Jump to content

- - - - -

maryxmas WBS method & prep

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maryxmas



  • OG VIP
  • 155 posts


Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

This is my method of preparation of Wild Bird Seed (WBS) that I formulated over years of trial and error trying dozens of different techniques. This method is primarily a mock up of the Mycota WBS Tek with some of my own personal additions. Since using this method I have had a 98% success rate (the 2% failrue were due to bacterial contam that could be traced back to a dirty print) so it works like a charm.

First off my WBS is a personal mixture the I make up with whatever grains I can find at the time I want to make up a batch of spawn but usually my mixtures consist of: 25% White millet, 10% sunflower seeds, 25% red milo, 20% cracked corn and/or 20% wheat/rye. I find that by having a diverse mixture of grains the moisture content is easier to dial in. I am much in favor of soaking my grains instead of seeping them like many people do. This is mainly because its a no fuss no muss way of ensuring your grain isn't over saturated, over cooked, and well rinsed. I also like giving the bacterial (Bacillus spp.) endospores time to germinate so they are vulernable to the sterilization process using a Pressure Canner (PC).

Step 1) Start out by pouring your grain into a bucket and topping off with water. Here I am using a mixture of rye berries and red milo.

Step 2) Go smoke a doobie and watch gillians island

Step 3) Take a nap

Step 4) Place pasta strainers in shower and pour the bucket of water through the strainers. Now rinse the grain for a minute and pour back into the bucket and top off with water again. This is to get all that nasty starch residue off the grain so that it doesn't stick together later.

Step 5) Now let the grain soak overnight. I like to try for 16-24 hours. With the time you now have to kill I suggest you return to the couch.

Step 6) Once again put your pasta strainers into the shower and strain your grain once again. I like to give it one more good rinsing with the shower nozzle until the water coming out the other end is clear. I like to use multiple strainers to spread the grain out which aids in quicker straining.

Step 7) Shake the strainers every 10 mintues or so to shake loose any excess moisture and stir the grain with your hand to mix the wetter with drier kernels. There is no time frame for proper draining... its done when you can squeeze a handful and 90% of the grain falls away from your hand when you open it. That can be 30 mintues or 4 hours depending on grain size, humidity of the air, hardness of water.... ect.
Basically you want it wet on the inside and semi dry on the outside. The problem is all those damn capillary spaces between the grain that hold water and the smaller the grains the tighter it holds the water. Thats the reason for the shaking and mixing of the grain.... to knock loose the water. Proper moisture content is a art and takes practice.

Step 8) Load jars 3/4 full

Step 9) Place a Tyvek filter on top ( These are 6 in x 6 in tyvek patches that were cut out of a tyvek sheet you can get at a home depot or you can get tyvek Priority Mail envelopes from your local post office for FREE.

Step 10) Put lid on top with seal facing up

Step 11) Add two coffee filters to the lid and secure with a sturdy rubber band

Step 12) Cover coffee filters with tin foil and secure with a sturdy rubber band (this is done to keep water from seeping into the jars during sterilization)

Step 13) PC the jars for 1.5 hours and let the PC depressurize on its own.

Step 14) Last but not least remove the foil from the lids to allow the coffee filters to dry and shake the jars throughly to distribute the grain while still piping hot.

The coffee filters coupled with the tyvek work well as a barrier IMO. I find the best way to innoculate a jar is through these filters. I apply alittle Iso alcohol to the top of the jar and the coffee filters become transparent so you can line up your flame sterilized needle with the hole in the lid.. then upon removing the needle I cover the hole with a napkin soaked in Iso alcohol and rotate the coffee filters 180 degrees so the holes don't line up with the innoculation hole in the lid.... all very sterile and the alcohol evaporates in a few mintues.

Attached Thumbnails

  • PCing_the_jars.JPG
  • shaking_the_jar.JPG
  • lidding_the_jar.JPG
  • coffee_filtering_the_jars.JPG
  • foiling_the_jars.JPG
  • straining_the_grain.JPG
  • loading_the_jar.JPG
  • tyveking_the_jar.JPG
  • rinsing_the_grain.JPG
  • soaking_the_grain.JPG

  • eatyualive, Freaky and XQCO like this

#2 Freaky


    Head Editor

  • OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:47 PM


Excellent description and process. I copied your post as it deserves it's own thread.

Archive Material / WBS




  • Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

I love the coffee filter idea.:headbang:

#4 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

    VIP Member

  • Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

I like the use of the filters too

Think I might give WBS a try again :)

Thanks for the writeup xmas! :headbang:

#5 pizark2



  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thanks,I have been sticking to popcorn because my only wbs attempt dried out.Will give it another shot with this method.

#6 toast



  • Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

:o im waiting on this soaking method its been a few days since inoculation. let you know watup

#7 eatyualive



  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

cool thanks for sharing mary!

camel poo, camel poo.....:rasta:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!