JanSteen

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

Good write up!

Maybe I missed it but:

- Label your materials.

- Write everything down before you do it.

I've seen my fair share of lab-accidents happen at schools, erlenmeyers flying through the roof, unbalanced centrifuges, people spilling Cybrsafe on their hands, labcoats and each other.

Nitrogenous vapors without aeration in the room..

When there is no label, stuff can be anything from white wine to 18 molar sulfuric acid.

One gives you a hangover, the other makes you hang over (or whatever is left of your corpse).

Writing stuff down before you do it, forces you to think before you act.

In chemistry reactions can be faster than the blink of an eye, so it's better to blink a few times before you take a shot at losing that eye. Also, when shit goes wrong, you'll know where to look. Or the cleaning party sent out for the remains will know what they're dealing with.

"But what if we get busted?!" Yeah, if you get busted, they'll find out what you've been using and how you've been using it anyways. This can work two ways: having documentation lowers the costs of criminal research so it could come down to a lower punishment. The other way: they'll know about your secret ingredients, which could just as well be labeled XXX, as long as you label it and all the rest properly which will not have effect on your sentence.

If you don't label it, and get busted with illegal stuff, a clean-up guy could be harmed which translates in a heavier sentence. There is simply no excuse for not labeling things or not writing actions down. The label doesn't have to specify anything, but it sure makes things easier and safer to work with.

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#22 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 2,009 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

All excellent points! Always wear eye protection, lab gloves and clothing you don't care about.

Would you weld steel in a teeshirt, shorts and no eye protection? (If you do you're an idiot), then don't do it in the lab!

As one of my electrical engineering profs used to say: "Tarry not with the one who disregards safety, for he is not long in this world."

#23 Arathu

Arathu

Woodlover

• OG VIP
  • 2,680 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

All excellent points! Always wear eye protection, lab gloves and clothing you don't care about.

Would you weld steel in a teeshirt, shorts and no eye protection? (If you do you're an idiot), then don't do it in the lab!

As one of my electrical engineering profs used to say: "Tarry not with the one who disregards safety, for he is not long in this world."

At least stay back past the minimal safety distance for the arc flash.............hearing protection is of great value in that case also.................just an observation on my part. 

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!