Fisana

- - - - -

coir and trichoderma

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yogin_*

Guest_Yogin_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

I don't know if this is old news but I have been doing some research and discovered that much Coco Coir is deliberately inoculated with Trich in order to compete with other fungus in the cultivation of green plants. This means that our coir comes PRE CONTAMINATED. I would welcome anyone who knows if there are good ways of dealing with this or of brands that do not contain trich. I generally prefer Horsepoo over Coir but it has been wet and wet poo is no fun to gather.

#2 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

i never even pasturized my coir when i used it, i just ran hot tap water on it, and then added spawn. They were good for 3 flushes before it turned green

#3 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hmmm, seems like some of the stuff you get at hydro shops treat coco with trich and other things.
I would read the bag before buying any.
I found this on a google search:

Basement Lighting Hydroponics - Canna Coco Nutrients

Canna Coco

- Environmentally safe
- Economical
- Biodegradable
- User friendly

After years of extensive research the pioneers at Canna have developed Canna Coco - finely ground flakes of coconut fiber growing medium.

Coconut Fiber has been used for several years now as a growing medium in the indoor horticultural industry and is becoming increasingly popular. Canna Coco is a substrate which is environmentally safe, economical, biodegradable and user friendly.

Coconut requires pre-treating before it is suitable for use as a growing medium. Early attempts failed due to the high potassium and sodium content naturally present in the fiber. When the growers added calcium or magnesium to the substrate, the naturally occurring potassium and sodium in the fiber was released causing damage to the plant.

Research and testing conducted by the plant-food pioneers at Canna have since resolved these issues and developed Canna Coco. Canna Coco is treated and washed in order to reduce levels of potassium and sodium. Calcium, magnesium and other primary elements are also added to the coconut fiber. The result is that Canna Coco requires no special start regiment before you plant your crop. This is particularly advantageous for crops with short growing seasons.

Canna Coco also has several important qualities when used as a growing medium. Since the source of the substrate is found above ground, it is naturally free of typical soil diseases. The coconut's organic complex contains trichoderma, a mold which works to keep root diseases in check and stimulates root development.

Coconut fiber contains approximately 75% water and 25% air - an ideal ratio for almost any culture. This capacity to hold water makes the medium particularly suitable to root cuttings.

Coconut naturally buffers pH which means that all the elements required for the plant's healthy growth are readily accessible to the plant.

In addition the Canna Coco substrate can be used several times and is environmentally friendly. The disposal is simple, just empty the finely ground flakes over your rose beds or any garden bed

#4 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

Coir/Coco

This growing medium is a product of coconut husks. It is rapidly replacing rockwool as the most widely used growing medium among commercial hydroponic growers. Coco is available from countries such as Sri-Lanka, India and Mexico. Growers should be careful with their selection of coco as not all coco is of the same quality. Many of the cheaper brands will have poor quality coco, coco that is high in sea salt and even contain a lot of beach sand. We have selected the two best brands of coco available to growers: Canna Coco and Botanicare. The Canna coco is pre washed and disinfected using steam. Canna coco is also inoculated with trichoderma which is a fungus that colonizes the root structure. Trichoderma feeds on fungi in the growing medium that causes root rot and it also helps stimulate the plants health system. Canna Coco is available in 50 liter bags and growing bags and is ready to use. The Botanicare coco is also pre-washed and is available in compressed bricks, growing bags, bulk bags, etc.

I think we shouldn't use canna coco for this hobby eh?

#5 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

Eco Earth Reptile Bedding
from the pet store.
i remember RR used to warn against expensive coir which ya buy at the 'dro shop
i have only tried using ecoearth,
it seems better for my plants too!
and its easier to find--most pet stores have it,
let me rephrase that, "any GOOD petstore will have it, in bricks"
attached is a pic of it, for reference
(earth juice grocoir is the turf of hades, i strongly recommend against using this stuff for anything)
great thread YogiN :pirate:
be well

Attached Thumbnails

• brix_o_earf.JPG

#6 Guest_Yogin_*

Guest_Yogin_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

Canna Coir appears to be the most visible in deliberately inoculating with Trich. i have seen mixed reports on the Sunleaves brand. I am attempting to find out if they use Trich as it is also naturally occuring in Coir. I am sure that pressure cooking your coir might be the best solution at this point but since many have used it with success without even pasteurizing I suspect that some brands inoculate and others don't and it would be very helpful to determine which are which.
It actually reminds me of teh way that the government has morning glory seeds coated with poison to discourage them from being eaten. While it is possible that Trich is helpful in plant cultivation it is also possible taht since it has now become popular in mushroom cultivation that this is used to ruin peoples shroom crops.

#7 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

have ya checked into advanced nutrients site at all?
they sell a product (innoculant) containing 8 species of Trichodermia and 18 species of mycorrhizal fungi.
Trichodermia enhances root-mass and provides excellent control from root-rot, pythium, and phytophthora.
Mycorrhizae improve nutrient and water uptake and increase resistance to a wide range of soil diseases and environmental extremes.

www.advancednutrients.com

the product is called Piranha and the site has lots of info on these
and i have seen results first hand usin this product,
its simply fucking amazing the difference it makes in a hydro system--
so IMO this is not a crazy plight concocted by big brother to shut down the underground MC :p

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

:teeth:

Attached Thumbnails

• good%20coir.jpg

#9 Guest_Yogin_*

Guest_Yogin_*

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:25 AM

I checked with SUNLEAVES COIR which is available in hydro stores and was told that they do not add Trich so that one appears to be safe.

#10 sudont

sudont

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:20 AM

Just goes to show - always pressure cook!

#11 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:27 AM

not necessarily. I use eco earth brand coir straight from the brick w/ distilled water without a contam problem. In fact ive noticed that after sterilizing coir at field capacity it has a tendency to contam easier.
  • psilocypher likes this

#12 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:42 AM

Hrmm that brick says Resists bacterial mold.... Does that mean it has some antibacterial stuff in it?

#13 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

Is there any way to tell if an unlabeled block of coir is the type that is purposely innoculated with trich?

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

some are labelled.
you'll only find the trich-laced coir at hydro stores and garden centers,
so get it at the pet store
sold as bedding
it doesn't have trich

#15 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

cross reference

#16 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:16 PM

so no way to tell purely by looks? cuz i have a brick that i threw out the wrapper and dont remmeber the brand. i got it a hydro shop, but it was CHEAP it was a huge brick for like 2 dollars.....

#17 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

only thing discernable by 'looks' is whether its coco coir or coco fiber.
you want coir.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!