57 replies to this topic

#41 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:16 AM

wanna hear something really funny? i have a flowhood... HF's old one actually. I'm just too lazy to use the damn thing. LOL

fahtster

#42 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:24 AM

:teeth: thats one of the coolest things ive seen

hehe by the way, the hand-made drawing makes your discovery so much better in my opinion ;)

#43 crankykid

crankykid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:59 AM

I also enjoyed the drawings.

= )

Great idea. Definitely going to try it.

Why have so many injection points. If the shroom's always going to grow

towards the light, why not just always place the injection point closest to

the ground?

Crankykid.

#44 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:05 AM

Faht, that is absolutely ingenious. I have a remark though. when you inject water to retrieve the spores, you will inevitably aspirate some mycelium from the colonized corn, so here's a suggestion to avoid it, you need to create a small area in your jar by glueing a piece of plastic across the bottom of the jar from wall to wall. your corn will go in the larger area as illustrated in the picture (sorry I modified your picture). when the print is made you can inject water without fearing of contaminating your solution with mycelium because the water will be in the isolated section. This way you will have a pure sterile spore syringe :)
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1152172591

Attached Thumbnails

• faht2.jpg

#45 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:34 AM

thats a good point cyberdoc although it wouldnt matter as long as you used the syringe immediately. For creating a spore syringe to store that might be a good suggestion.

#46 cyberd0c

cyberd0c

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:52 AM

thats a good point cyberdoc although it wouldnt matter as long as you used the syringe immediately. For creating a spore syringe to store that might be a good suggestion.

Thanks hogwild, but the point of creating a spore syringe is to be able to store it, if you want to use immediately then you only need to aspirate some mycelium and not have to go thru the hassle of creating a print then aspirating it :D

#47 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:04 AM

thanks yall. :) good points for sure... definately thought about the aspiration of myc. surprisingly, the syringe i made from the jar had little to no myc. in it.. looking at the vaccutainer that I transfered the spore water to, theres maybe a spec or two but thats it. I put the vaccutainers in an ultrasound bath, so those couple specs don't stand a chance of beating out all those spores... if i really wanted to get rid of them... i'd just let them sink and settle to the bottom and then suck up the top spore water. i use distilled water for my syringes and put the vaccutainers in the fridge so i'm not too worried about the few bits of myc. that may get in there. :)

fahtster

#48 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:04 AM

thanks yall. :) good points for sure... definately thought about the aspiration of myc. surprisingly, the syringe i made from the jar had little to no myc. in it.. looking at the vaccutainer that I transfered the spore water to, theres maybe a spec or two but thats it. I put the vaccutainers in an ultrasound bath, so those couple specs don't stand a chance of beating out all those spores... if i really wanted to get rid of them... i'd just let them sink and settle to the bottom and then suck up the top spore water. i use distilled water for my syringes and put the vaccutainers in the fridge so i'm not too worried about the few bits of myc. that may get in there. :)

fahtster

#49 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

If you are going to store it, it's better stored as a print, it will last longer.

Thats a very inventive tek although it seems like a bit of overkill. When you turn the jar on it's side, won't some of the substrate spill about? Spores don't contaminate like living mycelium. Unless there is an obvious source of contamination nearby, taking a sporeprint in the air we breathe everyday is not that hard or dangerous.

#50 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

very cool and inventive!
:D
thanks

#51 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:09 AM

Unless there is an obvious source of contamination nearby, taking a sporeprint in the air we breathe everyday is not that hard or dangerous.

you've obviously never been to fahster's house. LOL the idea is that i KNOW these spores are viable. I've done plenty of spore prints in the air just fine like you said... but theres been a good number that weren't fine. esp. in the summer when mold spore count in the air is very high.

although it seems like a bit of overkill

not really, i already took a myc. syringe from the jar that i used to innoc. 24 1/2 pints and 6 quarts. so this is just a little added bonus. and it's sooooo easy... just set it on it's side and wait.

won't some of the substrate spill about?

thats why you need to wait a couple days before you set it on it's side... let the corn re-colonize enough first so that the corn is all stuck together again. :)

fahtster

#52 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

just storing pics here.

faht

Attached Thumbnails

• printonglass.jpg
  • printlid.jpg
  • growingprint.jpg

#53 shadyfigure

shadyfigure

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

good idea phat, thanks.

#54 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

Damn, dude, you ARE the friggin' man. Really, really, really freakin' nice work.

Damn!

#55 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:12 PM

interesting, i've seen similar invitro 'accidents' but never used the spore deposits.

#56 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

maybe you could put a silicone covered nut in there so you can scrap the spores stuck to the sides free?

none the less a great tek

#57 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

i could have gotten all those spores out of there, but just decided enough was enough.. I use the tip of the needle that i'm extracting them with... is super easy to do... just bend the needle to a slight angle so that when the needle is at an angle to get it into the jar, the first 1/4 in. of the needle is actually flush with the surface of the glass for very easy scraping. :)

fahtster

#58 night_ryder

night_ryder

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

ok, just a thought. ever thought of adding moist verm to the popcorn mix to help improve the first flush, so bigger mushies will grow and therefore more spores released.

im just throwing a few ideas in here to maybe help a lil bit

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!