Posted 06 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

sounds scary

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

It'd be kind of messed up to eat a $90 Powder Blue Tang (what they run for in my area at a 3-4" size)

heh.
didn't know
tang came in blue...
:lol:

#23 ShadowBoom

ShadowBoom

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

heh.
didn't know
tang came in blue...

It's been around for years man! Get with the times! :lol:
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• bluetang.jpg

#24 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

Haha. Where the hell did you pick that picture up, ShadowBoom? Looks like something out of Popular Science 1950s or something. You know...if it's good enough for astronauts on the moon, it's good enough for breakfast. Yes? Freeze dried ice cream...YES!

#25 ShadowBoom

ShadowBoom

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

Haha I just doctored up a regular (orange) tang add.

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

not the tang
i was thinking of...

#27 encapsulated

encapsulated

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

#28 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

In my tanks at work i've got a foxfaced rabbitfish, seargent major damsels, and some tangs too. Never thought about eating them before.
:rasta:

So, when you going to get on this experiment?? In the name of science! :D

#29 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:33 PM

heh.
didn't know
tang came in blue...

well when the hot tub heater breaks,,,,,,you know........

#30 synth

synth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

that blue tang drink mix
looks pretty delicious...

#31 beardedlady

beardedlady

Documented Deemster

• Expired Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

Methinks it would be really hard to carry out an experiment to test for fish like this. According to the article in Pratical Fishkeeping, the fish are probably absorbing the toxin through algae they eat in the wild.

Unless someone lives in an area where these fish can be caught...I'd think by the time you bought them from the local fish store, they've probably already lost any toxicity. Going from the person that catches them, to a holding tank wherever they were caught, to a wholesaler in the US, to possibly another wholesaler, or just to your local fish store. That takes some time, right?

Not to mention, they fish you purchased could have just not eaten the bad (or in this case...good?) algae.

Lets buy some small damsels wholesale and eat them like popcorn.

#32 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:15 AM

Ar thinks we needs to get us some of that thar' algae, no?

#33 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:32 PM

and the fire coral (atlantic...good luck getting it).

I've never been stung by fire coral, but supposedly it is one of the most horrible experiences of your life if it happens.

One of the speakers at MACNA last year told a story of scuba diving, and there was a toilet underwater that had fallen from a shipwreck, and it was coated in fire coral. People would think it funny to go and sit on this particular toilet, until their skin reacted to the neomcyst from the fire coral, and then it wasn't funny anymore. And then of course, if you touch the stinged location, or rub it, it just transfers the pain to all locations that you touch after that. What a fun time!

Sorry for all the typing and what not, corals/saltwater are one of the few passions I have, and I got excited about the topic.

hehehehhe

goto the keys... key largo or whatever... go out on a boat and go snorkling in the reefs..... its freaking amazing.. like swimming around in a giant aqurium..

you can find tons of fire coral.. funny thing is theres a statue down there in the corals(key largo fl) surrounded by fire coral..... (this is some of the blueest water ive seen in my life with a beuitiful coral reef... you can see where boats drove through it at high speeds.. bastards...completely distories it....)

it wont kill ya...

but it BURNS....

If you go out like 4 times or 3 times on the boat and go snorkling dispite warning, ONE subject in the group of two boats always touches the bright red fire coral... and gets BURNED... i forget what helps the pain, but basicly its like getting burned bad.....

kinda funny how the statue is protected by fire coral in my opion...

didnt know it was hard to find.... i guess it is VERY illegal to scoop some fire coral out of the coral reefs around florida..

- B

#34 LethalTr1p

LethalTr1p

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

This is a caption i read from "Psychedelics Encyclopedia" the other night.

*This 5-methoxy-DMT compound had already been observed in toads and even in "dream fish" (Kyphosus fuscus) found off Norfolk Island in the South Pacific. In order to test the claim by inhabitants that this fish produces "nightmares," Joe Roberts, a photographer for National Geographic, broiled and ate some in 1960. The next morning, he reported his experience to have been "pure science fiction": he saw a new kind of car, monuments to mark humanity's first trip into space and so on. A skeptical writer with him had to admit, "I ate a dream fish supper myself. I found it tasty, but strong flavored, like mackerel. I told myself not to dream, but no, I dreamed I was at a party where everybody was nude and the band played, 'Yes, We Have No Pajamas.'

i'm sure many have read that before, but i never noticed it around any of the sites while browsing.

#35 billyboy

billyboy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

* bump

#36 SWIM

SWIM

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

not the tang
i was thinking of...

I've found eating 'tang to be an effective stimulant...

#37 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

i've prolly eaten more mullet than i have tang (that's a lot of mullet ;-) when i lived off the coast of florida and i never got a buzz from it. like another poster mentioned it must have something to do with the fish's diet. i have run into fire coral while diving in the gulf and it's not something i ever want to repeat. i was told (after) that meat tenderizer works to relieve the burn - it works for jelly fish stings too.

maybe if i marinated the mullet in tang..................

#38 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

I've never heard that about Mullet either. I've eaten a few myself and have never tripped. Sometimes I wonder...........:rolleyes:

#39 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Thanks but no thanks on the toxic fish trip. I don't like fish or toxic in my trips.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!