11 replies to this topic

#1 mycota

mycota

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:07 AM

Posted Image

Fresh off the stir plate. Beer, Apple juice & what were once a few EQ spores getting giggy with it. Posted Image

#2 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:20 AM

Stir plates rock for liquid culture. I thought I was the only one here who had one..lol. So, how does the beer/apple juice stack up to malt/yeast?

#3 mycota

mycota

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:36 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

how does the beer/apple juice stack up to malt/yeast?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Never did malt/yeast. Because, - at least for me - nute yeast always clouded the culture a starchy milky color. So, I never innoc'ed it.

Have done light dry malt / dextrose many many times & this stuff is at least it's equal, or better.

#4 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:07 AM

Strangely enough I've had the best liquid culture success with a mixture of high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, and regular corn syrup. All ingredients together are no more than 5% of the solution.

I got the mixture pre-made so I don't know exactly how much of each to use, but you can get it at any KFC. (kentucky fried chicken)
They call it "Colonel's Honey Sauce"

The convenient part is that the little honey packets come with the right amount for a half-pint jar. No measuring!

Posted Image

#5 Guest_busst_*

Guest_busst_*

Posted 25 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

well i'll be damned, tahts an idea!

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 01:54 PM

Damn man, it looks like that mixture's rockin!!! It's really taken off since the last pics you posted. Do you stir everyday?

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

Hey man, are ya there?

#8 kevinfergo

kevinfergo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

that's nice to know reefer37 cause i have a bunch of those packets saved and been looking at them wondering if they would work good after reading up on certain teksPosted Image

#9 moby420

moby420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:16 AM

Reefer, Do you just mix water with that packet and PC? How long do you PC for? Thanks

#10 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:44 AM

I put one packet in a 1/2 pint jar thats about 2/3 full. It helps to use hot water because the honey dissolves faster.

I put a washcloth in the bottom of a pot so the jar's not sitting directly on the bottom. Then fill the water in the pot about half way up the jar. Bring to a strong boil, cover, then back off the heat some but keep it lightly boiling. Steam for one hour. no pc. (you can use one, but I don't)

Ready to innoculate when cool.

#11 moby420

moby420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:44 PM

Thanks alot reefer for giving me the details, I really think I'll try this after my first grow.

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:48 PM

Cool. Good luck on your first grow!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!