• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:53 PM

Ok...so given that ergot is a fungus i thought this would be a good place to ask. I'm using Rye Berries to grow my Agaricus and other strains of mushrooms on. As i'm pouring the grain into the jars for prep...i see grains of rye that are about 1.5-2x the size of the other grains and are black and hard...very unsimilar to the 99.9% of the other grains...but there are a bunch in the 5lbs i bought. Is this ergot?

#2 kingstrrophariad

kingstrrophariad

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

ive had this too, it really does NOT affect your growing! ergot is a very dark PURPLE. ive seen it. the dark shit i have no clue what it is but i do know it sterilizes at normal temps.! if you want ergot(which some do, its the only illegal componet of lsd)then let your grain sit out and rot!!!

acually you should give it the minumum off moisture then let it sit in a pile.
when it turns a dark purple thats ergot! this is my opinion, ergots a strange fungus!

historically it infects psilos, thats why i recomend pilling it.

#3 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:52 AM

Ergot is the number one thing "Grain Inspectors", Federal, State, And Local, look for. I don't see how it could be there......if so, some heads would come off....
Grin.......slp/fmrc

#4 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

i'll take a picture.....

#5 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:51 AM

ok...took the pictures. I bought 5lbs of "Hard Winter Rye" at the local Ag store...it was being sold as ground cover for gardens for overwintering. 5lbs cost me $2.40 w/ tax. When i made my first jars i noticed a few grains that looked funny. They were what is in the picture. The smaller ones are broken. You can see a white center of the black mass. And for the record...ergot doesn't spread to the already grown rye. The spores infect the flowers of growing rye seed and replaces the grain inside the flower as it grows.

Attached Thumbnails

• mushroom_ 109.jpg
  • mushroom_ 108.jpg
  • mushroom_ 107.jpg

#6 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

Looks like all the pics of ergot I've ever seen. That may be why it was being sold as ground cover and not to a bakery.

#7 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 05:33 PM

ok...i bought 5lbs...that fills like 5 1lb cans of coffee. I went through 1 full can to take the pics and that's what i found. I wonder if i should go through it all and take it out.....i did a bit of reading on it and it has to "overwinter" to sporulate...so...i might be ok....plus i'm autoclaving it for an hour. Anyone want ergot?

#8 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

I found this while searching for spores of different bioliminescent mushrooms.

New Ergot Alkaloid Source?

While doing some research, I have run across what is potentially a breakthrough for a new, easy to produce source of Ergot Alkloids such as Ergotamine.
US Patent 2640007 (sorry no link) is entitled "Production of Alkaloids by Clitocybe Subilludens" and describes the culturing of the mushroom fungus Clitocybe subilludens, now known as Omphalotus olearius (Jack-O-Lantern mushroom)to produce Ergotamine, Ergonovine, etc. in large scale commercial production!
Omphalotus olearius is a common mushroom which grows on the roots of Oak and other hardwood trees, and also is bioluminescent, i.e. it glows in the dark. Apparently this particular strain was originally found near Gainesville Florida growing on or near Canary Island palm trees. It is unique in that it is the only other source of ergot alkaloids other than in fungi that infect grass type plants like Claviceps.
Also interesting is that the patent authors discovered that the yield of mycelium may be increased substantially by utilizing fruit juice concentrates (i.e. Orange juice) in the culture medium. They also mention that the "type and quantity of the alkolids" may be influenced by "those skilled in the art that the well-known methods of producing mutations, such as the use of ultra-violet light or certain chemicals".
Omphalotus olearius is wide spread in North America. I would venture that by taking samples of many mushrooms, and testing with Ehrlich-van Urk reagent and paper chromotography/UV light, one could find a strain that produces Ergot alkaloids. (Particularly strains from Northern Florida!)
Omphalotus olearius is a very robust and hardy fungi, and submerged culture in large fermenters should be quite easy. It is nowhwere's near as fussy as Claviceps with regards to growing conditions.

#9 story_teller

story_teller

Dreamer

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:28 AM

does any body know anything about making LSD from ergot (if i'm spelling it right).
you know...the original way. no insane ass chemicals and shit.

#10 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:13 AM

Every way to make lsd involves some "insane ass chemical shit".

#11 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

much harder than you'd think
read the synth sheet on erowid.org

LSD:heartbeat

#12 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

LSD has not been found to exist in nature, it is a human synthesized molecule.

Ergot contains LSA, which can be converted into LSD, but it is not an easy synthesis. It requires chemicals, knowledge and glassware. I think that is the "insane ass chemical shit" you are talking about.

IMHO, LSA is a better trip than LSD anyway, though LSA is much less potent (ya gotta eat a lot more than 90 mics of LSA to get off).

If you want to extract LSA, however, I would strongly caution against starting with ergot. If you do a simple extraction, you will also end up with some nasty compounds that cause ergotism mixed in with your LSA. Google that word "ergotism" and do a little reading. Ergotism is BAD stuff.

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose and Morning Glory seeds are both excellent (and more readily available) sources of LSA than ergot. You can do a simple extraction with any number of common solvents and extract the LSA from HBW or MG without taking a chance on giving yourself ergotism. I would suggest the HBW as the most reliable source of LSA. LSA content varies widely in different types of MG.

You can also put HBW or MG seeds in a coffe grinder, powder 'em and drink the results with a little water. You'll get off quite nicely, though you'll also likely vomit from the volume of wood pulp.

Please do not screw with ergot. BAD STUFF.

#13 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

check out pissybee's pybop method if your interested http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=9372

that should give you a better perspective of what your dealing with.

#14 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

LSD has not been found to exist in nature, it is a human synthesized molecule.
Ergot contains LSA, which can be converted into LSD, but it is not an easy synthesis. It requires chemicals, knowledge and glassware. I think that is the "insane ass chemical shit" you are talking about.
IMHO, LSA is a better trip than LSD anyway, though LSA is much less potent (ya gotta eat a lot more than 90 mics of LSA to get off).
If you want to extract LSA, however, I would strongly caution against starting with ergot. If you do a simple extraction, you will also end up with some nasty compounds that cause ergotism mixed in with your LSA. Google that word "ergotism" and do a little reading. Ergotism is BAD stuff.
Hawaiian Baby Woodrose and Morning Glory seeds are both excellent (and more readily available) sources of LSA than ergot. You can do a simple extraction with any number of common solvents and extract the LSA from HBW or MG without taking a chance on giving yourself ergotism. I would suggest the HBW as the most reliable source of LSA. LSA content varies widely in different types of MG.
You can also put HBW or MG seeds in a coffe grinder, powder 'em and drink the results with a little water. You'll get off quite nicely, though you'll also likely vomit from the volume of wood pulp.
Please do not screw with ergot. BAD STUFF.

I think you are the first and only person that has said they prefer LSA over LSD. I definately think I prefer Lsd. Much more potent and powerful, extremely cleaner trip. Most people I've talked to or read about taking Lsa never had the profoud breakthroughs I've seen with Lsd and often have moderate to severe physical issues during and after the trip. After all, if it was just as good as Lsd it would be equally illegal, controlled and more widely used. Of course like they say, different strokes for different folks. :)

#15 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

ergometrine in LSA is what causes the vasoconstriction and can give leg cramps or numbness in limbs and more.. It causes ergotism...

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

I also love Amanitas and Daturas (specifically nightshades - the scopolamine/atropine mix is my fave). I have also done the nutmeg thing quite a few times and very much enjoy dissociatives and psychedelics together. I guess I should preface experience opinions with those points.

I just prefer a rougher ride. I like fighting a heavy body load while getting off - the harsh physical centering really improves the trip (for me).

I did not realize that LSA was the cause of ergotism. I never made the connection that ergine and LSA were the same thing - D'OH.

#17 story_teller

story_teller

Dreamer

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Holy Shit PissyBee !

no PHd required....i don't know about that.
i don't think any of that made any sense.
at least it didn't to me. got a laymans version
or do i just need some studying?

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

lol
there is no 'layman's easy manual for making lsd'-
it's a complex chemical procedure
far beyond the typical kitchen chemist

#19 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:36 PM

Holy Shit PissyBee !
no PHd required....i don't know about that.
i don't think any of that made any sense.
at least it didn't to me. got a laymans version
or do i just need some studying?

That tek is a new method, with high yield, easier to get chems, and pretty much makes it more simple than ever before.. Casey Hardison was working on it, but we only know it works in smaller amounts, as no legal chemist has been able to get permission to work with large amounts.. It is left up to clandestine chemists, which may or may not be posted, and/or 100% accurate, coming from an internet forum... The idea is solid, but it probably needs a bit of tweaking, which only someone with a working knowledge of chemistry, would have a chance at perfecting.. The write-up is not for the kitchen chemist, it involves expensive equipment, dangerous/suspicious chemicals, and complex organic chemistry concepts..

So, YEAH, get studying! ;)

#20 story_teller

story_teller

Dreamer

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:06 AM

oh well.
Another post gives an extraction for LSA from HBWR.
lime juice and orange juice. do yo have to injest the wood
pulp at the bottom in order to get off good.

thx

almost forgot. where do get per.torch incense
i didn't see it in any of the sponsors

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!