• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GodofOldGodsWatching

GodofOldGodsWatching

Jerry, your words DO glow

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

If you're running a hydroponic setup in a greenhouse or elsewhere, you're probably aware that it can be pretty difficult to ensure that the proper nutrients get to the plants, esp. if you're trying to avoid non organic additives (organic hydroponics?? doable, believe it or not)

And its safe to assume that if you're running a hydroponic setup you also have some sort of fish farming operation going on (for food or sale or even as pets) and you need to cycle that water

Solution? we started this several years ago

may seem obvious but its amazing how many people dont really think of it

use the fish holding tanks as the cyclical tanks for the hydroponics. the fish waste and byproducts in the water work wonders for the plants -- its like a small dose of fish emulsion and they are the very nutrients that are commonly lacking in hydroponic setups. and the plants clean the water, so it can go back to the fish (not 100% but a nice significant percentage of new fish water can be old fish water cycled through the plants. saves water, saves time, saves money)

So that's the background here, killing two birds with one stone as it were.

I'm about to attempt a new set up, in which the fish (koi) are sequestered in the same tanks as the plants themselves. I cant see it hurting the fish and it may be an extremely beneficial relationship, given that the fish can also consume the pesky aphids that are a continual problem (on the lettuces especially. something to do with poor temperature control in-greenhouse, i would assume, but ive not found the issue specifically yet)

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this?

#2 LargeMarge

LargeMarge

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Thats an interesting idea. I am not familiar with hydroponics but I do know that koi and carp in general like to uproot and pick at things. Would the plant roots be left exposed and if so would the koi cause too much dammage? I am interested to see how it works. It sounds pretty good.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!