bank on bastille day 2.0.........

• MycoDani and usagolden like this

#22 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

...This is the secret philosophy of the rich, to have no fear when it comes to taking financial risks, to be objective and have good judgement, and that risk -taking makes the rich richer and richer, while we discuss how to be more careful and avoid risk altogether.

It's amazing how fearless one can be when playing with deep pockets.

#23 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

if you folks are willing to do some reading and take the time to learn some fundamentals, devoid of political spin and mind numbing contradiction, see the following sites.

these people are apolitical, honest even if it's painful, and IME remarkably accurate seers and predictors of future economic activity.

www.lewrockwell.com

www.mises.org

you're going to have to work at this, it won't be spoonfed to you. but what's more important than your own future?

you will also find out these people are anti drug war:cool: and give you the reasons why - they're fascinating things you've probably not thought of
  • McDozd likes this

#24 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,068 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

if you folks are willing to do some reading and take the time to learn some fundamentals, devoid of political spin and mind numbing contradiction, see the following sites.

these people are apolitical, honest even if it's painful, and IME remarkably accurate seers and predictors of future economic activity.

www.lewrockwell.com

www.mises.org

you're going to have to work at this, it won't be spoonfed to you. but what's more important than your own future?

you will also find out these people are anti drug war:cool: and give you the reasons why - they're fascinating things you've probably not thought of

Im just learning. Wish I knew more, so I really appreciate the helpful links brother.

#25 ams1992

ams1992

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,615 posts

Donator

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

I was spoken to about the upcoming crash as of recent as well. I was told to invest in silver as mentioned before in this thread. This is from my Dad though who I personally know has paranoia and falls into conspiracy theories. I have my money in an investment agency. The full sum. I know for a fact, the broker will advise against it whole-heartedly if I do anything with that sum besides 'let it grow.' Some advice from all of you who have lost from the former or have financial knowledge would benefit me a lot. I just entered the market last year being at the age of inheritance. Thanks in advance, I'll be frequently checking this thread.

#26 PsychonautPower

PsychonautPower

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

The Twilight Zone. lol

I have good news. My stocks are up, not down.

Does this mean its about to go down when it goes up?

#27 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,232 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Money is an illusion

Wealth is only created through work. Not pushing paper around.

YES - If you have investments, you're about to "lose" a lot.

But remember. Think back. Know. What is valuable to you?

I bet you'll say it's your time with friends.

Ever notice how poor people are often happier than the rich? Because they sit on their porches and get loaded and have long conversations into the night with their friends and family.

We americans are far too uptight and concerned with our investments to have time for these things. Which is why we are so miserable.

The market crashes? So what. How have you made someone feel lately? This is the only thing that matters.

And we can rewrite the "rules" anytime. Money is an illusion. Remember that.

Edited by Irishlion, 03 June 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#28 PsychonautPower

PsychonautPower

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Wealth is created by money, not hard work. The point of being rich, is to not work hard, or work hard to get it.

Ever hear of having your money work for you?
  • riseabovethought likes this

#29 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:21 AM

Regardless of what you may amass, you exit the stage with your hands just as empty as they were when you first stepped up.

"No one here gets out alive."
-Jim Morrison
  • riseabovethought likes this

#30 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

I had a dream.

That there was a real world crisis, not just 'some' crisis.
Things got much tougher.
And the price of gold increased 18 times.
And it was just the beginning. If you really wanna save up, hard money like gold is the only real currency.

#31 lambep

lambep

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:50 AM

Darci,

Not having money for food (or basic needs such as soap, toilet paper, etc.) is an extremely good reason to be depressed. I have been having this problem half of every month for the last few years... I've considered suicide many many times exactly when I lack money!

In other words - don't underestimate being poor. It can lead you to your death - either by disease (oh I'm so thankful I don't live in the USA with your lack of free health care), suicide, hunger, etc. I consider being rich and unhappy to be far less bad than being so poor that you don't have money for your basic necessities.
  • Raoul Duke likes this

#32 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

I am ready for a world without paper and plastic.
lets use metals, gems, minerals, coffee, cotton, food
water, services, ammo, trades, collectables, fossils, antiques
artifacts, artwork, nutrition, natural medicines, technology,
energy, medical supplies, herbs, soap, crafts, plants, clothing... etc

if we all had more of these actual items
and barter trade and exchange them more often
then we would less dependent on others holding them for us
and in turn giving us paper and plastic
in place of actual worth and work.

when the honor system of trust becomes dishonorable
then why should i put all my trust in it?

So as a normal investment i would go with actual commodities & soft commodities
along with precious metals, junk metals and gemstones and minerals.
Emergency Supplies never hurt.

Worst case for an investment like this is that everything evens out and stabilizes.
Then you have Auction material
or you could share with the man next to you
who has less and needs more - and gain some value in the worth of your being
:heart::meditate::heart:
  • Tsering and riseabovethought like this

#33 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• Expired Member
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Darci,

Not having money for food (or basic needs such as soap, toilet paper, etc.) is an extremely good reason to be depressed. I have been having this problem half of every month for the last few years... I've considered suicide many many times exactly when I lack money!

In other words - don't underestimate being poor. It can lead you to your death - either by disease (oh I'm so thankful I don't live in the USA with your lack of free health care), suicide, hunger, etc. I consider being rich and unhappy to be far less bad than being so poor that you don't have money for your basic necessities.

Money is only paper, its because we use that particular paper to get things we need to survive. Society has trained most that making more money is important, and that making money is why you are here. Think about what you said there Lamb.. doesn't that sound rediculous when you read it.(not talking smack on you at all :)) I am just saying.. doesn't it throw up some red flags? Why does our lives revolve around this thing called money? Making money, and spending it are things we are taught from a little age till the day we die. All I am saying is why should we let something so trivial as money(I know we need to survive) control how we feel about our lives? Literally imprisoning us. Finding ways to live without having to rely so much on money is a good place to start.(trading services, living cheaper, etc) Meh I rant.. I too am a prisoner of the dollar.. but am always trying to free myself more and more.
Mc
:reb:

#34 PsychonautPower

PsychonautPower

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

Thats crazy talk myco. We came up with paper and plastic to make life easier. I can't imagine holding hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of materials in my home and worry about robbers.
  • mycobri likes this

#35 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:08 AM

The abstraction that is money is the means by which the majority are swindled.
Problem is, in some sense everybody loses.

#36 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:36 AM

So it's been about 2 weeks now Lazlo.

You're magic 8 ball have any more on this market crash prediction for us?

I'm just saying, no one can predict a crash. You can look for signs, listen to analysts, dump your stocks or buy more. It's a game and an unpredictable one at that.

Any hard date so we can sell before it crashes?

#37 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Money is only paper, its because we use that particular paper to get things we need to survive. Society has trained most that making more money is important, and that making money is why you are here. Think about what you said there Lamb.. doesn't that sound rediculous when you read it.(not talking smack on you at all :)) I am just saying.. doesn't it throw up some red flags? Why does our lives revolve around this thing called money? Making money, and spending it are things we are taught from a little age till the day we die. All I am saying is why should we let something so trivial as money(I know we need to survive) control how we feel about our lives? Literally imprisoning us. Finding ways to live without having to rely so much on money is a good place to start.(trading services, living cheaper, etc) Meh I rant.. I too am a prisoner of the dollar.. but am always trying to free myself more and more.
Mc
:reb:

It all sounds beautiful and you would love to believe in it. But you don't. You can't. The world is about money and possession whether you like it or not.

There's nothing wrong about money (do not confuse money with the monetary system). The devil lies in human's greed.

#38 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

lazlo whatup!

reason i stopped investing in the american market ages ago.

and gold ain't doin too bad either. ive made a killing in the last few years.

#39 helidude12

helidude12

Flyin' to the stars

• Expired Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Isn't it amazing how much money can be made by simply "moving" your capital around! :dance:

If my father taught me one thing in my youth it was how all the power and corruption lies in the hands of the "money movers."
  • koldj likes this

#40 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,678 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Watching investments "like a hawk" isn't nearly close enough now that high-frequency traders are on the scene (and are entering securities and commodity markets now). These guys manipulate entire markets in microseconds with their algorithms and supercomputers, but like any sufficiently complex system it's subject to occasional unpredictability (chaos) as was seen in the "flash crash" of May 6, 2010.

This is enough to keep me out of the stock market until I have a building full of my very own supercomputers: High-frequency trading

some stuff about it from 60 Minutes:
http://www.cbsnews.c...in6936075.shtml
  • BuckarooBanzai likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!