126 replies to this topic

#1 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

I've been experimenting with various wood types and substrates for years now. Most people will tell you to avoid conifers and stick with hardwoods. A few months back I picked up a bag of Scotts Nature Scapes from Home Depot. I spoke with the company a while back, and got some information on the product.

It's a mixture of Pine, Fir, Cedar and Cypress. The bark is stripped off the trees, and it's composted for a short period of time. They use a water-based, non-toxic dye to make it look pretty in your yard. It's availabe in black or red, I've been using Sierra Red.

This is a wonderful product, here are some advantages:

-The price is right! I got a 45 lb bag for $5.00 (2 cubic feet)

-Scotts is available all over the U.S., so it's easy to obtain.

-The wood is very soft, so it colonizes much faster then hardwoods. With a few handfulls of spwan the tub colonized in 20 days. Hardwoods would have taken twice as long.

-It's very clean. I used it right out of the bag, without pasteurization. I simply added water and Friscosa spawn. There has been no sign of mold or contamination in any of my four tubs.

I'll post more pics as this project evolves, but definitely give this product a try!

-Waylit

I layed down a 2 inch layer of Nature Scapes first, and a few handfulls of spawn. I covered the spawn with another two inch layer of Nature Scapes.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1298056173

20 days later... happy mycelium :D
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1298056173

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5576.JPG
  • DSCN5574.JPG
  • DSCN5465.JPG
  • DSCN5467.JPG

Edited by waylitjim, 16 October 2011 - 12:41 PM.

• AmBe, TurkeyRanch, 5-MeO-DMT and 2 others like this

#2 5-MeO-DMT

5-MeO-DMT

What is it in itself

• Free Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Waylit you're freaking awesome I have like ten of these bags in my garden shed..and always wondered since they were given color and if they were contam prone...might have to get a woodlover bed started right now :headbang::eusa_clap:headbang::eusa_clap

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Great work WLJ ! :hugs:

Looking forward to seeing this experiment progress ... like Christmas.

Good ole' woodlovers. Love em dearly.

:heart:

#4 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

I've been waiting for this one, and now it's here! Woot! :greenboun

That was quick, Waylit!

#5 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Just because it colonizes,
that doesn't mean that it will fruit also,
correct?

I have some wavy cap spawn(popcorn),
looking to transfer soon to some chips,
trying to do all my research now on what type I want to use...

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#6 Bulk

Bulk

Plausibly Deniable

• Expired Member
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

Wishy's got a very valid point.
Lets see the results.
:rasta:

#7 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Wishy's got a very valid point.
Lets see the results.
:rasta:

I'm always up for a challenge. esp when it comes to woodlovers.

Really tho, I don't see a reason why they won't fruit on this substrate. The hardness of the wood shouldn't make a difference. Once the mycelium consumes all the available nutrients, it'll do what it does best... SURVIVE. In other words, grow fruiting bodies and drop spores. Never underestimate a species willingness to survive.
  • Arathu and RebelNoobie like this

#8 Bulk

Bulk

Plausibly Deniable

• Expired Member
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'm always up for a challenge. esp when it comes to woodlovers.

Just to clear things up.... that was in no way, shape or form a challenge.
I wouldn't dare!
:bow:

#9 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

I think it will be just fine. I've seen many pics with woodlovers growing out of pine cones... And if they can fruit from a pine cone, I think waylits sub is gonna do just fine.

Honestly, I think there are more subs that wl's will fruit from, albeit probably not as well. Hyphenation has shown pictorials of knotweed use. So I think bamboo, possibly even straw type materials, if there is enough food, could even work with some species. Like waylit said, they WANNA FRUIT.

#10 STLawesome

STLawesome

Residing in a dark hollow

• Expired Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

Waylit, your threads always make me want to move to the PNW(or just north really) and just grow outdoors and reclaim the space I have indoors dedicated to the hobby. Nice find on the mulch.

#11 greenkurma

greenkurma

Starjammer Swashbuckler

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:14 AM

Thanks waylitjim for pulling through with another classic morsel of golden information. Your threads are some of the most valuable on this forum.

I'm wondering if its possible to get shrooms by spreading a small amount of spawn in already existing beds of Scotts chips around the lawn. I'm about to get the lawn all prettied up and in light of this I'll be buying these at the same time inoculating friscosa jars to later add to the yard.

I have an azure bed I created with your tech its about 2 years old. I'm unsure if it fruited the second year I was anticipating it but It's now so far away I never got to check came fall. there were no fruits on the first year but it was young.. do you think there is a chance of it fruiting this spring? This is in Seattle btw.
my question waylitjim is would you advise digging up the bed and moving the bed?

Edited by greenkurma, 19 February 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#12 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

I'm wondering if its possible to get shrooms by spreading a small amount of spawn in already existing beds of Scotts chips around the lawn.

Absolutely. I would first check to make sure the existing mulch is not colonized by competing mycelium. If it looks clean, you're good to go. Remember to keep your spawn together rather then spreading it out. Just dig a shallow hole, plant your spawn and cover with mulch.

I have an azure bed I created with your tech its about 2 years old. It's now so far away I never got to check came fall. My question waylitjim is would you advise digging up the bed and moving the bed?

It's entirely up to you, if you're intent on growing azurescens, I'd stop by the area and check the vitality of the patch. Dig around and see how much healthy mycelium exists below the surface. If it looks good, take some spawn with you in a bag. Personally, I wouldn't rip the whole thing up. Take some spawn to play with, and let the rest be happy where it is.

#13 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Remember to keep your spawn together rather then spreading it out.

My best producing patch came from extra mulch and a contamed wl cake made with hpoo (ala waylits pan cakes). It was nasty, so I just buried it whole. It over took it in one summer and is still my best producer 5 years later (with added mulch, of course).

Sorry if I'm posting to much in your thread, Waylit, this stuff just gets me too excited! :p

#14 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

awesome, waylit! making it even easier
can't wait to see some fruits

#15 slacker

slacker

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Just because it colonizes,
that doesn't mean that it will fruit also,
correct?

I've been using this stuff for a couple of years and they fruit just fine off it.

#16 PitcherCrab

PitcherCrab

Crescent Fresh

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

Very cool! I've been checking out this stuff as well. I've seen quite a few posts of Bay Area hunting finds with large patches of woodlovers growing on this exact stuff. Apparently they love it. And for $5 a bag, the price beats the hell outta any hardwood smoking chips I've been able to find locally.

#17 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hmmm, in my neck of the woods its actually $1 per cu ft more expensive than hardwood mulch... I wonder if it lasts longer than HW. Right now I am adding adding about 15 cu ft to my largest bed every other year.

#18 dpwishy

dpwishy

A Fisher Of Souls

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 1,987 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

waylit:

I got some wavy cap spawn going,
I just started 4 1/2 pint jars of popcorn.
They were 70% done and I shook them,
and they took nearly 2 weeks to recover!
Such delicate myc...

I realized breaking it up and spawning,
would be unrealistic,
I learned that with the shake.
Do you recommend taking them out as "cakes"
and setting them up as pillars,
adding chips around them,
thus taking away that insane recovery time?

Also what size chips should I go too?
I am not in a rush and have a couple months,
should I go to more sawdust/pulp before actual chips?

Thanks brother :bow:

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

#19 PitcherCrab

PitcherCrab

Crescent Fresh

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

How do you think this stuff would do with LC? Would it need any supplements?

#20 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Do you recommend taking them out as "cakes"
and setting them up as pillars,
adding chips around them?
Also what size chips should I go too?

I'm not a fan of having grain in my tubs. Wood is very resistent when it comes to contaminates, grain is very suseptible to various molds. Here's what I would do. Place your popcorn 'cake' in the middle of a tub and cover with Scotts Nature Scapes. This substrate is very soft, and will colonize quickly. Once the mycelium expands and colonizes the tub, transfer the woodchip spawn to a new container. Collect the popcorn from the middle and bury outside or discard. Fruit your woodchip spawn in a tub, or create a new bed outside. Hope this helps! :heart: WLJ

How do you think this stuff would do with LC? Would it need any supplements?

I would colonize a small amount of popcorn with your LC. Once you have healthy popcorn spawn, try the advice I gave Wishy above. G'luck.

Edited by waylitjim, 07 March 2011 - 10:42 PM.

• dpwishy likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!