• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

This year I am going to have a nice garden if it kills me. I am definitely planting, corn, green beans, tomatoes, beets, carrots, cucumbers, and green/red peppers. I know for sure I am going to grow bush beans instead of pole beans. I would like to grow some lettuce too. I just don't know where to start in regards to the lettuce.

So tell me what are your favorite brands of seeds? Variations? What lettuce would you grow?

Any gardening secrets you want to share? I'd love to hear them!

Awesome mermey! :cool: I may move here in a month or so to a place where I can have a garden. I didn't do one last year and it really bugged me. Looks like you have a nice selection picked out. I'll make the raised bed suggestion and if you can grow spinach give it a try. It is very hardy and works well in many dishes! Please keep us updated with pictures! :heart:

#22 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

We are in zone 6 and yeah, starting some seeds in the next month or so (some things) is what I'd like to do.
Saves a ton of money too!

I hate walnut trees in the yard. I like them in the woods. (food source for game) But in the yard they suck. Hard on paint, hard on landscaping, hard on your ankles, your back! A man could break his neck steppin' on those damn things.

#23 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

i agree i cleared a spot along a trail so wont be directly in yard or near garden, cause walnut tress have a chemical that kills off alot of plants. the nuts are damn near impossible to crack unless you got a hammer but they taste so good.

#24 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

My father in law has a huge walnut tree. Id love hear more about using walnuts.

i will get my recipes for walnut stain and stuff and post later if your interested.. its all easy to make and works really well

#25 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

If you like spinach i'm gonna recommend new zealand spinach. It's not a true spinach, it's actually a plant called tetragonia, here's the wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia...._tetragonioides

Can't eat it raw like real spinach because the leaves have fibrous hairs on them, but when cooked it tastes like real spinach. This plant is hardy as shit... it will grow in super poor soil, even grows in sand dunes at the beach. In good conditions, it will explode and take over a garden so it's best in a large planter box. It's semi-vine like and sends out runners so even in a container you'll get plenty of crop. Slugs and snails don't eat it either.
  • theMallacht likes this

#26 BetweenSpace

BetweenSpace

Mr. Growitall

• Expired Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

Garden Tip:

In Fall or Winter - Cover an area in yard with old carpet or plywood, or canvas, or tarp, ect..

Then when spring comes around pull up, carful of snakes and spideys, and grass will be gone or easy to till because the soil will be at a good condition for gardening, rich after getting the rain and moisture without getting all of the nutrients and moisture getting evaporated

Another: Save some of the leaves and straw in a corner of the yard and when time comes to garden (if it's been saved for long enough) the leaves and straw will be good to cover the garden, full of nutrients, much like composte
  • Sidestreet likes this

#27 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

I could hear your voice. "If it kills me.":lol: It will sting, bite, peck, and scar you, but you will be so happy.

#28 the1

the1

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

if you grow head lettuce stagger the plantings so you can eat it through out the season.I like leaf lettuce though it grows super fast and I just think it has more flavor. Except buttercrunch butterhead lettuce is the bomb but not really a true head lettuce.My favorite leaf lettuce is black seeded simpson its the top selling leaf lettuce because it tastes good and it doesn't get bitter in harsh sun.Spinich is a great salad to and you can blanch then freeze the extra.I like bloomsdale long standing spinich.Check out square foot gardens I have 20 4x8s they call them raised bed gardens too.great for anyone but especially if you don't have alot of space or have bad soil.The soil mix can be fudged depending on your funds so don't worry about that he uses one part of each vermiticulite/peatmoss/compost

Edited by Freaky, 17 February 2011 - 04:13 PM.
removed spam links

#29 strangedays_indeed

strangedays_indeed

meh

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

im really excited for spring this year and growing some veggies, like said before its such a great feeling of self sustainability and general comfort. :greenboun

this is a good thread i got some cool ideas from you guys. i had my had at gardening last spring/summer and now its my second year, and ill be around this sub forum for advise and good ideas!

much love

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!