• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

a few days ago popcorn quarts from a vendor here were innoculated using clean LC from the same vendor. Texan was the strain. Now a blue-green tinge can be observed, not trichy/moldy, on localized areas of the popcorn, along with minute white dots in the same areas. this was obviously introduced through innoculation, but the needle and innoc port were flamed (not the innoc port) and wiped with rubbing alcohol before and after each innoculation. I've never used popcorn before, could this be a sign of the myc. entering into the popcorn, or am i screwed? unforntunatly no digicam other than crappy cell fone.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

how many days in ?
temp ?
what air exchange system ?

#3 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:55 AM

3days, 80*, 1" holes in lids with thick filters underneath.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

since you used tissue
might be it bluing from stress

#5 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

hrm... could be. the popcorn itself is blue on the outer seed coat and on the kernel inside. it does look very similar in hue to mushie bluing tho. just gonna wait it out, hopefully a forest of contams won't ensue. thnx hip

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:51 AM

how's it looking now ?

#7 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

got anny pics? sorry scratch that

#8 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:49 AM

a foaf was trying to isolate using this method

http://mycotopia.net...s/5/147159.html

but he forgot to use an airport or a way to vent on one of his jars and as we all know it sucked his syringe empty. So he sucked back all the liquid he could and a few days later the popcorn started turning blue

so what i figured happened is in the fight for dominice there getting bruised and turning blue this is just a guess and might have something to do with your situation

#9 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

sorry fer the lack of update. no real growth occured, just a funky smell so i chucked em and used those two rye jars i won in the raffle last month. the blue turned more to black/purple, but it still didn't look like any contam i've ever seen. the LC i used grew very poorly, so im guessing that the extra water plus the lack of any real myc to colonize the grain sparked something growing. those jars were autoclaved for two hours, so i think the LC may have been contammed. the new rye jars are working a treat tho... 50% coloniztion in 4 days. only problem is i saw one grain that looked a little green!!! aahhh! oh no.... hopefully the myc will knock out whatever invader that is, probably trich.

#10 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

So he sucked back all the liquid he could and a few days later the popcorn started turning blue
so what i figured happened is in the fight for dominice there getting bruised and turning blue this is just a guess and might have something to do with your situation

i think its actually the excess water causing some ungerminated endospores in the popcorn to germ.... or something completely different ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!