• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Dr_Love

Dr_Love

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hey I got a question? Everytime I eat some mushrooms, I get stomach pains followed by alot of gas. Does this happen to everyone? Is there something I can do to make mushrooms not hurt my stomach?

#2 Starscream

Starscream

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

fast before you trip, thats what helps me

#3 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

Mixing shrooms in milk chocolate helps a bit too, I find it coats your stomach and helps to get them down.

#4 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

The sugars in mushrooms cause some people stomach upset and gas, due to the way your bowels break them down. Do you also get quite gassy from eating beans? If so, I suggest Beano capsules. You can get these in most drug stores. They contain a number of enzymes designed to help your stomach break foods down without producing an excess of methane. Take twice as many as directed on the label and take them about 45 minutes before dosing.

If gas from beans isn't an issue for you, your problem probably isn't caused by the sugars, but the fiber in the mushroom material. You can't solve a fiber digestion issue with enzymes, but you can solve it by avoiding consumption of the fibers. How? Make your mushrooms into tea and don't consume the mush/grit, but filter it out.

To make tea, put enough water in the microwave (or a sauce pot) to make a glass of tea. Heat the water to boiling and then remove it from the heat. Don't boil the mushrooms. Dried mushrooms should be powdered (coffee grinder works great). Fresh mushrooms should be finely diced with a sharp chef's knife. You want to expose as much mushroom surface area as possible to the water. A squirt of lemon juice (about 1/2 tablespoon) will help to get more magic into the water.

Add the appropriate amount of powdered (or diced) mushrooms and let them steep for about 15 minutes. Stir the tea a few times during this time. Using a coffee filter (or an old t-shirt), filter out all the solid material. Sip the tea slowly over the course of 5-10 minutes.

Soy lecithin capsules can also help to ease digestion problems. If you note any liver discomfort, silymarin (milk thistle) capsules can help. Take soy or silymarin with a full glass of water about 1 hour before dosing.

Hope this helps!

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,060 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Lots of good tips here, and I have one to add: Activated Charcoal. Not just for mushrooms, but carry some in the car, leave some in the medicine cabinet, etc...

Two or three charcoal capsules stop a bad burrito in its tracks, or the morning symphony of mushroom gas. It's found at good health food stores, and is the same stuff they make you drink at the ER if you get poisoned before they pump your stomach. It locks up toxins so you crap them out instead of absorbing them, best eaten as long after eating mushrooms as possible. The label also warns against eating charcoal an hour or two before or after taking any medication as the med will be adsorbed. (yes, adsorbed).

You (any/all of you) won't believe how much of your past stomach suffering was preventable, once you start hitting back with activated charcoal. Miraculous. Can save marriages.

#6 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

This happend to me when i drank some shroom tea.

#7 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

:eusa_thin interesting, i was just going to say never happens when i make tea or alcohol extraction. only if i eat the fruit flesh itself...

#8 Mykojay

Mykojay

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

I throw em back up like an hour and a half after consumption if im really hurtin. But i dont have a strong stomach and the purge soothes my gut, i feel better and my high is always exponentially increased:puke:

#9 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:19 AM

Some people have found that even tea extractions can cause stomach upset.

If this is really an issue you can also do an alcohol extraction which has been reported to cause no upset whatsoever.

good luck.

Many good suggestions in this thread.

#10 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:42 AM

I think its different for everyone. I don't get stomach upset. I'm really lucky and thankful for that. Weedy (Mr. Freak) gets really bad stomach upset for like the first hour. He finds smoking herb right after he ingests to help calm him so he doesn't think about it a lot. He also knows it will pass in a bit. He twitches a lot too. I think if you think about it a lot and worry, it'll only get worse.

The gas, I get gas, but I burp mostly until it is digested.
The Beano is a good idea, I may try that next time.

Chocolates are a great additon. I like hot cocoa instead of tea. I use the blender to blend up freshies in hot cocoa and it works great, dry powdered mushies make great trips with little discomfort, and hot cocoa with steeped mushies(I haven't done) made like tea without the mushroom material may work great. Chocolate is hard for our bodies to digest also. So, don't take too much chocolate in as it may take a while for digestion to occur.

I think its really interesting how different everybody's bodies and minds react to the magic mushrooms. That is what is so intriguing to me about them. I am going to try an alcohol extraction for Weedy to see if it helps him with his stomach upset problems.

This is a great thread, thanks for all the info and input!!!!

#11 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

A lot of good tips/tricks in this thread. I agree with freakachino...everyone is different. I have friends that puke almost every time they do it (even on very small doses).

I personally never get sick....maybe a little upset stomach once in a very great while, but I'm usually fine. It's never made me puke though.

Things that my friends do that help them through it:

Smoke a little herb before and after eating them,

Drink warm 7up/ginger ale during and after eating them,

reading a magazine until it kicks in to keep your mind off of the upset stomach.

They say the warm 7up/ginger ale really helps calm their stomach the best out of all of those....but again, everyone is different.

I personally think a lot of it is mental, and the warm 7up is just a placebo.....but I won't get into that:) If it works...go for it.

#12 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

I think it's caused by your stomach digesting fibre. Ps. cyans are almost woody and alot of fibre, very tough on the stomach. cubensis not as bad but same problem. To digest fibre, all the water in your stomach lining gets sucked out. If you've ever eaten a high-fibre bar it says to eat with a couple glasses of water. This will prolly help with shrooms too but the water dilutes a bit so don't over do it.

#13 guitargrrl

guitargrrl

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

I occasionally get an upset stomach from mushrooms... maybe once out of every 4 or 5 trips. A little herb & ginger ale has been an old standby for me...does the trick every time. Ginger itself is great for calming the stomach down, mushroom related or not. If you're not a soda person, try a cup of ginger tea... hell you could probably make ginger/mushroom tea and get your mushies and stomach soother all at once. Candied ginger works well, but it's a little too sweet for my taste buds.

#14 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

My stomach never really hurts but on the come down I do have the poots. Hell, it feels good!

#15 SIMBIOSIS

SIMBIOSIS

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:52 PM

i always chew the schrooms until they disapear
i like the taste and i think absorbtion begins in the mouth
also the enzymes in the mouth may help wenn wery well chewn
i never had problems and allways do that way,but everybody is diferent
a god way a friend of mine found is making chocolat
grind the shrooms until they are powder
heat schocolat until its liquid,i used kichen chocolat
let it cool ,just before it starts to get hard again add the shrooms
its mostly not sweet,so add shugar i added almonds and raisins too
i used 0.6g per 3x3cm i found god effects from the chocolat i was surprised
excuse my writing errors

#16 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

Get rooibos tea from south africa, U can get it on the net or in some shops i think. It sooths the stomach and tastes gooood.

I've been biting my nails since I could walk and with a few years of boarding school food in high school, shrooms dont scare my stomach! haha No but after seeing a mass poll on here or on the shhh..shroomery where tea came up trumps. I think a bunch of crampy people tried it and it worked in most cases. I got a freind who's stomach dies a terrible death everytime on mushies and I suggested it and it was the trick.

Rooibos teabag,mushies, pot, 1 1/2 cups water, simmer on stove for 10 mins.. drink and eat/chew well:) soggy mushies after tea is finished.
I like condensed milk or honey and milk with the tea. There is NOO way your stomach can refuse rooibos tea and condensed milk ( a south african camping tradition) Its that good, heavenly...Nooo way haha

I've always had mushies like this and it kicks me HARD haha, although I eat em plain, never puked either way.

I think that some people have trouble breaking down the compact cellulose in the shroom which may with other factors give some the cramps, wind (I get wicked shroom farts though) and nausea.

Just spent easter weekend with a few thousand others (3 or 5000+ ?? who knows) camped in apple and pear orchards in the most beatiful setting in a forest next to a river in the mountains etc... a 3 day psy trance festival. Hippies, models, rastas, yuppies, ankle snappers and grannies, all races. How many kilos of mushies got consumed? how much tea? how many upseat stomachs? vearing off path sorry....haha

#17 spyker

spyker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

Rooibos tea with honey or condense milk...
Or
Buchu tea with honey and squeeze of half a lime..

For your
mushies
for your stomach.

Try it..
You'll thank me. haha

My posts should read like 30 DLB posts haha oops

#18 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

I think it's the fibrous nature of the mushrooms. Try eating enzymes with you shroom consumption. Can be found at any health food store.

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

Is there something I can do to make mushrooms not hurt my stomach?

Rolaids or Tums works for me.
:reb:

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Everytime I eat some mushrooms, I get stomach pains followed by alot of gas. Does this happen to everyone?

not every one, not every time
still very common though.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!