• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#21 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:05 AM

Crazy1 you are doing my dream. I've wanted to do full organic farming. In the later years I want to buy my parents' farm. Have cows, chickens, greenhouses and small fields. They are sitting on about 30 acres.

As far as the flower, a Calendula flower is pretty, and i use it as an anti-inflammatory and antifungal, but keep away from the mushies.

In time we may try to expand into flowers. What do you mean about the mushies?
Edible and medicinal shrooms are a very lucrative business.
This will be an all legal venture, not lets grow "illegal" forms of fungi or plants.
At least none that anyone will know about. :roll:

#22 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Bass, you never know this could end up being a nation wide co-op.

#23 fungi2bwith

fungi2bwith

cat-monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

i have been doing a lot of research here lately on self sustaining communities. I think its one of the best ways to rebel against our modern society. I am not too far from the great lakes region and am liking this idea very much. Have you considered going as far as getting "off the grid". I personally, have this same idea. my cousin and I have gotten 9 acres of land with a huge mill on it and a house. the house is unlivable due to a fire but the mill has been remodeled into a house.....a big house. we have a river (fresh water) that runs by the property and a small pond (food). not to mention a natural gas well (energy). I think if the shit ever hits the fan thats were i will be. I have been contemplating something like a commune. But I fear that outsiders would view us as a cult or something. they just dont understand. I think we would have to have a sudden shift in society or a breakdown to get people to understand where we are going with this.

#24 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

Now that sounds like a great set up for you. I've considered off the grid, but as of now to get it going isn't an option. We have a spring fed creek on the property, and it's almost like a wildlife sanctuary back here. I'm 1/2 mile off the back road and not visible in the woods. So we would never go hungry even if it hits the fan as you put.

I also understand what you're saying about the cult thing too. But I'm not too worried on that aspect. In this area there is a lot of migrant workers. Some end up staying on the farms they work for for a couple years sometimes.
Now I'm not saying they don't understand the "community" type of living. We also have a large Amish population in the area, so they see it, but most times not in the best way.

Either way I say fuck it! I'm gonna try to get a community going that can sustain itself and profit from the combined knowledge and drive to work with our Mother Earth and live with Her not OFF Her!

Peace

#25 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Things I suggest look into if you havent already,

getting a sustainable source of water as in a well, or lots and lots of rain buckets.

Possibly solar panels for your computers so you can get on mycotopia!

Enough shelter for everyone, possibly unexpected guests which would mean more room, teepees would be sweet.

Medicine and lots of first aid stuff.

some type of communication for an emergency

chickens for eggs?

back up food supplies, cans, water bottles.

Fans would be a nice thing to have for a warm night, if there is such a thing where you are :)

just to name a few, and play Oregon Trail! youd be suprised what you could learn! Morale, go get some banjos and playing cards!

#26 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Right on Bass,

We have a spring fed creek in the back yard so we're good there.

Smart phone, grin, thats all I run off of. So DC rechargeable minimum draw. Also for communication.

I keep quite the First Aide items here. Have one for when on foot and a good one at the house. Gotta be prepared for anything in my area.

We do get warm nights, but if the house is opened up it isn't too bad even when powers out.

Always have canned goods too. Just rotate out and eat whats getting close to date (a year ahead) and replenish. Also have a good sized garden. Roughly 35'x60' so we got veggies in season and to can/freeze.

Oh yeah got 2 harmonicas too

Thanks so much for all the things you all think of, I really appreciate it.
Helps in planning what we may need, or need more of.

Peace

#27 Bassmeditation

Bassmeditation

Art is my everything.

• Expired Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

Right on Bass,

We have a spring fed creek in the back yard so we're good there.

Smart phone, grin, thats all I run off of. So DC rechargeable minimum draw. Also for communication.

I keep quite the First Aide items here. Have one for when on foot and a good one at the house. Gotta be prepared for anything in my area.

We do get warm nights, but if the house is opened up it isn't too bad even when powers out.

Always have canned goods too. Just rotate out and eat whats getting close to date (a year ahead) and replenish. Also have a good sized garden. Roughly 35'x60' so we got veggies in season and to can/freeze.

Oh yeah got 2 harmonicas too

Thanks so much for all the things you all think of, I really appreciate it.
Helps in planning what we may need, or need more of.

Peace

No problamo, this will help me more when I get my west texas area set up, Id like to be self sustained, but talk about lack of resources!

Also generators are badass, expensive to buy and expensive to run, but very very handy. Ice is something I as well as many others take for granted, its not a need, but you definetly notice if its gone. You could also see what everyone in the community has to offer, maybe the artists could sell some art there and donate enough to keep the place running, or bartering would be even better.

#28 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Sweet I'm glad this may help you or someone else get something going and know what ity takes. I do have a genny but as you said running it is costly. Mine will run my house on about 14 gals of gas.....hmmm that was in the winter though, so it could be cheaper in the summer as we wouldn't need a few of the things running. Like the blower for the wood boiler or the boiler itself..........nother thing to put on the list of pros/cons.

Yeah ice is good <this typed while looking at the ice inn the bloody mary I'm drinkin> and not necessary unless you plan to keep fresh meats or extra veggies stored and not canned or dried. Maybe an ice house in the hill facing north wouldn't be a bad thought huh.

I believe that each person in the community will have different talents to offer. And each will have the time and freedom to persue their talents. There will just be times we need to take care of business and each do their job. Then the day is theirs. I think if this is possible than there will be great strides made in each of us being happy and satisfied. And enjoying our lives. As well as contributing to the well being and development of our community.

Peace

#29 the dreamer

the dreamer

hoping for a new way

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

lol, i was talking about keeping the calendulas away from your mushies. I have a good area in the barn to grow mushies in. Just have to give it one hell of a cleaning. In a couple of months, when all my debts and tie downs are paid I might come up and give a damn good topian helping hand.

#30 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Oh gottcha man

Ya never know how things will go and who I'll get to meet.

Peace

#31 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

I bet this all comes together quite nicely.

#32 BecomeTheOther

BecomeTheOther

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

Are kids allowed?:dance::hugs::kiss:

#33 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,229 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

I always wonder why there isnt more of this type of thing going on (YET)? Seems like the most logical step for humans is to form villages for protection and pooling resources, but in all of human history, at least according to the documentary HOME, it has only begun less than 1000 years ago. And then it was quickly manipulated to enrich mostly only the few at the top of the power ladder. Its high time for a do- over. I feel like that applies to so much of our culture thats gone sortof the way of the swindler. It'd be something to see this idea take off in big numbers all over the world. I, for one, am in for a strategic private small scale do- over.

#34 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

BTO there will be kids involved, working/learning, but the thing with kids is living space.
Right now the way I'd like it set up is each person will have a small "cabin" (I guess thats the best way to explain) which would be aprox 10x16 for a 1 person and 14x16 for a couple.
Now this will have a 1/2 bath, just sink and toilet, a closet, and a room aprox 10x13 for the single and 14x13 for the couple..
The extra shower and the kitchen in the main house will be used for everyone.
Each "cabin will be within feet of the main house.

Riseabove, I believe there is a lot more of this going on in the more rural areas, like where I live.
I also think it will become more prevelent as people who buy the goods produced see that there is another way to live, comfortably at that, and ENJOY life and all there is in it.

And I really dig the "do-over" idea/phrase, great one my friend. What a way to put it.

Peace

#35 the dreamer

the dreamer

hoping for a new way

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

could someone rent a single and work for you?

#36 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:42 AM

Well the way we have it figured is the people who are here as part of the community, will be payed xxx$ and room and board. At least that's the way we're thinking of this going.

Peace

#37 the dreamer

the dreamer

hoping for a new way

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

cool, I may hit you up later. I would love to help.

#38 BecomeTheOther

BecomeTheOther

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

No problem, kids are generally smaller in size then there adult counterparts, so it should be just fine!

Just joking lol, forgive me:hugs:

Sounds like a simply amazing idea and i wish you guys the best of luck!

#39 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

:thumbup: Cool dreamer we always like guests.

Thanks BTO, ya know kids ain't bad but until a place is "family friendly" :weedpoke:
haha just messin lol

Well as of today I have secured the 20 acres next to my property from the family farm for start up. wOOt!!!!!!!!!!:greenboun

This will be 10 acres buffer from conventional to organic ground and 10 acres for the veggie operation. So hopefully I can get things rolling for a fall planting of garlic to kick things off.

Thanks to all of you for the input, everything is making me think about things through others view.

Peace

#40 Peonysheart

Peonysheart

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

I think your idea is simply awesome. I know if you put your heart into it you can do anything!! You know you can depend on me to help anywhere you need me.
  • crazy1 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!