Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Make A Recycled T-Shirt Octopus Dog Toy :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 simianhorizon

simianhorizon

gnarwhal

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:34 AM

I recently got a new dog. He's a staffordshire/ridgeback mix, 2 yrs old. He has a LOT of energy. He likes to play a LOT. So, instead of spending money at the local pet supply store to buy him toys, I decided to make one for him out of old t-shirts. Clothing reconstruction is a hobby of mine, especially t-shirt recon, so I have a lot of old t-shirts in storage specifically for these projects. But most people have plenty of extra t-shirts that they don't wear, and that's all you'll need besides a pair of sharp scissors and about 1 hour (and a dog ready to go CRAZY for a new octopus toy, of course!)
I photographed the steps along the way to illustrate.

Supplies: Three extra large t-shirts (or more if you want. This works best with 100% cotton shirts that do not have seams along the sides of them), sharp scissors

Step 1: Cut off the hem of the t-shirt. Set aside, you don't need it.
Step 2: Cut 1" - 2" strips across the shirt up to the arm pits. Do this with all three shirts.
Step 3: You will have loops of t-shirt material. Stretch these out so that they are super long loops of t-shirt. This is easier if the shirts are seamless because they don't tear.
Step 4: Cut all the loops in half. Gather in the middle.
Step 5: Take a piece of t-shirt and tie it tightly around the middle of the strands. Wrap around tightly and tie again.
Step 6: Separate each side into four sections. This doesn't need to be exact. Use more sections if you want to. Braid and then knot ends tightly.
Step 7: Now you are finished! You should have something that looks like a very abstract version of an octopus or squid or something of that sort.

Now you can put the creation on your dogs head like a wig and take a picture. You can also see how long he will let you leave it there before he goes CRAZY with it. And if you dog is like mine, how long he will leave eight sections intact.

HAVE FUN! I hope you guys liked this! It was fun making it and even more fun watching my dog play with it <3

Attached Thumbnails

• octo10.jpg
  • octo9.jpg
  • octo3.jpg
  • octo4.jpg
  • octo5.jpg
  • octo6.jpg
  • octo7.jpg
  • octo8.jpg
  • octo2.jpg
  • octo1.jpg

#2 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:16 AM

My first thought was my dog would have that thing back in shreds within 30 seconds... But it looks pretty solid. Good job. I'll have to give it a try. Cheaper than the ropes at petstores by far, and any dog would love more than 1 extra end to latch onto :D

#3 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• OG VIP
  • 3,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:03 AM

Nice work Simian :)

#4 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

This is awesome, all those overpriced toys at pet stores tend to be destroyed within seconds, its rather frustrating.

I'm a big fan of recycling too, especially if there's a worthy reward for my hard work, such as in this case.

#5 simianhorizon

simianhorizon

gnarwhal

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

It only has 5 arms left, but I'm sure if you put a lot more into it or just made one big braid it would be stronger.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!