• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Free Member
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

hey friends; not sure if this has already run a discussion here but SWIM is wondering if they can use dry rice (white or brown) as a sort of desiccant for some fresh cubies?

a buddy has saved his cell phone several times after being dropped in water/liquid simply by placing his phone in a bag of dry rice.. over night, she claims it wicks the water right away!

can't see why this wouldn't work as a substitute for silica, however it might not work as quickly, it is certainly cheaper!! any thoughts? sorry again if this already has its own thread !

peace & shit

#2 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

yeah it works, but not as good as damprid/silica gel by far. Bake it in the oven for an hour first and I think it'll work better too.
rock salt works also

#3 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Free Member
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

yeah it works, but not as good as damprid/silica gel by far. Bake it in the oven for an hour first and I think it'll work better too.
rock salt works also

sweet! SWIM is trying to cut the amount of time that the mush is exposed to open air in the drying process.. not sure if the rice thing will work faster than fanning but... hard sayin, not knowin!

#4 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Free Member
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

The amount of water that is in your cell phone is miniscule compared to the amount of water that is in a mushroom.

They tell people with wet cell phones to put them in a container with rice, because it is much easier to say, than to have to follow it up with an explanation of what desiccant is, and where to find it.

Next time you drop your cell phone in the toilet, put it in your mushroom drying chamber instead of with rice, and it'll get even drier!

#5 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Free Member
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

guess the highlighted theme was the cheaper cost of rice compared to silica, calcium sulfate, etc...

but, there is no substitute for doing things the right way, so if the rice thing doesn't work it's back to the chemical stuff..

#6 wurrgit

wurrgit

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

I have to chime in and say that cardboard or newspaper works pretty well for soaking up excess moisture as well.

When i was first starting my grows i just put my harvests in my glovebox.
Its got a fan so constant airflow but the mushies didnt get cracker dry.
I placed a newspaper in the bottom of the GB, put the shrooms on top and noticed they dried quicker and completely .

#7 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Free Member
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

wurrgit: thanks for the suggestions.. will definitely have to try that out..

gotta order a large pizza pie though.... but that shouldn't be a problem? :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!