• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 MagPicker

MagPicker

Fungi Lover

• Free Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

my family has raised bees for years as of right now they have about 25 hives that they use to produce honey for sell. my father always gets mad about big comanys buying everybodys honey then they blend it with other honeys from everywhere and mark the price way up there dont seem to be enough regulations on big companys.

#22 bmmjb

bmmjb

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

I also keep bees as a hobby. Gathering the honey is really fun once you get over the rush of sticking your face into a beehive.

I started with packaged bees and a hive I purchased online.

The bees came in the mail - the mailman was scared to death when he delivered them.

As far as I can tell, the neighbors don't know they are there unless I tell them about the bees, and they do not seem to bother the kids or the animals. I may start another hive next year.

I would be very unhappy if I bought honey and found out it was really corn syrup.

Mead also sounds fun. I'll have to try that soon.

#23 datsun

datsun

Vroom

• OG VIP
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

How did you get started if you don't mind me asking?

I've been starting a small personal orchard and I could use some honey bees.

Do you just build the boxes and hope for the best or can you buy a small colony?

I would think something like this might get you looking in the right place:
http://www.bees-on-t...-apiarists.html That Shows a state by state list of apiarists if you reside in the USA.

You guys who have bees, what online resources have you found to be the most helpful?

Edited by datsun, 13 June 2011 - 07:07 PM.
wrong link.

#24 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

I just harvested 40 pounds of honey last weekend. I'm really enjoying beekeeping and I suppose I have the feds and mega corn to thank. Had they not bitched up things, I prolly never would have gotten into the hobby.

#25 RedWolf

RedWolf

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

This is really cool...

http://www.hkhoney.org

People keeping hives on rooftops in Hong Kong. Inspiring. There's a video on their site too talking about what they do.

#26 most clever ID ever

most clever ID ever

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:13 AM

Oblivion, how many hives do you have? 40 lbs sounds like a good deal more than what I need lol. I'm curious to know how far back I could scale such an operation to keep my sweet tooth satisfied.

#27 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

I've got 4 hives right now. If managed properly, one hive can produce over 100 pounds without taking all of their honey. If you take all their honey, you'll have to give them sugar water as food in the fall and spring. I like the idea of letting the bees keep enough honey to sustain themselves through the winter, I wish our keepers (State/Feds) did the same. Cane sugar can't carry the nutrients that honey does and feeding bees that can only degrade the health of the hive. I'm new at this but that just seems logical.

#28 kravenmoorehead

kravenmoorehead

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

This topic kicks ass. I love making mead but it is an expensive beverage. I like framboise which is a mead with fresh raspberries (never knew there was a p in there ???)......Framboise is also expensive but is like a rocking champagne. My aunt has a bee farm and lets me stock up when I get up to see her. Im glad there are other brewers/distillers up in here......cheers. My current project and i have a few going on is a want to try my hand at moonshine or perhaps absinth.

#29 most clever ID ever

most clever ID ever

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

whoa never would have dreamed you could get that much from one hive, thanks for the info Oblivion!

#30 imsodangraw

imsodangraw

Eurhythmicist

• Expired Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

I know a beekeeper, maybe I could get some honey off him. Hmmm

#31 abaca

abaca

jerk of all trades

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

I just checked some hone prices at a home brew shop and thought I'd share them. They had clover honey in 1.5# and 12# containers for $6 and $30 respectively. They also had raspberry and orange blossom in 12# containers for $70 and $80 respectively. So clover in the 12# container is $3.33/lb. The price of LME (liquid malt extract) is $2.75/lb. I think I'll start using more honey to boost the gravity of my brews. At this point it would only cost an extra $5 to use 8# honey vs 8# LME and honey gives you a few more ppg.

#32 imsodangraw

imsodangraw

Eurhythmicist

• Expired Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:31 AM

$3.50 a lb for wildclover at my local brewery/brewshop.

#33 stellarj

stellarj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

i sell my honey for 10 bucks a quart at farmers markets. i am very careful to make sure it's unadultered, and not overheated, etc... i was trying to make it my second job, but right now it takes up about half my time. a guy buys my cappings honey and makes mead with that. i sell it cheaper than my clean honey, and people say he makes damn good mead. the only real diffrence is it's been heated (not raw), but you heat it to make mead anyways. my kids and wife work the bees with me and its pretty nice. stellar

#34 abaca

abaca

jerk of all trades

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

It pleases me that there are so many apiarsts here. Though not surprising that it is a common hobby amongst the members.
My dad started two hives this spring with hopes of adding more every year.
Yesterday I found some local raw unfiltered honey, it was $13 for a 1lb jar. A little pricy but delicious. The honey was taken last year from hives between 7000'-9500' feet.

#35 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,909 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

This was 12lbs of local honey that came from a friend up the road and an additional quart of local maple syrup. The honey came from a gallon jug (definitely no corn syrup or anything else for that matter) and the maple syrup came from two mason jars (again definitely no additives) The mead was created May-21-2011 and has cleared nicely SSG=1.110 - FSG=0.998 and it is powerful stuff. Actually I hope it has mellowed a bit but I'm sure that a hornful of this will have quite the impact.

I am definitely planning on making some magic-mead, actually I already call this Arathu's Magic Maple Mead.

:crazy1:

The red in front of the mead is this years grape harvest from my vines. I got 42 lbs of big fat concord grapes this year and it made a nice neat 3 gallon carboy. SSG=1.088 - FSG=1.002.

I try to use only local raw ingredients, that way I know quality of the contents for real. Honey is from a local apiary, maple syrup is from local trees, and the grapes from my vineyard.

Damn the Walmart world anyway!

Attached Thumbnails

• mead5_grape1.JPG
  • mead_5_months_001.JPG

#36 Blunted

Blunted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Apparently honey bees are dieing off at record rates globally. Read some study from french scientists in a magazine. Bee Keeping is going to become a profitable venture soon.

Thanks for the info on the honey sauce OP

#37 datsun

datsun

Vroom

• OG VIP
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Wonderful pics Arathu! Im thinking about making another batch soon. My last batch is aging nicely.

#38 datsun

datsun

Vroom

• OG VIP
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Blunted, Yea I believe its related to Neonicotinoids

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neonicotinoids are a class of insecticides which act on the central nervous system of insects with lower toxicity to mammals. Neonicotinoids are among the most widely used insecticides worldwide, but recently the uses of some members of this class have been restricted in some countries due to a possible connection to honey-bee colony collapse disorder, though no scientific evidence has been established confirming that connection.

Environmental impact
There is controversy over the role of neonicotinoids in relation to pesticide toxicity to bees and imidacloprid effects on bee population. Neonicotinoid use has been strictly limited in France since the 1990s, when neonicotinoids were implicated in a mass die-off of the bee population. It is believed by some to account for worker bees' neglecting to provide food for eggs and larvae, and for a breakdown of the bees' navigational abilities, possibly leading to what has become generally known as Colony Collapse Disorder.[4][5]

#39 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,909 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'll have the raw materials for this years batch in hand soon I'm told, honey boomed last year locally. Come to think of it mushrooms were very abundant as well.

BUT,

Damn....I'll become an angry son-of-a-bitch if we kill off the bees and our honey supply with them. That's just fucked up! :teeth:

#40 burp

burp

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

here in greece we have amazing quality of honey, i buy from family friends from an island, especially thyme honey which is very delicate (but mostly only delicate and expensive, not so nutrient) and honey from "Erica Μultiflora" species, dont know the english name, which is the best honey in vitamins and anything health related, kind of bitter, that can be used by diabetics due to the low sugars and other beneficial trace elements that contains
Next year ill take apiculture course and hopefully ill start making my own honey in the future. just finished also my "aromatic and therapeutic herbs" course which is essential to honey making as well as a very useful and interesting course on its own, very happy i did this :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!