Fisana

- - - - -

need long needle: DIY syringes

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_thekeg_*

Guest_thekeg_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:47 AM

I have all my jars ready, and im just itchin' to knock them up! But first thing's first...

I recently acquired some spore syringes from a friend of mine and i've come to notice that the needles on them are only about a 1/2 inch long. I plan on using the BRF Invitro tek and know it is important to get good depth with the needle in the substrate while innoculating. I DO have a suitable sized needle from an empty syringe that is not being used. What im wondering is, if I took the extra, longer needle from the other syringe, boiled it for sanatization, and used it as an extension for the short needle, would this work? If not, any other suggestions?

#2 Guest_ramen_*

Guest_ramen_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:07 AM

how about putting the needle on the syringe that has the spore solution in it, instead of putting it OVER the short needle. 1/2 inch probably wont work if you have a verm layer on top. the verm will probably absoarb the fluid and it wont get to the rice. so boil that needle for awhile and then put it on teh syringe [work carefully, wipe your hands w/ rubbing alcohol and let it evaporate] and flame your needles before injecting, as usual.

if it wont fit on the syringe or something, i guess you could put the big needle over the little one but i have some doubts. dont know till you try, though.

(Message edited by synth on February 04, 2005)

(Message edited by synth on February 04, 2005)

#3 Guest_thekeg_*

Guest_thekeg_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

wouldnt taking the needle off the other syringes w/ the spore solution introduce contams?

#4 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:47 PM

just do it quickly and don't draw in any air and you should be ok.

#5 Guest_thefungione_*

Guest_thefungione_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

you should be fine bro..it would seem. just make sure other needle is sterile before you start noccin the jars

#6 Guest_thekeg_*

Guest_thekeg_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

If i wanted to sterilize just the syringe needle by way of boiling it, how long would you suggest i do this for? I was thinking that an hour would probably be overkill for something as small as a syringe needle.

Thanks!

#7 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:57 PM

45 minutes should kill almost any mold spore

#8 Guest_karl_*

Guest_karl_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

In my youth I used a couple of alcohol soaked paper towels to "work under "or between that is to change needles
and keep my syringes under while working between jars..worked fine with no contam.
better than just out in the open..and hold your breath too..
little has not much to do with contams..it only takes one fertile one..so...what hip says..

#9 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:20 PM

i just place the syringe in an open bottle of rubbing alky
of course no open flames nearby...

#10 Guest_perpetually_*

Guest_perpetually_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:28 AM

needle to short...? just remember its not the size of the boat... but the motion of the ocean Posted Image
sorry no real info to share... just had it coming
LOST

#11 lefty_lefterson

lefty_lefterson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

Anyone use or know where to get needle vents? They're a needle with a built in 0.2micron filter designed to put in septa plugs and allow sterile venting of vials and bottles.
Those would be so cool for liquid cultures.
My internet searches aren't turning up any good sources.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:25 PM

You can check out www.helapet.com and go to the quick finder on the right. Look under disposables.

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

#14 lefty_lefterson

lefty_lefterson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:48 PM

http://www.millipore...steritest_chart
Look toward the bottom of the page for the vents

I wish I could find a place that carries them where you dont have to go through all that register log in company name fax number bullcrap.

#15 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

http://www.millipore...steritest_chart
Look toward the bottom of the page for the vents

I wish I could find a place that carries them where you dont have to go through all that register log in company name fax number bullcrap.

I feel ya there. I had to send info for a price on something that i'm interested in. I'm supposed to here back from them soon. It could be the fact that so many people misuse products like this. Syringes and so on.

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:48 AM

in some states
one even needs a prescription to get syringes

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

in some states
one even needs a prescription to get syringes

yeah, thats how it is here. a few years ago you could purchase syringes over the counter with no problem. forget it now. a lot of heroin use here. it's a shame.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 01:31 PM

:reb:

#19 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

Hi all,

I've noticed that the greatest delay in getting jars to colonize is waiting for the bottom centre to finish.

Not being a patient man :) I'd like to get some spore solution there from the beginning. I was going to punch a hole in the centre of the lid and inject straight down.

I've tried looking around my town and online and getting hold of long needles is a challenge. IF a supplier even carries anything larger than 1 1/2" needle then they are in the states, don't ship up north and will only sell to certain companies.

If anyone can suggest a way to get a 2" needle or a workaround that would be appreciated.

#20 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

Maybe you might check veterinary medical suppliers who deal with larger animals.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!