• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Posting this up to put the pics in later.

This is a multispore grow of Psilocybe Caerulescens var. Caerulescens "Tonila Group" from the Cactu/Rockefeller collection. Spores gifted to me by a member of the OMC.

The point was to see if P. Caerulescens could be fruited from a standard PF Tek cake, thus making them more readily available to the OMC.

Substrate is organic long grain brown rice ground in a standard coffee grinder, mixed with water + vermiculite in standard ratios.

They were cased with a sand/cactus soil 50/50 after full colonization. (about 2-4 weeks) [sidenote: this casing was pasteurized some two weeks prior to casing.]

They were immediately put into fruiting conditions: 95-100% RH with misting every three days or so. After about 14-20 days pins appeared.

When they first pinned one couldn't differentiate these pins from P. Cubensis pins, except for this silverly metallic luster on the pileus. They start out with this luster which eventually changes to a maroon/chestnut brown color. This then gives way to the pileus seperating from the stipe after ripping a diaphanous veil. When the cap starts to expand that darker color seems to turn into the more orangish/yellowish color that many psilocybes carry.

Still waiting for them to grow and hopefully they print! Pictures tonight!

Love you all!

Edited by the_chosen_one, 21 June 2012 - 12:46 PM.
moved to holding tank only

• Samwise likes this

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Can't wait for more!!! :bow:

#3 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:18 AM

These are Caerulescens "for sure" or of the variety that may actually be Caribea (according to Workman as far as i remember)?

Looking forward to pics. :)

#4 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Om, I can't say for sure. They were identified by Cactu and Alan Rockefeller, but I'm not sure if it was a definitive (microscopy) ID or not.

These spores aren't the ones CaptainFuture got from Prankster which Workman ID'd as Caribea.

These are the same ones TheChosenOne grew in his Tonila thread.

To the best of my amateur knowledge they are Caerulescens var. Caerulescens, which is synonymous with "var. nigripes, var. albida, var. mazatecorum". The very same mushroom given to Gordon Wasson by Maria Sabina, and also one of the ones likely to have been used by the Aztecs. (can you see why I want this species to spread :))

Edited by Aqua and Red, 14 March 2011 - 11:16 AM.
Typo

#5 MrChen

MrChen

Rocky Mountain High

• Expired Member
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

:bow:
  • Aqua and Red likes this

#6 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:00 PM

Om, I can't say for sure. They were identified by Cactu and Alan Rockefeller, but I'm not sure if it was a definitive (microscopy) ID or not.

These spores aren't the ones CaptainFuture got from Prankster which Workman ID'd as Caribea.

These are the same ones TheChosenOne grew in his Tonila thread.

To the best of my amateur knowledge they are Caerulescens var. Caerulescens, which is synonymous with "var. nigripes, var. albida, var. mazatecorum". The very same mushroom given to Gordon Wasson by Maria Sabina, and also one of the ones likely to have been used by the Aztecs. (can you see why I want this species to spread :))

Cool! Can't wait to hear your potency report also then!!

I have a half print or so of the Caribea variety that I will try growing out again this summer. Last time I tried, I misbehaved and strangled it during bulk colonization. :horse: :eusa_booh

#7 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

this is pretty accurate. at least until further microscopy decides otherwise. i added the 'tonila group' and "cactu/rockefeller collection" to the title of the thread i started for traceability. glad i did now :)

i can't wait for pics :p are these cakes birthed or cased in the jar?

nope. not good enough :mistrust: i need pics too. :greenboun

#8 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

They're cased inside the jar TCO :] Nice to see you in this thread. Would these be what everyone is looking for? :P

Attached Thumbnails

• caerule13.JPG
  • caerule12.JPG
  • caerule10.JPG
  • caerule11.JPG
  • caerule9.JPG
  • caerule6.JPG
  • caerule7.JPG
  • caerule8.JPG
  • caerule4.JPG
  • caerule5.JPG
  • caerule3.JPG
  • pin4.JPG
  • pin5.JPG
  • caerule2.JPG
  • caerule1.JPG
  • caerule.JPG
  • pin3.JPG
  • pin1.JPG
  • pin2.JPG

• Samwise likes this

#9 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Awesome stuff Aqua and Red.

#10 stonesun

stonesun

Space Traveler

• Expired Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

Those fruits look exceptionally healthy.
Very nice!

#11 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

:eusa_clap

Nice AR!

#12 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

beautiful! outstanding work!

about how tall would you say they are getting?

i have had some that rival some cubensis in size and surpass them in weight. potency is far superior as well. i'd rate them about equal to or a little better than ps. cyanescens.. almost like ps. baeocystis.

how do you plan to re-hydrate?

:heart:

Edited by the_chosen_one, 15 March 2011 - 04:46 PM.

• Samwise likes this

#13 Cultosaurus

Cultosaurus

Aspiring Psychonaut

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

Those are beautiful. Very nice grow!!!

#14 Aqua and Red

Aqua and Red

Mycophilliac

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

Thank you all for your comments in my thread. I gotta admit, I do it partially for the praises, but as the old saying goes, "Give back to what you have taken from.":bow: and I know I don't do that enough in life, so Caerulescens meeting the PF Tek is trying to do just that.

Here are more pictures, my greatest joy would be one day everyone being able to cultivate the very same mushroom that Gordon Wasson took on that history changing first journey.

Make sure you check out the dwarf caerules coming from the other cake.

Good thing I made two. Hopefully some normal size will come from that cake in the future.

Something that I know TCO has observed and I'm observing now, is that even with this sandy casing layer and healthy fruits, the mushrooms don't want to stay upright and attached.

My theory is that because they are the "landslide mushroom" that they've gained an evolutionary advantage by toppling themselves over, thereby having the stem, as well as it's fertile spore-filled cap close to more substrate in the loose soil of the landslide.

Or maybe they're just saying, "Pick me! Pick me!" :loveeyes:

Om: Definitely let you know the magic of it all :space:

Everyone else: Left you some rep and thanks for your praises.

Much love for you all and this community once again!

Thank you all who have come before me to make this possible!

PS: Sensei, I was thinking of just plopping them out of the jar and dunking, adding more casing as needed. How does that sound?

Attached Thumbnails

• caer7.JPG
  • caer8.JPG
  • caer6.JPG
  • caer4.JPG
  • caer3.JPG
  • caer5.JPG
  • caer.JPG
  • caer1.JPG
  • caer2.JPG

• Samwise likes this

#15 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

Awesome grow and some great pictures man :bow:

#16 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

the last two pics are dropping spores so that answers that question :)

i thought you would dunk them. probably the best route to take. the only thing to watch out for with these is not to get too much, if any standing water. i would let them drain for a few hours after dunking just to be safe. they will fruit while water logged, but they tend to get rot and they also tend to fall over much earlier. this was the trouble i had with the island tek. i like your method even better. i think it will allow for much better control.

"My theory is that because they are the "landslide mushroom" that they've gained an evolutionary advantage by toppling themselves over, thereby having the stem, as well as it's fertile spore-filled cap close to more substrate in the loose soil of the landslide."

you very well could be onto something here. it seems most fall just as sporulation begins.. often so early the spores can't be seen with the naked eye yet, but they are there. i have managed to get good prints from every fallen fruit i have printed. perhaps they not only use wind currents to spread spores, but a natural slurry of sorts by using rain water that flows down the slide area. i would imagine many good food sources are exposed and even more build up at the bottom of the slide. there would not be much need to travel far. :eusa_thin

i feel archive material in your future my friend :bow:

#17 BREEDERS

BREEDERS

GanjaMaNiaK Again

• Expired Member
  • 717 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

magnifique

:amazed:

#18 iatebadshrooms

iatebadshrooms

And It stained skyBlue

• Expired Member
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

Very cool, Never knew of anyone to actually grow em out with success until now! Pretty little mushies!
Although I have to say that, with these exotic varieties they never seem to turn out as beautiful and full as they do when growing in the wild, Like Weilii I have seen Waylit grew, they were kind of deformed and didn't have that classic look, these seem to be lacking that classic look to me, but That's the way it goes with indoor shrooms.
Still nice and thanks for sharing

#19 aliendreamtime

aliendreamtime

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Absolutely beautiful! I love the shroomy pattern on the base of the stem. Excellent.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!