Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Psilocybe tampanensis on agar first agar attempt ever.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Well I figured I'd give MEA and stone producers a shot so here's the pics. The first is 24 hrs. after scraping the very light print off of Canon inkjet photo paper. The 2nd pic is 48 hours after inocculation. The black dots are spore clumps. I have 2 and a partial Psilocybe tampanensis prints left if I screw this up.Wish me luck

Attached Thumbnails

• Psilocybe tampanensis _agar_day1.jpg
  • Psilocybe tampanensis _agar_day2.jpg

#2 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

Good luck arezap!

#3 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:15 PM

Ohh, nice Zap. Tha plates look cool.

ELF

#4 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

ooo....looks nice..:)
you gonna transfer to alot
of different plates..?
i wish you luck on this one..:D

#5 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

Actually, they look a bit too white and creamy (even when viewed from underneath). Also, tampanensis wouldn't show that quickly after streaking. Looks like bacteria or yeast man. Try antibiotic agar or give me a PM for my best isolate.

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

When you get a good plate, and make a transfer, save the one you cut from. Let it do it's thing, and you'll eventually have mini-sclerotia! Got a nice trip off a petri dish of tamps a few times...
  • tcg likes this

#7 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

workman layin down the law:D
'zap, was it done in the bathroom lab? :p
im buyin a nylon camping tent
to use as a makeshift/portable cleanroom,
usin a sterilite GB inside it for G2Gs - LOL
maybe somethin like that, collapsable, may be good for ya?
the fmrc ionizer would be awesome runnin right outside the door of the tent too
1 man tent from sears for like 30 bucks, or walmart or somethin, prolly even less
imho it sounds like a better idea than a ghetto glovebox in open air
be well my friend-better luck next time

#8 Workman

Workman

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:05 PM

Judging by the apparent contaminates surround the spore clumps, the spores themselves are likely contaminated. Airbourne contamination is predominately sporulating molds which I don't see (yet) on the plate. Arezaps method is fine if molds don't appear. He just needs cleaner spores and/or antibiotic agar.

#9 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Actually I did this in a glove box. It's a shame more folks aren't growing more stones. I'd love to see a solid fruiting tek for stone producers. I mean someone has to know how to get them to fruit or the vendors would be sporeless for these strains. Which secret society do I gotta join to get the info? It's a fairly easy to find potency comparisons, substrate mixes, etc. but no solid method I can find for getting stone producers to fruit. Alright Workman, I'll scrap the plate in a day or so after a little more observation.Can I transfer to peroxidated agar? I can't buy any antibiotic agar atm.

#10 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

pfffffffft

that aint stoppin me from pitchin a tent :p

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:10 AM

might try s.peele's hot agar pour on top of the contams,
sez the mycellia will grow thru the extra layer
clean then you can snag a thread for transfer

#12 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:14 AM

how does it look 2day zap?

#13 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

Awesome Zap!!!!! And I haven't tried the hot agar pour yet, but am going to on some oyster cultures I have. I think that may be a good try on one of the dishes. The link is in the archives. I think you want to pour the hot agar, like 1/16 of an inch, just enough to cover the growth. Best of luck, and you have sparked my interest in the sclerotia strains :)

#14 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

This was a purchased pre poured plate. It's the only plate I have with spores on it. I'll give the hot pour a shot.I'm really not so sure the plate is contaminated though.I'm starting to see rhizo action coming off the "contaminates". I have agar flakes and l.m.e. to add to it but how much for one plate?I guess I can make a whole batch and just pour the one plate but it seems a waste as I don't have anymore plates to pour but I guess I could just reheat the agar later to make more plates later after I buy more.

Here's the plate after 72 hours.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0236.jpg

#15 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:52 AM

I guess I could just reheat the agar later to make more plates later after I buy more.

Thats the best way to use every bit of your agar. If you have left over from a pour just fridge it. Next time you fire up the PC again, throw it in and you're good to go.

Good luck!

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

You might consider cooking up a batch of agar in a pint/quart using a lid that has injection ports. Using an airport syringe to equalize pressure, you can suck just the amount of hot agar you need into another syringe and squirt that on your plate.

That way, your container of agar remains uncontaminated. You can always re-heat it to liquefy for use later on.

Please keep us informed if you try it. I've been wondering how that technique would work for many moons...

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:50 PM

a wad of polyfil in the neck of a flask keeps extra agar clean too

#18 arezap

arezap

Underfunded evil genius

• Expired Member
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the tip Hippie3!

#19 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

I guess I can make a whole batch and just pour the one plate but it seems a waste as I don't have anymore plates to pour but I guess I could just reheat the agar later to make more plates later after I buy more.

make shift petris....baby food jars, half pint wide mouth or the smaller 'jelly jars'

#20 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:50 AM

sclerotia is meant to grow best on 4% MEA

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!