Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Does anybody have experience with propagating an aloe vera from a cutting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 simianhorizon

simianhorizon

gnarwhal

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

I haven't been able to find very much information on this, besides that some people consider it impossible.

The only thing I have really found that says it's possible is to simply wet the cutting and stick it in some rooting hormone, but that was not very extensive and I would like to find more info.

Is anybody familiar with any resources as far as this topic goes?

#2 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

As long as where it was cut is callused,just place it it in some dirt,keep it moist and put it in a shady area.A bit of light is ok just not direct sunlight.It will start to grow roots within a month or so.

#3 XQCO

XQCO

KNOW THYSELF

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Not sure how much sense it makes or what specific kind it is, but I've seen aloe rooted in a bottle of water.

#4 simianhorizon

simianhorizon

gnarwhal

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

As long as where it was cut is callused,just place it it in some dirt,keep it moist and put it in a shady area.A bit of light is ok just not direct sunlight.It will start to grow roots within a month or so.

how far down into the powder should i dip? like an inch? 2 inches?

#5 OREO

OREO

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

i just dip it water then a rooting solution and plant it keep the soil moist and u should be fine. just do not keep in direct sunlight for a few weeks. have had mixed results when doing so. about an inch or 2 deep

#6 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

No need for rooting hormones,just place it a couple inches in the dirt and it will be good.If you want to use rooting gels/powder it wont hurt,just dip it in there,cover the bottom a bit and plant it.Either way will be good.

#7 simianhorizon

simianhorizon

gnarwhal

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

No need for rooting hormones,just place it a couple inches in the dirt and it will be good.If you want to use rooting gels/powder it wont hurt,just dip it in there,cover the bottom a bit and plant it.Either way will be good.

Yes, since you guys gave me the advice I have planted it. I did end up dipping it in the rooting hormone.

Right now it seems to be doing well. All of the moisture in the leaf has sucked out of the majority of it and is heading towards the bottom, so I am thinking its rooting effectively.

I just really don't have that much experience with aloe, and have successfully used rooting hormone for bonsai projects in the past (since it's kind of a bonsai staple for propagating tree branch cuttings).

#8 Stoke

Stoke

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

i snapped a small aloe vera plant, like 6 leaves(?), off a ginormous wild plant, and put it in moist soil in a coffee cup in the shade with an hour of direct light each day, and it shot out a 1/4 thick taproot in under 2 weeks. i let it callouse over for maybe 3 days.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!