• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:09 PM

foaf does not have a hygrometer bt water droplets do collect on sides of rubbermaid, so he think rh in the 90s. can too high rh completely stop growth?

#22 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

also not cakes, rye berries cased.

#23 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:37 AM

Without pics it's really hard to tell, but if the casing is pulling away from the sides it sounds like it is drying out. I would wait a little longer to see what it does then harvest and mist the hell out of it. Or, you could scrape the casing layer off, dunk it, and recase.

#24 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:33 AM

1" is a really thick casing layer. Too thick, imo. Now, if you're watching the project grow every ten minutes the way most of us did on our first few grows just walk away for two days, then take another look. Chances are, they will have grown. It's also normal for the substrate/casing to pull away from the sides a bit. Remember, as the mycelium consumes the substrate, it gets smaller.
RR

#25 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:51 PM

yeah maybe my friend is just a little too excited, ill tell him to just wait a few days and see what happens. But how long does it usually take for pins on a casing to become mature fruits?

#26 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:30 PM

pins -> IME take about 1 week to develope + or - 2 days or so..
LOST

#27 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:15 PM

alright. also pins are almost pure white in color stems and caps with a VERY slight rust color on caps. normal?

#28 yoguru

yoguru

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

thats what you're wanting to see... once they get a little bigger the caps will get a little more color to them.

#29 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

foaf came home today and pins have grown and are still lookiing healthy :eusa_eh: will have a camera tommorow and try to post some pics.

#30 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

Woot, my first post here.....

heh anyway, As RR has said, it is normal for a casing to pull away from the sides a little bit as the mycelium consumes it. It can also be a moisture issue.

The thing with a verm casing layer, is that it is sometimes hard to tell when it doesn't have enough moisture. With a peat and or coir casing layer, you can tell because of the color change of the casing layer.

What you can do, is to add more moist casing material to the sides of the container where your casing has pulled away. This will also help to prevent side pinning, which can be a pain come harvest time.

Side pinning does happen from time to time IMO no matter what, but that will help to greatly reduce it.

GL TO YA!

#31 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:21 PM

pins -> IME take about 1 week to develope + or - 2 days or so..
LOST

I find this to be the norm for me also.

And welcome Srgtm1a!!! Nice to have ya at the topia! Enjoy!!!!! :)

#32 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

ok so foaf decided to pick the pins that stopped growing then dunk an re case.his other casing has begun to pin and they are looking healthy. He made some tea out of the little ones about 5 grams wet and WOW :teeth: those little bastards are potent. stiill waiting on a camera so I can post some pics.

#33 Venice

Venice

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

Is the misting recommended here to be plain water?

#34 wovotom

wovotom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:48 AM

im currently wating on my pins, hope those lovely little bastards will hurry up

#35 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

Plain water is fine for misting if you must mist. Just make sure that it is fresh.

Is the misting recommended here to be plain water?

#36 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:58 PM

OK heres an update casings were dunked 12 hrs and recased pins have formed and are much bigger and faster growing, have been misting daily with 1:200 bleach solution(they seem to like it) but something strange has happend, some of the pins have black spots on the stems. They only go about halfway up the stem and you can tell where they stop because not only is there no more spots the stems are thicker and have a more healthy appeareance. have picked one and tried to wash off the black with a water rinse but it would not come off so i dont think its mold but have no idea what it is. when cut open the little guy looked healthy on the inside. im just hoping its not some contam that will ruin the casing:eusa_pray if anyone has any info please let me know. thanks in advance

#37 BennyBlanco

BennyBlanco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 391 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

Not sure about the black stuff...but u prolly dont need to use bleach..try h2o2 if u must...I only use h2o2 when I see cobweb...plain water should be fine

#38 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:54 AM

I've always gone with rubbing for mold, if it comes of its mold if it doesn't than it usually isn't.

So you are probably right in assuming that it isn't mold, but then what the hell is it??

Any way that you could get a picture for us?

#39 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

don't use bleach for routine misting,
just water

#40 Sloth139

Sloth139

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:57 AM

2nd flush 010.jpg

2nd flush 012.jpg

2nd flush 009.jpg

2nd flush 008.jpg

2nd flush 007.jpg so foaf picked all the ones with the weird spots and increased humidity and BAM the rest seem to be growing much happier:eusa_droo first pic is the little ones from the first casing and rest are the other casing which had a lot less pins originally but a couple fatties which are still not mature, and now is pinning like crazy while the fatties are still growing.the camera didnt get to the house till after the first one was picked too bad...:( wish i had pics. guess the title of this thread might need to get changed...damn;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!