9 replies to this topic

#1 Libre

Libre

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hey everyone,

I hope this is in the right place. It didn't fit under botanicals, and seems to be a hobby, so I thought I'd ask it here. If any mod thinks it should be moved, feel free!

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for organic whitefly control. I have seedlings, and they've become totally infested. I've read that you can make a strong tea from eucalyptus and spray it all over the plant, which I'm not sure if that kills them or just makes them leave, but it sounds like something I'd like to try. I happen to have a tea with eucalyptus in it, but it also has echinacea, vitamin c, zinc, stevia, peppermint, licorice, roasted chicory, menthol extract (with soy lecithin), lavender, and chinese star anise. I know that most of these would likely be pretty safe, but some of them I'm a little iffy on. Does anyone know if any of these would be harmful to spray on a plant? Also, does anyone know of any good organic controls for both whiteflies and fungus gnats? How about a cayenne spray? Anything commonly found in the household?

Much appreciated!!

- L

#2 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

put apple cider vinegar in dishes around the seedlings for prevention, may want to replant the seedlings and dispose of the dirt, unless someone has an Idea on ridding the current set up. I have had some luck sprinkling drops of apple cider vinegar on the top of the soil. sorry to hear that, them shits are ANNOYING!!!

#3 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

put apple cider vinegar in dishes around the seedlings for prevention, may want to replant the seedlings and dispose of the dirt, unless someone has an Idea on ridding the current set up. I have had some luck sprinkling drops of apple cider vinegar on the top of the soil. sorry to hear that, them shits are ANNOYING!!!

good advice for the gnats. the whiteflies are a bitch though. especially a bad infestation. i had some on a sun opener plant and no treatments worked. not even an IGR. i had to put the plant into dormancy for a few months. that worked but jeez there has to be an easier way. the tea is interesting. please keep us posted!

#4 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

ah, never had any white flies. Gnats were rather easy to rid though, I suppose I dont know then! wouldnt hurt to try though. :eusa_thin

#5 Libre

Libre

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

Hm. Any thoughts on insecticidal soap? Maybe I'll try the spray on one plant and see how it does. I have a lot of seedlings though, and don't want them to suffer because of either lack of action, or unknowledgeable damage thanks to something in the tea. I'll keep you updated though. Thanks for your help!

#6 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hm. Any thoughts on insecticidal soap? Maybe I'll try the spray on one plant and see how it does. I have a lot of seedlings though, and don't want them to suffer because of either lack of action, or unknowledgeable damage thanks to something in the tea. I'll keep you updated though. Thanks for your help!

soaps and neem help with the air borne adults. the main problem is the invincible little eggs/larvae. i suppose given enough time these or an IGR would work, but they were moving to other plants nearby. had to do something faster at the time. the sinicuchi was a lot tougher than the other plants so i chose to move it outside for the winter. it was not hard to wipe out the early infest on the other plants. just have to catch them soon enough.

you could try the tea on one seedling first. i would do this with soaps and IGR's as well. one more route to take is a pyrethrin (which i would test on one first too). this is how i took care of the other plants.
one thing to note.. pyrethrins are photo toxic so be sure to shut off the lights long enough for the plants to dry, or at least use a very low watt cfl during that time. make sure the whole plant is dry.. even under the leaves and in crevises before going back to regular lighting.

good vibes!

:hippie:

#7 Libre

Libre

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

So I decided to try a simply and knowingly safe mixture of water, veggie oil, and chopped up garlic. Sprayed everything really thoroughly, almost to the point of dripping. I could tell right away, the whiteflies were not happy, constantly hopping from plant to plant, but never settling down like they usually do. A couple days later, and the whitefly populations have dropped significantly and the plants are looking much healthier. Seems to have done the trick!! :)

#8 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

awesome! i bet the garlic totally pissed them off lol.

:roll:

#9 BotanyPhD

BotanyPhD

Ska Ska

• Expired Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

If you want another way to control white flies use banker plants. What that is.. in a nutshell is a plant they insects will go to and leave your precious plants alone. We tried this at the college with great success. Intentionally infecting tomato plants with white flies in a green house and using a banker plant to draw the flies away from the tomato. We had about a 90% draw rate. Not to bad if you ask me.

Use papaya plants as a banker plant for white flies. Easy to grow buy whole papaya and take the seeds out and dry them a little. Plant and grow. The white flies literally flock to them. If you want to be nice you can even take the banker plant outside the greenhouse and shake it and release the white flies back into the world and take you plant back inside. We also would treat it with systemics and knock them out off the banker plant. Another way we played was with predatory mites on the banker plant as well. Worked well. Watching bug fights under the microscope was a trip.

Good luck.

Doc
  • Bassmeditation likes this

#10 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

If you want another way to control white flies use banker plants. What that is.. in a nutshell is a plant they insects will go to and leave your precious plants alone. We tried this at the college with great success. Intentionally infecting tomato plants with white flies in a green house and using a banker plant to draw the flies away from the tomato. We had about a 90% draw rate. Not to bad if you ask me.

Use papaya plants as a banker plant for white flies. Easy to grow buy whole papaya and take the seeds out and dry them a little. Plant and grow. The white flies literally flock to them. If you want to be nice you can even take the banker plant outside the greenhouse and shake it and release the white flies back into the world and take you plant back inside. We also would treat it with systemics and knock them out off the banker plant. Another way we played was with predatory mites on the banker plant as well. Worked well. Watching bug fights under the microscope was a trip.

Good luck.

Doc

so simple, yet I would have never thought of that! you deserve a gold medal for that post!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!