• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

DukeX put up his brown rice info but I guess it got lost in the move. Anyway what are the measurements for this? I think I used 1/3 cup of whole rice and 2/3 cup of water last time but I may be way off...

#2 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:53 PM

It looks like he uses 1/2 cup rice with 3/4 cup water. I'll post a link of the tek. Might try this one myself!
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=3631

#3 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:59 PM

Damn it! I've been looking like crazy for that, the search has not agreed w/ me since the move. Thanks!
Yeah I did this tek a few months ago and got HUGE fruits off of pint sized cakes invitro and in a fruiting chamber

#4 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:09 AM

I wonder if it can be done with steam instead of a PC? I don't have the money for a new one and mine took a crap on me and won't close anymore...lol

#5 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:31 AM

Yeah, when I saw your initial post, I found the tek at the related links, located at the bottom of the screen. Looks like a good one. My foaf has been wanting to try straight grain, without the vermiculite. This looks like a good starter.
As for the steam sterilizing, I dunno. sorry. Your pressure cooker might only need a new gasket, which might be available at the place you purchased the PC at. I've been checking my local thrift stores because my foaf has been whining about how her PC is too small. I guess she really wants a big one! Maybe as someone else mentioned in the tek, you can partially cook the rice, then steam to ensure sterilization.

#6 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

This is the tek I use, Perch. It is great and no PC needed. I take no credit for this method. It was developed by Matzilla from the Sporelab.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Matzilla’s Brown Rice (not brown rice flour) cake TEK

To begin, I find this easier than making PF cakes. Some advantages are:

-There is a way to do this TEK with NO vermiculite or polyfil
_There is a way to do this TEK without a pressure cooker (PC)
-The cake is 100% Brown Rice (cheap and easy to find)
-The cake has more nutrients and generally produces larger fruits and more flushes
-There are 3 different "Lid Systems"
-You can use any "Lid System" that suits you, advantages and disadvantges are listed within
-My experience is that this TEK colonizes quicker than standard PF TEK, your results may vary

You need:
-Brown Rice (grocery store)
-Water (tap water)
-Spore Syringe (see www.sporelab.com to get these, or make you own if you know how to)
-Jars, bands and lids. I use wide mouthed pint jars, but any tapered jar will do
-(A drill and 3/8" bit) OR (a hammer and philips screwdriver) if using the polyfil lid
-Vermiculite (Only required for ONE of the "Lid Systems"), fine, coarse, it doesn't matter (Garden Centers or Walmart, etc.)
-Polyfil (Only required for ONE of the "Lid Systems") (Used to stuff pillows, Craft store or Walmart, etc.)
(NOTE: I have done this WITH success without polyfil or vermiculite, so if you don't have either, it CAN work, but please read below to see the advantages and disadvantages)
-(Pressure Cooker) OR (a large stock pot and table salt)
-Large sauce pan, or large frying pan, almost anything will do, must have a lid
-Aluminum Foil

I recommend you READ IN FULL, the PF Tek or Magic Mushroom Growers Guide. I have abridged this TEK in the interest of being concise. Read those, they are a bit more in depth and this TEK is a simple variation on those themes.

First of all, you need to cook your brown rice. Take 4 1/2 cups of water and 3 cups of brown rice, add them to your sauce pan or frying pan. Cover and cook for 40 minutes OR until all the water is absorbed. Stir every 5-10 minutes. When the water is gone, fluff with a fork and allow to sit (covered) for 5-10 minutes. This is enough for 6-7 pint jars.

Now it is time to load the jars. Using a spoon, add the fluffed brown rice to your jars. Fill the jars to within about 1/2 inch of the top. DO NOT PACK THE RICE IN! You need to have the rice loosely packed in the jar to allow air exchange. I use a SIDE TO SIDE motion after each spoonful, NOT up and down!

LID SYSTEMS:

Now we need lids...there are 3 lid systems to choose from (others will work, but I have listed the easiest here)

Lid System #1: Polyfil Lids (no vermiculite needed)
Advantages:
-No vermiculite is needed
-Good contamination resistance
Disadvantages:
-You need polyfil
-You need a drill with a 3/8" bit OR a philips screwdriver and a hammer
-One inoculation point, may take a bit longer to colonize fully

The theory here is simple, we will use polyfil to act as a barrier to contamination, while allowing air exchange. So, use your drill or hammer and screwdriver to make a hole in the middle of your lid. Then, roll some polyfil in your hands to make a tighter polyfil "rope". Stuff the polyfil throught the hole in the lid, it needs to be a TIGHT fit, double the polyfil over if needed. You have a lid, put the lid and band on your jars, tightly. Goto "sterilzation".

Lid System #2: Four hole lids with vermiculite
Advantages:
-No drill required
-Good contamination resistance
-Four inoculation points, quicker to colonize
Disadvantages:
-You need vermiculite (not a big deal, easy to find, and recommended below!)
-You need a hammer and a SMALL nail

This is classic PF TEK, put four equally spaces holes near the edge of your lid (read the PF TEK or MMGG) using your hammer and small nail. Now wipe the top 1/2 inch if the jar rim with a paper towel. Add vermiculite all the way to the TOP on the jar. Put your lid and band on tightly. Go to "sterilzation".

Lid System #3: Four hole lids without vermiculite
Advantages:
-No polyfil OR vermiculite required
-Four inoculation points, quicker to colonize
Disadvantages:
-Worst contamination resistance (it WILL work, but not the best)
-You need a hammer and a SMALL nail

This is classic PF TEK (without the vermiculite), put four equally spaces holes near the edge of your lid (read the PF TEK or MMGG) using your hammer and small nail. Now wipe top 1/2 inch if the jar rim with a paper towel. Put your lid and band on tightly. Goto "sterilzation".

STERILIZATION:

You have two options here, they both have advantages and disadvantages. Put aluminum foil over your lid and jar, this prevents water from getting into your jars.

Pressure Cooker (recommended):
Advantages:
-Better Sterilization
Disadvantages:
-You need a pressure cooker

Take your jars and pressure cook them for 30-45 minutes at 15 PSI.

Stock Pot (or any large pot with a lid):
Advantages:
-You don't need a pressure cooker
Disadvantages:
-Not as good Sterilization
-You need a large pot with a lid
-You need salt (come on now, you DO have salt don't you!)

Add enough water to immerse your jars half way in water. Heat the water to boiling. Add enough salt so that no more salt will dissolve, this will increase the boiling temperature of the water, helping with sterilization. Put your jars in and boil for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

INOCULATION:

Polyfil Lids:
To do this, you simply sterilize the needle of your syringe, get it glowing red hot with a lighter, allow to cool a bit and stick the needle right through the polyfil. Inject 1-3 mLs (same as cc's) of spore water. Goto incubation.

Four Hole Lids:
To do this, you simply sterilize the needle of your syringe, get it glowing red hot with a lighter, allow to cool a bit and stick the needle into the holes you made in the lids. Inject 1-3 mLs (same as cc's) of spore water. Goto incubation.

INCUBATION:
You can incubate these at 65-85 degrees F. 80-85 is ideal. Wait until the brown rice is colonized fully. Once everything you can see through the jar is colonized, I recommend waiting a few (2-3) more days.

FRUITING:
I recommend "dunking" the cakes in tap water for 8 hours before EACH flush. You can dunk them in tap water for 8 hours, using their original jars is fine. Also, I sprinkle vermiculite on the cakes when I birth them, not critical, but a personal preference. Read the PF TEK or MMGG for more fuiting chamber info...I am done typing!

'Zila

#7 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

Damn, thanks for the info! The salt is a really good idea to get the temp. up, hadn't thought of that

#8 Grateful_soldier

Grateful_soldier

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

I was looking through the different teks posted on this site when I found one that loomed too easy not to try, so I did. It was written by DukeX or something, I cant remember the name for sure but I think that was it. It was a tek that called for whole rice 1/2 cup and water 3/4 cup in a jar, PC for 40 min @ 15 psi, let cool and innoculate. I had alot of QT jars so I doubled the amounts but I didnt think that would matter since the ratio was the same. I also innoculated with LC made from a honey water solution of 4% honey 96% water but that semed to be doing ok. All jars started out showing very good mycelium growth very soon, but several went green so I discarded them. THe others appeared to be going well but then the mycelium seemed to stall out and the rice began to turn a very dried out, yellow color, anyone know what could have caused this? Could the yellow be a contam or would that be from the honey water? Either way they stalled out but but i was just curious about the color. It seems like if it was from the honey water, it would have happened sooner rather than a few days into it. It was a very yellow color, kind of like fried rice, lol, for lack of a better comparison. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#9 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

The key to this tek is double layering the tyvek, mine always dried out if I didn't use two layers. They do seem more prone to contams though...
I have several pint jars finishing up now using that tek. If have gotten monsters this way

#10 Grateful_soldier

Grateful_soldier

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

I see, well, that explains it because I used these filter disks that I had from a couple years ago...I have heard everyone talk about tyvek but I am not even sure what it is...I heard one person talk about tyvek envelopes from the post office, and I just installed tyvek house wrap insulation on my house...but I am not sure what kind or how to use tyvek for this type of use....care to share a lil knowledge? I know this is probably a really stupid question but I have looked and if you search this site for tyvek.....lol, well, you get alot of results and they all just say use it, none say how to use it or where to get it...

#11 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:56 AM

tyvek housewrap will work fine

#12 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:03 AM

Some swear by the kite tyvek as well. http://www.intothewi...ng/Fabric/Tyvek
RR

#13 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:07 AM

Doesn't house wrap feel like plastic? I wonder what the airflow holes size difference is between the two? Do you know rodger?

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:35 AM

Some swear by the kite tyvek as well. http://www.intothewi...ng/Fabric/Tyvek
RR

that is my favorite, it's much more like fabric than paper.
tyvek is a synthetic fiber that is mildly resistant to water vapor,
the weave is of sufficient density to make it act as a filter,
allowing air but no microbes to enter your jars.

i'd say your 'yellow' is likely,
based on the symptoms you describe,
bio-waste by-products
released by massive bacterial growth.
seems likely that your jars were not fully sterilized
and/or the rice was too starchy/sticky,
creating anaerobic areas where bacteria was favored over mycellia.
excessive incubation temperatures will make that even more likely.

#15 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 11:27 AM

I've had jars with just tyvec filters that dried out REALLY quickly from too much air change. I taped over some of the tops and slowed the air change leaving only a bit of the tyvec to let air through. Fixed my drying out problem.

#16 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

I don't have a camera yet so don't ask for pictures, lol

I made up a couple dozen whole grain rice jars (brown and white rice) and about 1/3 of the white rice jars looked really strange a few days into incubation. They were cloudy around the top and you couldn't even see into the jar. So curiousity got the best of me and i opened one of the jars outside and it was awful. Black and white gelatinous mold all the way to the top of the jar (filled about 1/3 of the jar)

Has anyone seen anything like this? It was semi solid and very slimey looking...

#17 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

:drk:

That sounds nasty nasty......I wonder why just one jar. I've yet to have a contam like that. I'll try to search to see what info I can dig up for ya......sorry for your loss!

#18 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

Were the brown rice jars OK? I haven't used white rice so I'm not sure what it may be.

#19 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

All of the brown rice jars were fine and about four out of twelve white rice jars had this contam...

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

sounds like bacteria

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!