Fisana

- - - - -

Best storage method for dried mushies

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:32 AM

Okay, weedy and I are in conflict over the best way to store our dried mushie friends :)

I packed them in oz's in quart sized ziplocs and then stuck them in an airtight container, and put in freezer. This is what I've read as a good storage method, so went with it.

Weedy thinks the condensation from going from freezer to room temp will put moisture back in them even though sealed in the airtight container. This makes sense to me too.

So, should I toss dessicant in the airtight container with the bagged mushies and keep in the freezer, or add a dessicant pack to the container and keep room temp. in the dark?

Just wondering how ya'll thought the best storage method was for long term. I've got so much right now, I need to store it before I can give gifts to my friends...they're gonna be stoked :D

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:41 AM

I've never been to keen on freezing either. If the mushrooms are cracker dry, they will store for a long, long time in a cool dry place.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

the trick is
not to open frozen packages
until after they warm up to room temp.
that way no condensation gets inside.
gotta be air-tight tho'
else cold material will
suck moisture out of incoming air.
so it takes time,
not a quick easy grab like storing at room temp.

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Lazlo, I'll let him know he won this round of conflict :)

They were cracker dry, and all air removed from ziploc's, then placed in the airtight container. I'll toss a bit of dessicant in the container also, and remove from the freezer. Its only going to be stored for a few months or more, so room temp. is probably more suited.

When he mentioned the fact that it'd all condensate after being removed from the freezer, it got me thinking, and that it'd be best to ask you guys!

Score one: Weedy (dammit, I hate losing :D)

#5 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

I've never been to keen on freezing either. If the mushrooms are cracker dry, they will store for a long, long time in a cool dry place.

I make sure that when they come out of the dessicator that they snap when I try and bend them. If they bend they are not dry.

That said, airtight container in a cool, dark place. I don't think the freezer is neccessary.

#6 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:52 AM

Foaf stores his in paper bags in the fridge.

#7 Odin 13

Odin 13

Exciteable Boy!

• Expired Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

As a small aside, should the worst happen & LEO's invade your space, any oz's found sealed up real nice in baggies will constitute intent to sell. But mere possession of any type of scale in your house, baggies still in the box, and a whole plethora of other items would garner the same......

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

well, a little common sense goes a long ways,
and a good lawyer can often get you the rest of the way.

don't keep scales baggies and dope together, esp. with cash and/or weapons, esp. guns.

baggies go in the kitchen, as should scales.

dope should be stored with the idea of quik disposal in mind
should leo turn up.

cash should be
sent to me.
:reb:

#9 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

As a small aside, should the worst happen & LEO's invade your space, any oz's found sealed up real nice in baggies will constitute intent to sell. But mere possession of any type of scale in your house, baggies still in the box, and a whole plethora of other items would garner the same......

Yes, Odin this is true........its only for a few months etc. I break them into oz's for easier gifting to friends. I'm also going to do an extraction for personal storage, that really solves that problem I think. Also, these won't be stored where they are grown, secret storage at a friends house is best for us.

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

break them into oz's for easier gifting

seriously, it just ain't worth risking
the extra years of imprisonment
for a little right-now convenience.
you should keep it all in one pkg.
and only break out what is needed as it is needed.
every single bag, be it a gram or an oz,
is an extra felony charge
adds up very fast.

#11 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

freak the freezer is good for long term but i regularly use a desk drawer......lol

#12 littlejohnnybiggums

littlejohnnybiggums

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

cash should be
sent to me.
:reb:

-------------
LOL hippy you're a funny dude.

A question on the storage of honey cubes.

First, does honey freeze? ( Rock solid ? )

The idea of honey pops came to mind.

Take a regular ice cube tray. Lightly powder with flower ( less sticking.. ) Take a mixture of honey and powderized mix of your choice and mix the two together. Then cool them in the freezer for 15 minutes ( do not allow it to freeze) and once it becomes less drippy, and easier to work with poor it into the tray. Cover with foil and stick tooth pics or popsicle sticks in the middle.

If honey doesnt freeze, could crushed ice be added to the honey? Would ice effect the powder?

Just thoughts of creative ways to consume/store.

Thanks everyone

#13 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:29 PM

my foaf keeps his stored in a large mouth jar with a pack of descant then seals it with a vacuum sealer. the jar keeps them from being crushed

#14 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

Good, someone mentioned vacuum sealing. Freaky, ziplocks are slightly pourous, at least the regular ones are. Use freezer grade at least or go to vacuum sealing for keeping them damn near forever. :) Love the FoodSaver line. It is interesting that pints or even quarts of dried mushrooms dont look to bad as just jars of veggies. :) Helps to keep them with some other dried stuff too...just a little camoflage and they go un-detected.

#15 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

:) thanks all for the help. They are kept in the freezer ziploc bags. Gonna see about getting a vacuum sealer though. It does make the most sense!

They are hidden stealthy like at a friends for the time being.
And thanks Hip, I put them all together, easy to split em again at a later time.

#16 gumball

gumball

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

hello mycotopia :)
i'm sure its not the best way, but i've just been putting them in a ziplock baggie, rolling as much air as i can out, zipping it up and putting them in an old cigar box. haven't had any keep longer than 2 months, but i've also ended up eating whatever i had well before then :)

#17 WeedyResin

WeedyResin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

There was never any conflict. You asked me what I thought & I told you. I also said to do what you thought was best as always. I simply said that it may gain moisture when warming back to room temp.

#18 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

:lol: don't you guys live together, for crying out loud?

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

:lol:

I didn't even see his post till now. hahahha.

Weedy just likes to over analyize everything, words I type, say, or even expressions. So conflict may have been the wrong word for him, it was a conflict though. Going by what I'd read before in the archives, and then thinking about his side. Maybe I was just in conflict. Whatever, he's not so hateful towards me today :) Oops, he'll probably jump all over that hateful word I threw in too :lol:

*now he'll read that and over analyize again :lol:

Thanks for all the help guys, I had my friend check on the bunch of them in the container, and I was told they are still cracker dry. So I'm sure they'll stay that way for a while without losing too much potency.

#20 cordyceps

cordyceps

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

As some have already mentioned, food saver type storage is excellent. But like hip said, don't break them up into nice little 1 Oz packages for LEO to drool over. If you make your bag extra long you can easily cut it open and add more died mushies, then reseal. Easy enough to just throw the bag into a duffel or suitcase and put it in a cool dark closet, no freezer needed.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!