• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guiding Light

Guiding Light

absorbing 'perfection'

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

I think the last frost date around here is March 30th, but I'm going to be planting my seeds this weekend (May 15th) in my raised beds.

My questions are: Can I plant pretty much everything or is it too late? Are there some things I can't plant? I have stuff like carrot seeds, lettuce seeds, sage seeds, kale seeds, garlic seeds, corn seeds, bean seeds, pea seeds, melon seeds, squash seeds, onion seeds, etc.

Is it okay if I don't use fertilizer? The soil here is really rich and I think it's fine.

Should I get a scarecrow? I'm already fighting off moles, and will be pulling weeds.

What vegetables sell the best and are priority to plant?

Is there something else I'm missing with all this? I'm also watering every day...

#2 thatgreenthumb

thatgreenthumb

Mycoholic

• Expired Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

When to plant what will depend on the specific conditions of your region and the specific requirements for the varieties of seeds your have. What I do is give something a try and take notes so you can reflect for next year. For example if i were in the Gulf South currently, id be harvesting onions planted in january, waiting for tomatoes to ripen planted march, and seeding out: cucumber, okra, maybe more corn. But all this took years of bad planting to know what works best for me.
your state/local ag extension can give or direct you to information for your area.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/
What is the area of your garden and region is it in? hope this helps

#3 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

Things like lettuce, peas, radishes and spinach need cooler temps, so put them in first. If they get too hot, they bolt (go to seed).

Corn needs warmth, but it also needs a long season, so get it in when temps remain steady.

Beans are fast and like heat, so you may be able to plant them 3 times in one summer.

As for a cash crop - I'd say tomatoes. A nice red, vine-ripened tomato is so much tastier than the ones at the grocery.

#4 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

All great tips so far, here's my two cents :)

My questions are: Can I plant pretty much everything or is it too late? Are there some things I can't plant? I have stuff like carrot seeds, lettuce seeds, sage seeds, kale seeds, garlic seeds, corn seeds, bean seeds, pea seeds, melon seeds, squash seeds, onion seeds, etc.

As SHD mentioned, it's too late for cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts. Most likely to late and hot for onions and garlic to take off but if you keep em damp and partial shaded they might do. Same for lettuce.

Is it okay if I don't use fertilizer? The soil here is really rich and I think it's fine.

I suggest fertilizing about 1/4 of you garden to see how much of a difference it can make (if the soil isn't good). Either way, throw out some pellet lime so your plants can suck up the nutrients.

Should I get a scarecrow? I'm already fighting off moles, and will be pulling weeds.

Do you have a problem with crows? The moles are going after the grubs in the ground. Get rid of the over population of grubs and the moles will move on.

What vegetables sell the best and are priority to plant?
Is there something else I'm missing with all this? I'm also watering every day...

Around here, tomatoes, sweet corn, and green beans seem to sell the most.

#5 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Burpee Seeds website has some pretty good charts on what to plant when. Probably some of the other weed companies do toq, but that's what I go by.

#6 dealwis

dealwis

Nug

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

I was looking for some good information about buying some good seeds.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!