help! leaky coolmist
Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:02 AM
Any restriction in the output (hooking it up to a smaller hose) causes water to leak out the side of the thing.
Did yours do this?
If so, how did you stop it from leaking?
Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:03 AM
I am going to refab something to it to see if it stops that, or if its just that model of coolmist that leaks like that. I ended up just tossing it in the martha for the time being until I can get a hose that is just right that won't cause leaking through the sides.
The way it was, worked for a month or two, then it started leaking etc. MAybe part of it also is the water that runs back down into the humidifier. Right now its in my martha, until I get something that won't make it leak and will provide 90% humidity. Sorry, Rev. I meant to change that, I'll change it now, and I'll work on something. I like that coolmist, it still works after 2 years, and I've just got to figure out that leaking problem. I'm hoping I've got a better tubing that will allow more air to push through, but the larger tubing I used didn't provide enough humidity so I'm working on it.
Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:21 AM
Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:48 AM
The more I closed it up with silicone or made it air tight, the worse it got. So, I'm working on it again. And Rev., did yours leak right away? Mine took a while for it to start leaking out the side gaps. So thats why I wonder if its more the water running back into the unit rather than the restriction. Though, the restriction does play a major role also. Hmmmmm. I really love that coolmist too, I'll get it down, hopefully tonight. Sorry for not changing that post, I forgot about it.
Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:29 AM
I tried trimming a small hole in the plastic where the water builds up hoping it would encourage the water to flow back in, but it seems to come out of the sides and build up too fast for it to keep up. :(
I thought about seeling the whole thing up, but it would be a pita to clean if I did that.
Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:36 AM
Let me try a few things and see what happens with it. I've got a much larger diameter tube I'm going to try out, though those tend to dry more then humidify. Hopefully we'll figure it out.
Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:45 AM
I havn't seen the old style of kaz coolmists around, so I'm sure lots of people are going to run into the same problem with these.
I'm glad you're on it too:love:
Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:48 AM
Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:57 AM
frigg'n thing, why did they have to do this to us?
I may have to write them a letter...
Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:20 PM
Yeah, I love the filter too, its so easy to fill the coolmist too, I love it, but its got that leak problem. Those filters last a while too, I've only changed mine 4 times since I've owned it. They really do work well.
Thanks for the help Rev.
Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:44 PM
Unless the flow is completely unrestricted, they leak.
My solution to this problem is quite low-tech; I poked some holes into the lid of an old rubbermaid and placed the humidifier on top.
Every week or so I would dump the water out of the rubbermaid.
I didn't feel like re-designing my setup and buying more crap.
Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:15 AM
Rev. have you had any luck? I am thinking of lots of things, but they don't work yet :(
Posted 16 April 2006 - 01:58 AM
on a shelf maybe?
with ducting angled downward and the unit at the very top, you wont have any issues with water running-back into the thing nor will u have 2 worry about drop-off in mist output, it'll be full-steam (pun intended)
Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:29 AM
This helped, but still leaks a bit.
I like having the mist travel up a winding hose, it condencates and runs back into the resevior and lets me run it 24/7 for a good constant humid airflow.
have yall tried positionin the humidifier ABOVE the level of the input to the greenhouse?
on a shelf maybe?
I think I may end up hooking up a larger diameter hose to eliminate restriction in the flow.
I may also just say fuck it and go on to dub tubs:eusa_wall
Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:57 AM
Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:21 AM
Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:47 AM
I had this problem too and I solved it on my system. Same problems that you all mentioned, tried to seal it up and nothing seems to work. Finally, I ended up drilling additional holes in the plastic reservoir and attaching a plastic nipple to it along with additional 3/4 hoses. Key is to keep it above the water level or else it will essentially do nothing. I picked this size because the hole needed is larger enough ot make a difference but small enough to not ruin the strength of the reservoir. Since I did not need an additional hose, I ran the hose in a u and back into the reservoir filling area on the front of the unit. For me, one additional hole provided enough venting to elminate the problem. In addition, I have since taken out the plastic vent on the unit and I am in the process of installing a larger 1 1/2 inch hose coming out of the front but I am having problems finding a nice clean looking transitiion to attached the hose in. Been using plumbers epoxy putty for now and a PVC nipple. When I get my camera out tonight I will post pics.
Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:53 AM
Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:30 PM
Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:34 PM