• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

Alright, I hoped I would never be in need of this information, but I find myself in such a situation so..

I am in need of good stealth ideas. Of course, a certain measure of inconspicuity is always in order (as this hobby is of questionable legality where some of us reside). In my case, however, the "co-residents" of my household would not take kindly to propagating the magic. I have heard the invitro is pretty awesome, but the logistics, methinks, would be a bitch to work out in my situation. I.E., I have no PC, jars would be a pain in the ass, and how the hell do you get them out anyway? With a fork?

I have been looking at ideas such as the log tek (terribly conspicuous), and growing in Mycobags. What are the ramifications of the bags? It seems from advertisements that they colonize and fruit all in the bag with out ANY attention? A pipe dream? According to the site, you inject and periodically shake, and with time.. mushrooms!

I also thought about doing an outside grow, but it would have to be incospicuous as hell. Not necessarily stealthy, just not obviously man-made. I have neighbors and would prefer that they not see a little tarp-covered, picket-fenced, garden-like bed of illegal mushies :eusa_thin. All in all, it doesn't seem as feasible as a stealthy indoor grow. I really think I'm leaning towards those bags at this point, but I need to know more details from anyone with experience there.

Thanks! And as always, safe home.

#2 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:51 PM

You can fruit invitro inside the bags. You can inocculate them and pretty much forget about them untill fully colonised. Atfer that they need light, not for photosynthesis, to trigger pinning and give direction for the mushies to grow. So a flouro tube in a closet with the bags to make them pin and fruit would be the least conspicous method. Heck you could put the bags in a tub in the closet with the light as long as you let heat escape.

#3 Gamera

Gamera

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:22 PM

I think invitro is for you. You may be able to get away with no PC - bags you definitely need a PC (PC is recommended though, even for PF tek). All you need to do is innoculate and put them somewhere with a bit of light and in a few months you pick, dunk and do it again. You can get 6,7, 8 grams dry off a half pint (when they are fully colozined they shrink and you can just pop them out and pick the mushrooms off). You could do 12 half pints in a couple shoe boxes and in a few months with no fanning, no misting, no fruiting chamber, no perlite etc. have a couple ounces dry.

As Hippie3 puts it: "this method is designed first and foremost for the hobby grower who is primarily interested in the product, rather than the growing process. It isn't pretty, but it does work great."

#4 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

The best outdoor grow is a simple plot which is left on it's own. No tarps, hoses, buckets or shovels, just let Mother Nature take care of it until the day the weather is right and you notice some shrooms.

#5 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

True all that Gamera but if they got the mycobags pre-sterilized, or jars for that matter, he wouldn't need a pc. Also if that vendor works out his jar return policy he wouldn't end up with an evergrowing stockpile of jars. You don't necessarily need a pc but you'll probable end up with more contamination if you prep your own jars or bags. In the long run a pc saves you a bunch of money because brown rice flour costs about $2.50 a bag, wide mouth 1/2 pints are about $9.00/doz,and a bag of vermitculite is only a few dollars at best. So about $15 for supplies as opposed to the same thing from a vendor for about $35. That'd be $20/doz you could be saving! Bags are about the same I believe. I haven't used but one mycobag before. I won it from a contest and it contammed. Either way invitro is about the best stealty grow method for your situation from the sounds of it.

#6 Gamera

Gamera

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

Shows where I am I didn't even think about getting pre-made bags. That would be pretty easy, now that you mention it. Pre-made jars too, which are pretty reasonably priced. I guess it depends on what your objectives are.

For stealth sclerotia forming strains are supposed to be good too, and a prestailized bag would be made to order for that.

#7 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:52 PM

http://mycotopia.net...html?1107364405

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

One of those big black trunks I would do. Hook up a light, do invitro jars. Would work nice and stealthy and is lockable. 12 half pints invitro will yeild well imo. :)

#9 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the great info, guys. I understand the concept of invitro. I was once doing the PF tek and never birthed a jar, 'cause it wasn't doing well. Completely forgot it existed, and a few weeks later I re-discovered it... with mushrooms inside! Albeit rotten, disgusting mushrooms, but this was before I had read about invitro on the net and I was stoked that they grew on their own in the jar! One of them was HUGE too!

Anyway, would it be best to use completely full jars, as if I were using the PF tek? Or those partially full rye-berry jars that are normally used for spawn? I understand the need for light and all that jazz, lol... I have grown mushrooms a number of times, just always been PF tek. Never done anything like casing, logs, invitro (intentionally), or otherwise.

P.S. I have one of those huge black trunks, and yes it is lockable, but locks don't stop people in a position of authority. I won't say who, as I'm not sure what many of your positions would be on this, but think real hard who those "co-residents" are and you'll understand better.

Thanks again!

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:53 AM

if that vendor works out his jar return policy he wouldn't end up with an evergrowing stockpile of jars.

dunno about you
but ain't no way
i'd mail someone
used jars with my prints/dna
on 'em.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:55 AM

btw
jars of grain don't fruit well invitro

#12 WeedyResin

WeedyResin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

I think the idea that Hip posted about LED tek in a storage unit would be the stealthiest so far.

#13 Gamera

Gamera

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

Start with plain old full PF tek jars. When fully colonized the substrate shrinks giving a little room for shrooms to grow.

#14 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

I haven't tried to PC just a little bit in a jar, but I have used a suggestion from Mr. Rabbit. After doing a G2G I leave a little (about a 1/5) in the orginal Pced jar, close the lid, and leave in room light. This method takes anywhere from from a few days to several weeks.

#15 Mychotic

Mychotic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:37 AM

This storage unit idea intrigues me.. but I'm skeptical as to how safe it is? Any insights Hippie? Anyone? Hip, you seem to advocate this idea alot, as I've seen in most of the posts regarding people getting "busted" (particularly on college campuses). Why is that? I would think it would be a horribly easy way to get yourself caught, growing so public.

A few other questions: Were I to overcome this paranoia and attempt a storage facility grow, what would be an ideal method? I have no idea what LED is, and if someone could point me to a post (I searched and turned up nothing), I would be much appreciative. What about hiding it within the unit? Such as locking it up in a trunk, toolbox, or what-have-you? Doing so would make control of factors such as humidity, temp, and air exchange difficult, would it not? One of my favorite ideas thus far is a log tek, but how feasible (and safe) is that inside of a storage unit?

This idea is appealing to me more and more every day so all insights greatly appreciated!!!:hippie:

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:38 AM

the trick is to first do a bit of surveillance to establish the facility's normal routine then fit in.
for example SWIM rented a 10x10 foot storage cubical
and noticed that in the mornings various contractor-types would arrive
and load their equipment in their trucks so that's when SWIM would harvest and remove debris.
anything needing to come OUT was placed inside large LOCKED footlockers and loaded into the truck.
likewise SWIM noticed same contractors returning late in the afternoon
after work to place their equipment back in storage so that's when
anything needing to go IN was taken, again in large LOCKED footlockers.
a look-out was posted to keep an eye out for strangers approaching
and the lockers already there would be opened for harvesting, etc.
a few shelves were set up and a folding table and chair, etc.
adapter [screwed into overhead light] with plug-ins was used for power.

dress, look and act appropriately,
blend in and avoid contact & loitering.
have a plausible cover-story
and be aware-
many facilities have video surveillance
so spot the cams and avoid them.
ballcap and sunglasses advised
esp. as entering/leaving facility.
extra safety tip -
get set of 'extra' vehicle tags,
not traceable to you,
glue magnet on back
and stick on before approaching facility.

ALWAYS pay rent on time,
dispose of trash properly -[off-site]
and in general be a 'good' customer.

as for led = light emiting diode

but i recommend el wire instead
battery powered and already pre-wired
so no engineering is needed.

possible source for el wire = http://www.elwirebes...com/elwire.html
EL WIRE

Attached Thumbnails

• 12231641.jpg
  • light-up-clothing_1893_1618142.jpg

#17 Dr_Love

Dr_Love

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

I tried this one time and it worked pretty good. Get a good strain that is really easy to grow like the B+. Then make some substrate jars and innoculate..yada yada yada. Go buy those green water filled protector things that you put around tomato plants. Put like 6-8 of these in your yard or garden and everyone will think you are growing tomatoes. Just grow like 2 tomato plants and inside all the others put a little bed and just wait tell its pickin time. THe protector things keep humidity high, shade from direct light, and know one can see inside them from the outside unless they walk up and look inside one.

#18 Cthulhu's Tentacle

Cthulhu's Tentacle

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hide them in plain sight

Over the next week or two, start cooking dishes with various legal commercial species, like fresh shiitake, and mushrooms other than the white button type.

Talk about them with your room-mates like you're so in love with the mushrooms you looked up online how to grow them at home.

Describe the techniques to your room-mates until they re so sick n tired of hearing about it, they tell you to STFU.

Then start growing whatever shroom you want, and point your tubs out often to your room-mates, to keep them as uninterested as possible.

#19 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:14 PM

I'd just order some premade jars and grow invitro under my bed in a locked footlocker...

#20 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Don't tell nobody about your project.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!