• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 badger1

badger1

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Hi all, I am sure this is the wrong place to be putting this thread. so feel free to move it wherever needed.
whilst working in the garden this morning i came across a peculiar little lizard which had developed 3 tails.. or a tail that split into 3 individual end pieces? I dont know.. kind of freaked me out

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 072_1290x968.jpg
  • Picture 073_1290x968.jpg
  • Picture 070_1290x968.jpg
  • Picture 071_1290x968.jpg

• Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#2 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,041 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

Awesome little lizard, It's some kind of gecko species I believe. Their feet are totally awesome, they can climb up smooth glass using little "hairs" on their toes to stick. The US military is doing some pretty intense research on these setae, the eventual goal being gloves and boots that allow soldiers to climb like a gecko!

As for the 3 tails, geckos are a family of lizards that drop their tails when grabbed or threatened. It's a wonderful defense mechanism, the tail keeps wiggling and going crazy so the predator focuses on it while the animal (now tail less) runs away as fast as possible. Trouble is, a dropped tail never grows back as magnificent as it was before; they are frequently stunted, discolored, or dysfunctional. In this case, it came back as a trifurcated tail. Pretty groovy!

I'm going to move this over to Animal Farm for you.

#3 friedrice

friedrice

FRIED CULTURE

• Expired Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

His tail looks like flames. He must be fast. :crazy1:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!