65 replies to this topic

#1 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi everyone,
I got a grow kit from a site based in the Netherlands because I was interested in growing.
I'd love to hear any suggestions because this is my first grow and don't have much experience.
So here's whats done so far:
I used 4 whiskey glasses (thick down the bottom, reason being is that I knew they had to withstand some deal of heat during sterilization) instead of jars because in Oz they don't sell the wide mouthed jars like the Ball ones found in the USA. I just used tin foil for the tops.
I mixed up the vermiculite and rice flour mixture and carefully poured into glasses, and then covered with a layer of dry vermiculite up the top.
I don't have a pressure cooker so I steamed the glasses with a normal large cooking pot for 1.5 hrs.
I let them cool overnight and the next night it was time to inoculate. I was pretty careful, buying some isopropyl alcohol to spray the area before doing so, and I also used rubber gloves and a mask to prevent bacteria.
The glasses were put in a plant mother room grow box that I've now assigned my mushroom gowing box, and the glasses were placed in a seedling humidity dome, which I haven't seen being used with mushrooms before. After around 2.5 weeks, the mycellium had fully covered the cakes. The temps were maintained at around 25-30 degrees celcius with the help of the box being pretty airtight, a fluoro bulb, and a hand towel over the top of the glasses.
It took probably another 4-5 days for some pins to appear.. and luckily for me, so far there has been no signs of contamination :D
So far, my humidity has stayed at around 90-95% without having to spray inside the humidity dome. I did have an ultrasonic humidifier that was on standby but I dont think it will be required.. The water underneath the plastic part where the cakes are sitting is enough to keep up the humidity quite well. Temperatures have been around 21-24 degrees celcius (I opened the door a bit and have the light on only 6 hrs a day compared to 24 before fruiting).
One of the cakes has not had any pins yet even though the mycellium looks very healthy.. is there anything I can do to help it grow?
I've posted a few pics up to show you of my progress :)
Peace :)

Attached Thumbnails

• box.jpg
  • cakes.jpg
  • fuiting.jpg
  • day 1 fruit.jpg
  • day 1 fruit 2.jpg
  • incubation2.jpg
  • glass.jpg
  • incubation1.jpg

#2 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:07 PM

cool, next time keep humidity at normal ambient (room) range during colonization.
once birthed into the fruiting chamber (seperate from the incubator in most cases),
boost to 95-100% for cakes

the higher the humidity and temps,
the more risk of contamination--you got lucky
so pre-birthing the cakes, NEVER use humidification, wait till u birth

be well, and congrats!

#3 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

thanks Cap, i'll remember that, only reason i put it in the dome is cos would've thought the foil could keep out most humidity which is why I didn't think of it being a problem.
peace man

#4 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

yeah brotha,
a plaino cardboard box is fine my friend, no need to dome em like germinatin beans;)
the moisture content is fixed prior to cooking the jars,
the 1/4 cup of water you add to each PF Jar prior to cooking,
is sufficient reserve for running mycelium (its ideal,to be precise;)tried&true)
rh is of no issue pre-birthing the cakes,
as the substrate has been pre-moistened to field capacity
by you prior to cooking and will keep the inside of the jar plenty humid for colonization...
yer gonna make a mighty fine caser, my friend:smokin:
u seem to have a decent grasp of mushroom biology/basic principles of cultivation--yer concern for humidity while colonizing is a legitimate one,
but as i said, INSIDE the jar will always be 100%rh,
due to the water content of the recipe, and vermiculite layer holding that moisture in
keep us updated holmes

#5 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Cheers dude, i'll keep you updated :)

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:20 AM

Looks nice and healthy. After this flush and harvest, i'd reccomend the D/E casing tek with moistened vermiculite for cakes. Here's an example.http://mycotopia.net...html?1010683848

#7 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:31 AM

Hey, thanks lazlo, i'll have a read of it.
Just another question... Do most people harvest everything at once or one by one as the shrooms are ready? Reason I ask this is because some are only just coming out now and others are already pretty big.
Peace

#8 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

Just took a couple of macro pics of a little shroom up on the top of one cake.. This would be an abort, right?
Btw.. the little fluffy ball-ish things look okay, dont they? They have slightly different colour to the mycelium, I hope its just new growth or somethin and not contam.
peace

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1368.jpg
  • IMG_1370.jpg

#9 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Harvest the ones that are ready and leave the little ones to grow out. Best time to pick is just before the veil is about to rip. Of course if you want to harvest some spores allow the cap to open fully and then print. Nice job!Those cakes look normal to me.

#10 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:11 AM

:) Nice job, and yes that'd be an abhort.

You can do a dunk and double end case them for another flush. :)

#11 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for the replies guys,
Dunno if im gonna spore print yet, i've got lots of time to think about it anyway I guess.. I'll definetally try out the double end casing flush after this one :D
peace

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:10 AM

looking good!
ingenious & resourceful adaptations
good example for our other euro friends.
:bow:

#13 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

thanks hippy, I like the simpleness of how i've done it but it doesn't seem like my yeild is going to be that high on my first flush.. hopfully it'll increase after a dunk and 2nd flush..
Btw, i'm from Australia, not Europe :D
Anyways, just postin a couple more pics.
Peace!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1373.jpg
  • IMG_1372.jpg

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:57 AM

australia, europe- close enough.
:lol:

#15 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Hah, just the other side of the globe bro, but close enuff :p

Just took an update pic.. as u can see the two cakes on the right are very slow... the top right one has no pins at all, so a bit dissapointing.

As for the ones that are growing, didn't realise they'd grow so fat, I was thinking they'd be a little bit thinner.. lol

Does anyone know the potency of the Cambodian psilos? I'm most likely drying them instead of using fresh, as obviously harvesting is going to be a little difficult since they are all at different stages. Any suggestions of amounts of dried shrooms per person? Cheers :)

peace!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1374.jpg

#16 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:14 AM

Just picked the main clump on one cake. Was 40 grams wet. i've put them into a little lidded storage box with a PC fan blowing on them. Also have a little container of silica gel in there but i doubt it'll need it.
peace

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1382.jpg

#17 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

a cardboard box is a more practical choice, you want the humidity as low as possible
even open-air is fine
long-term storage with dessicant is strongly recommended
one may even use dessicant to aid in the drying process
i'd leave the lid open a little if it were me, alas it is not the decision is up to you
very very nice for a 1st grow, you mentioned cambodian ey?
looks like they're treating u right mate, cheers

#18 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

Does anyone know the potency of the Cambodian psilos? I'm most likely drying them instead of using fresh, as obviously harvesting is going to be a little difficult since they are all at different stages. Any suggestions of amounts of dried shrooms per person?

Cambodian is a variety or 'strain' of P. cubensis
all P. Cubensis dosing is the same, for the most part.

since yer dryin 'em,
here's some help on dosing
~bone dry:
1-2 grams = a beginner's dose
3.5 grams is an 'average' strong trip
5 grams will have you wayyyyy in the cosmos
7 grams or more is considered a 'heroic' dose, by most
...dont panic if you realize you've eaten a quarter ounce by the end of the nite
it happens.
slowly munch throughout the nite to achieved desired effect

here is the 'Dosing' section of the 'Vaults' - http://mycotopia.net...isplay.php?f=60

#19 _KlUe

_KlUe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hey thanks Cap :D
Only reaosn i was putting lid on is because I didnt want any contam hanging around the shrooms.
So is it okay to leave it off?

Yup its cambodian.. I'm hoping to get a better fruit next flush..
Peace dude

#20 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

So is it okay to leave it off?

yes.

just get a fan blowing directly on them
i use paper plates or bags and just spread em out not touching eachother
on a shelf with a fan blowing on it
lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!