#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

Cracked Corn Preparation Technique
by Effed

Cracked Corn is an alternative to millet or popcorn.
It is easy to find and is about one third the cost of millet.
It can be found at Pet stores as bird feed and also at Feed stores.
In this tek we will use CC for short.
Note: Upon cooking the CC expands *approx* 2x.
1. Get the estimated amount of CC you want and put it into a large pot.
Next cover the corn with water and set the heat between "medium" and "high".
Stirring the pot often.
2. Simmer the CC 30 - 35 minutes on the stove is enough time, however it depends on how much you are doing and how much
water/corn you are working with etc..
(with small amounts the heat may need to be adjusted lower to prevent boil over)
For large batches this time was correct.
3. Look for the corn to "change", it gets a slime coating on the outside.
CATCH THIS! Do not let it go past this point! As soon as you see the slime coat, take the heat off
and set the pot by the sink. Have a bucket or large bowl in one bin
of the sink and use the other bin of the sink as a work area.
Scoop out enough corn to fill the strainer and run COLD water over the corn THROUGHLY,
then let it drip for a sec... then it goes into the bucket.
Also you can add a percentage of vermiculite (field capacity) to this mix for a good moisture buffer.
You could go right to the jar here...
Or
Take the strained corn and transfer into a new bucket , each time filling the strainer with corn and
rinsing again. Tap it on the sink to get out as much water as possible.
Then transfer it into the new bucket/bowl.
Fill the jars half full, this will allow for easy shaking of the jars after pressure cooking.
Pressure cook for 90 minutes @ 15 PSI
Let cool to 0 PSI with gloves/mitts shake the hot jars to mix the wetter kernels with the drier ones.
Cool to room temp in a relatively sterile environment, and inoculate
2.5 cc of spore solution is recommended for each QT jar.
Incubate per strain specifications.
Best of luck.
This is millet, cracked corn, and whole corn.

27628-DSCF0011.jpg

Here are quart jars after 8 days colonization.
CC with a dash of coarse vermiculite.

25184-Jarz.jpg

Quart jars of millet after 8 days colonization.

17444-DSCF0016.jpg

The results are obvious, the CC colonizes over 3 times as fast as the millet!

Cracked Corn Preparation Technique:
Cracked Corn FAQ:

Q: Where can one buy cracked corn?
A: It can be found at Pet stores as chicken feed, and also at feed stores.
Q: Which is better? Cracked corn or popcorn?
A: Cracked corn is cheaper, however I have never tried popcorn. The results are comparable.
Q: When the TEK mentions watching for a "slime" coating, does it refer to water that gets starchy and murky during simmering?
A: It refers to the corn getting a somewhat slimy coating on the outside. Its not super critical but.. its does help. The more rinsing you can do the better.
Q: Can't I just chop my popcorn/corn up and make it like CC? Would it work the same do you think?
A: Yes, you can use a food processor or blender. The mycelium can colonize the substrate more readily when it is cracked/chopped.
Q: My friend tried this with CC 5 times now, using different draining techniques. Rinsing or draining overnight and still nothing.. It turns into mushie corn pieces It keeps coming back with nothing, corn turns dark and nothing. Hes using a polyfill filter disks too. What Keeps happening???
A: Over cooked. Excess starch is bad. Reduce your cooking time and results should improve.

Posted by: Psychoslut
2005-12-15 19:52:16
Cracked corn IS all what it is cracked up to be. It is cheap, and easy to prepare. My way of preparing it is to measure (dry) the amount I need to fill the jars half full. Then bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Dump in all the cracked corn. Boil for 5 mins like this. You will notice the water has turned milk white, and the corn feels sticky to the touch. This is when you drain the corn. Rinse it well with cold water, getting as much of the starch off as you can. Then put it back in the pot, cover it with water, bring the water back up to boiling and turn the heat off. Let the corn sit in the hot water for 20 mins. Drain and rinse one more time (cold water). Let it drain 45 mins. I like to add dry verm to the corn and add more untill i can no longer feel any moisture. Then load the corn into jars and cook 15 psi 90 mins. I really like this stuff.

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:21 PM

I like my corn as cracked as I am. Nice to see someone else using it and writing it up, I would've by now if I'd had the technology.

Some tips I'd add:

Cooking CC in big pots has usually left me with a pile of burnt-on gunk stuck to the bottom, no matter how much I stir and try to avoid it. I solved that by using a pot that comes with one of those fryer basket inserts. I use small squeeze clamps to clip a big piece of fiberglass window screen in the basket. I cook the corn in the screened basket and it never touches the bottom of the pot, plus I can lift the whole mass out and put the basket in the sink to commence rinsing right on through the screen. Quick and easy, then I toss the screen in the washing machine. Careful if using a real large stockpot, the corn on the bottom will likely remain slimy if you aren't able to get down there and stir it while rinsing.

The part about adding some vermiculite to fine-tune moisture content is important. I've always had to add it to get the moisture content feeling right. One thing I've started doing after draining WBS or CC (and if it still feels too wet) is to toss in some dry hydragel. It expands, sucking up the extra water but keeps the water handy for later.

CC really is fast. I inoculated some quarts with a chunk of PF cake I'd blended in a mason jar with some water, making a slurry culture moreso than a liquid culture. The quarts colonized fully by the 56th hour (evening of the second day after inoculating).

For anyone who doesn't know, some Oster blender blade assemblies fit perfectly on narrow-mouth mason jars, allowing you to put some water in the jar, put on the gasket and blade, secure with band, PC, and voila you have a sterile blender (Stamets sells a nice setup for $1000, mine cost $6.99). I PC a spoon wrapped in tinfoil, use it to scoop a chunk off a freshly-birthed jar, drop in blender, hit it with several short bursts, and pour into whatever I'm inoculating (bags or quarts). One heaping tablespoon of PF cake blended in 200 ml of water got me 12 quarts of cracked corn spawn in under three days.

I just ordered a few of these, no sense buying more than one entire blender. It's $6.99 at goodmans.net.

Posted Image
Oster Blender Blade Cutter. Blender cutter blade and rubber O-ring seal. Fits most Oster blenders, Osterizers and ALL Oster Kitchen Centers. Replaces 937-45, 4898, 24877, 209841.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!