11 replies to this topic

#1 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

MrsGumball and I were fortunate enough to acquire this non-working chest freezer via craigslist. Now that we have it home we a couple questions.

1. What is the best way to go about removing the compressor and other unnecessary components?

2. Is it possible to keep the functionality of the light built into the lid? I've included a picture of the cord that comes out of the lid. This is plugged into a male connection that comes off of the compressor.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0284.JPG
  • IMG_0270.jpg

Edited by MrGumball, 19 February 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#2 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

why not leave the compressor in there? to get it out bust the lines by bending them and unscrew the base of the compressor.i used to remove these all the time and take them in for copper bearing when i collected scrap metal.make sure and snap these lines outside.the freon gas is bad for you,it gives me a headache.also this yellow, foamy,greasy shit comes out quite fast sometimes so watch your eyes and it makes a mess!i've accidently sprayed myself in the face many times and find it makes my skin a little itchy so wash it off if you get it on you.

hook the cord up to the light and it will work on its own without any other "mystery wires" to cause you problems.

bleach it good also.

#3 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

Know anyone in HVAC? They would switch the pump to run opposite how its now and it will warm the inside instead of cool it :D

Otherwise I think I'd cut the compressor out and maybe try to install a warm water reservoir and pump the water through the coils. Or just put a heat bomb in hit and adjust it accordingly :P

#4 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

hook the cord up to the light and it will work on its own without any other "mystery wires" to cause you problems.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't quite get what you mean. The end of the cord that you don't see is (I'm assuming) wired to the light. I don't know why else there would be power running to the lid of this unit. There is a separate power cord for the compressor. I need to know how to power the cord in the picture once the compressor is removed.

I'm removing the compressor to reduce the weight of the unit. It needs to be moved to the basement by way of one very steep staircasel

#5 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Know anyone in HVAC? They would switch the pump to run opposite how its now and it will warm the inside instead of cool it :D

Otherwise I think I'd cut the compressor out and maybe try to install a warm water reservoir and pump the water through the coils. Or just put a heat bomb in hit and adjust it accordingly :P

Ben, thanks for stopping by. The compressor is shot. I have plans to install flexwatt and one or two computer fans. I already have a hydrofarm thermostat from my current incubator.

#6 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

iamsmiley, does this picture give you a better idea of what I'm talking about?

If you look closely you can see the male clip trying peaking out of the same hole the compressor power cord is running out of. It can also be seen in the first attached picture.

Is it as simple as cutting off the white connector and wiring to an extension cord?

*I don't know why the picture is rotated. Original does not show up like that on my laptop.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0291.JPG

Edited by MrGumball, 19 February 2011 - 11:26 PM.

• Mikefromearth likes this

#7 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:54 AM

2 cords,that's funky! it does appear you have a seperate cord for the light.look around and see for sure if thats all it's powering(pretty simple unit).i'd have a look at the bulb to first, before hooking up a power cord to make sure it appears to be a regular 110v powered bulb.what was that cord clipped into before? i'm a master of disaster not an electricial but if all appeared well with the bulb it should not have a choice but to work?? you only plan to plug it in when you load it with spawn anyways,right?

#8 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Pull out the bulb and see if it has any markings on it (serial number/wattage/volts).

Do you have a multi-meter? You could power on the unit and see what kinda power is coming out where that plugs in.

It's looking like you could simply put a plug (or splice in a length of extension cord) on the end of the wire and you'll have light.

Or you could disassemble the light fixture in the lid and use those wires to hook up something else.

Whats the make and model of the freezer? You should be able to find a manual on this unit at the manufacturers website.

Edited by Ben Dover, 24 February 2011 - 09:39 AM.
spelling

• Mikefromearth likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,502 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

If the lines are still pressurized, depending on the type of freon it uses it might be a good idea to have it recycled/contained instead of venting it to the atmosphere. No matter which kind of freon it is, it's a violation of federal law to just let it all out. I'm generally not too concerned about what the laws are, but in the case of a releasing a harmful substance into the environment I think it's a good idea to avoid it if at all possible (that is, I'd recycle it even if there wasn't a law and definitely if it's the older ozone-depleting type).

And since the chest is so well insulated, it might end up getting too hot inside from the heat generated by the growing mycelium. Once growth gets to a certain point it will probably stay plenty warm without any supplemental heat at all so IMO it should be modified to allow venting/cooling as well as heating. You can just crack the lid open, but then it's letting in unfiltered room air whereas a hole with a fan/filter would allow venting while keeping the inside as clean as possible.

Good luck with it...

#10 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

Here's some links that might help inspire you. Nice find by the way!

http://mycotopia.net...-incubator.html

http://mycotopia.net...-incubator.html

http://mycotopia.net...eezer-pics.html

#11 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

Found a wiring diagram. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

Thanks Ben, Freaky, Smiley, and TV for stopping in and offering advice. You guys are great!

#12 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Sorry! Took me longer than a day.

Ben - Took a peak at the light in the lid. It's 25 watts.

Someone who knows more than me took care of the compressor. Now I just need to know if I can power the light in the lid and how.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0305.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!