they're distinctly separated into vertically-stacked layers but if it's shaken up sufficiently hard they'll appear to be homogeneously mixed. Sometimes the water is on top, sometimes the oil. The American Revolution and westward expansion into a true "frontier" were potent shake-ups (Ye Olde Europe didn't have any frontiers anymore, so there was nowhere to go and try to reinvent society).

By now, the waves of that big shake-up are mostly settled down and enough time has passed for the emergence of a new aristocracy just like the kind our ancestors originally fled from. The oil and water have separated themselves again and just like with all the civilizations that came and went before us, ours is naturally stratifying as it grows more rigid and brittle, like plastic baking in the Sun. I guess it's a natural consequence of desiring to protect the kinds of vested interests that revolutionaries utterly lack, and it's that lack that motivates revolutions in the first place. When we lack that lack, we oppose change because if we have what we think we want, why the hell would we want to change? But if we don't change in the face of a changing world, we get snapped off like dead branches in the wind.

Perhaps the dream refreshes itself periodically by the very events we're trying to prevent? After all, evolution is in large part a function of selection pressure, and a glance at the ruins of so many earlier civilizations implies that collapse and rebirth are all part of the fun. At first, a new society is formed from a big shake-up and it's freshness and optimism resembles a field of grasses; no matter how strong the winds, they just dance and keep shining; who can stop them?

As time passes, claims begin to be staked and territories defined. Borders emerge, things get "serious" and the Halcyon days of dancing grasses are over. We slowly become less flexible and more rigidly fixed in place, like trees. Trees have their own advantages, but they can only be gained by sacrificing the spontaneous flexibility of the grasses. Eventually, the tree-like society gets so large that trimming or moving it or just about any change at all seems inconceivable (massive old trees do seem solidly eternal, don't they?) and those who propose any changes are viewed with suspicion and fear.

And then the Wind returns, the tree is snapped in half and rots into grass food, and the cycle repeats itself. But it's not a circle; circles go back to where they started. Our species is also moving forward in time, and occasional backsliding fuckups notwithstanding our cultural evolution resembles a spiral (cyclical, but a never-quite-repeating-itself motion through time).

The culminating point of human evolution IMO will be when we learn how to drive this cycle intentionally, becoming actively rigid or flexible depending on what the times dictate rather than merely reacting to events as if the ebb and flow of civilization is some brand new thing that's never happened before (that takes us by surprise every single time). Even better might be some sort of blended balance between Flexible and Rigid, but we probably won't collectively be ready for something that advanced for another 10,000 years. And today is one tiny little step in that direction, as was yesterday and so will be tomorrow.

I guess the trick to staying sane and tolerating our own existence (the Holy Grail of Be-ing?) is to dispense with thoughts and concerns about "beginnings" and "endings" and instead contemplate the Journey itself. It's a bumpy road, but it's not taking us anywhere in particular because the road IS the goal, the Grail. And it's already ours because here we are on it!

And recently I've begun to suspect that fear is just the price of having a vivid imagination, and if we fear the future it can only be because we're imagining scary stuff (but that's all it is; our imagination). It also generally means the present is rather nice because it affords us the luxury of the time and energy to think about the future, so I'm trying to focus more on what IS and less on what might be (with an eye toward improving the present and making it as sustainable as possible, of course). My preferred version of a common old saying is "Live each day as if it was your last, but make your plans as if you're going to live forever."

Edited by TVCasualty, 05 January 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#38 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

"Live each day as if it was your last, but make your plans as if you're going to live forever."

Live in the moment but plan for the future by applying what you have learned in the past.

I try as much as possible to focus on the moment - the instant in fact. The millisecond between when my brain thought that last letter and kicked the neurons that flexed my finger is of interest to me. To think about the process of typing while I am physically typing out the thought it in an almost autonomous fashion - that's fun stuff right there.

I can type quickly because I have trained my nervous system to translate my words onto the page without thinking about it. I can type 50-60 words a minute when I am WAY too fuckered up to be typing (please see my previous history of posting under the influence).

I read news and blogs, but I don't take 'em that seriously. I like to know history, but I don't fixate on it. I like the think about the future, but I don't loose a lot of sleep over it.

A long time ago, I started working from this basic primary realization: no matter what the human species does, the sun will eventually burn all it's fuel and the resulting explosion will utterly destroy this little planet.

From that totally fatalistic "we are all doomed regardless" perspective, it is a very short hop to realizing that this beautiful little green and blue globe we live on only exists because of previous exploding suns. The only place in the universe where elements as heavy as carbon can be formed is in the death of stars.

To quote CSN: "We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon..."

Everything about this planet will be recycled back into the amazing system that gave birth to it (and us) in the first place.

Societies and civilizations follow the same patterns of birth and death. 99% of the civilizations which have ever existed on this planet are already dead. Then the cycle kicks in because humans are pack animals that show an incredible predilection for gathering together in tribes, towns, cities, etc.

And the groups (including nations and empires) all eventually collapse in upon themselves. Your rigidity/flexibility motif is quite illuminating and very well put. The nature of humans is to want a status quo and a continuum in their lives. Most Americans would rather live with a slightly crappy situation than risk an even worse situation. Don't rock the boat (and don't tell me it is leaking faster than we can bail, 'cause we ran out of food three days ago and we gonna be eatin' somebody soon...).

So we become more and more rigid, drying out and becoming brittle; the small cracks spread faster and easier, becoming gaping fissures in the social fabric. 200 years of no school shootings and then 50+ in less than 15 years would be a good generic oversimplification, I think.

But I don't worry about it, because the universe has plenty of solutions for all our little problems. Just like the natural system solved that pesky dinosaur overpopulation/jungle overgrowth issue. And hey, bonus, we got oil from that global die off! Who knows what neat stuff the Earth will do with all this plastic and toxic waste we've created in 10,000 years. I bet it'll be neat.

But I ain't betting on that neat shit 10,000 years from now including Humanity.

We have been around for about a microsecond on the galactic time scale. The odds are unbelievably overwhelming that we will go extinct.

All our carbon hangs around, though, for the next cycle. All this energy doesn't do anything but change forms.

And all that said - I think the American Dream is absolutely alive and well. I know a number of first generation immigrants who are pretty much ecstatic to be living at (or below) the poverty line. Nice segue, eh?

Lots of immigrants (legal and not) are ecstatic because they came here from hell holes where death squads and soul crushing juntas are running the show. It's easy to forget that there are some really, really fucked up countries on this planet.

One very strange thing (to me) is how many "true blue patriotic Americans" are driven absolutely apoplectic by the thought that an illegal immigrant might be living the American dream (the dream many of them call a mean trick and a false hope in the first place). The thought that a family of 5 could be satisfied with one car and a two bedroom apartment actually seems to enrage some people. Pardon me for putting up this overworked straw man, but lots of people seem to be genuinely PISSED OFF that Pedro is actually happy working 60 hours a week at below minimum wage (doing a job that a Minute Man wouldn't do on a DARE).

The tablet in the hands of the Statue of Liberty on Ellis island has a poem written upon it. Part of that poem goes thusly:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

It is an odd dichotomy (and very telling about the belief/denial of the American Dream today - I do have a point here) that a large number of American's would like to change that tablet to read: "No Vacancy. Fuck off." Or, to paraphrase the Soup Nazi, "NO DREAM FOR YOU!"

And now as an utter tangent, I REALLY enjoyed seeing Greenspan punched in the head by his own assumption that the people with money/power in executive positions wouldn't be so shortsighted as to destroy their own companies (and the larger corporate system) driven by greed for immediate profit rather than a drive to see the company (and the system) thrive in the long run. That's a fuckin' ponderous sentence.

Greenspan's basic precept was that a "free market" would always be smart enough to make sure it survived to make more money next year was wrong. He based his career and the entirety of his economic philosophy on that basic collectivist concept - the weak would die off on their own and the strong would be smart enough to make sure there was a world for their kids to fuck over in the family name.

The parts of Greenspan's most recent book, where he laments about the failure of the key economic premise of his career, give me the same kind of joy that watching the Berlin wall come down did. When he speaks openly about how crass, foolish and self destructive the "free market" turned out to be - and by relation, how foolish and blind he himself was proven to be...well, it just makes me giggle at the crazy old bastard.

#39 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai Posted Image

Agreed, some also define it as success.

" The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. - Lombardi

#40 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Oh, man, way to bring it all together buck.

I tell ya man, Ive been so fucking guilty of so many things that is wrong. You've pointed a few of those out in that post. I can remember a time...well, lets look forward. :)

"No Dream for you"...lmao I can see those Uncle Sam
posters with his finger out and that quote above his head...lol

The American Dream is out there. Opportunity is out there. I've had to move several states away in the past to find it, but thankfully, I found it. Once in a state that many had lived their entire life in; And were moving out of it. The job I took paid little, wasn't fun, but kept me hungry to keep going. That job also fed my family and kept us living so that I could keep seeking more opportunity.

lol, I was moving in while so so many locals were moving out. I can relate to working hard for what some would call little gain. While I wouldn't call it so 'little' considering the alternative.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!