• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#41 Cactguy

Cactguy

Cactus Worshipper

• Free Member
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

I recommend checking out http://opensourceecology.org/gvcs.php.

The Open source ecology project is working towards creating open source plans for farming equipment towards making farms truly self sufficient. They are working on everything from everything from tractors, mig welders, to machines for making earth bricks.

Be warned though, a lot of the projects are still in the research phase, but what is there is all pretty interesting.

The best part is that everything can be built for a fraction of the price of commercially made equipment.

#42 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Thanks again Cactguy, I have looked at the site more than once. And you're right there are some really awesome ideas they are trying.
To be truly self suficient we will need to be off the grid, and most likely need horses and a lot more land.
You never know this could come in time.....

Thanks again for looking in.

Peace

#43 the dreamer

the dreamer

hoping for a new way

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

I was just going to ask, are you going to post pics of your progress with everything? I would love to see what all you have done and are going to do.

#44 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

Yeah there will be pics added as we go.

Maybe today I'll snap one of the land we have procured for the veggie grows.

Peace

#45 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

Don't know if this will help..
Just my experience/reflections on partnerships versus co-op.
It could apply in a commune setting I think.

Partnership: two ropes, one big load, two pulling, one rope always seems to wear out faster.

Co-op: two ropes, two pulling, two separate loads plus one smaller common load for each.

Example: Used bookstore
- three people sharing rent and space, two days a week 'on duty' each, extra day open/option.
- the space was divided three ways.
- to maintain coherence and continuity for customers we divided the store into column sets of three (a colour coded pin at the top of each column marked each persons 'column').
this way 'literature' for example could be kept close to alphabetized vertically while including each persons contribution horizontally.
- smaller sections spanned three columns with however many rows needed and smaller niche sections worked in.

other 'systems' were in place for honesty, store credit, accounting.

after being in a partnership for many years and finding my rope constantly 'wearing out', i needed to pull my own load without pulling the others.

the co-op provided independence of effort and decision (the big load and 'reward') while reducing the risk in rent and time (the smaller load).

#46 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thank you Erkee, I have thought about these things as well.
As of right now the actual operating set up hasn't been set in stone.
But hearing your experience I will most certainly keep the options open and look more closely at all of them.
Thanks again my friend.

Peace

#47 toadshroom

toadshroom

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

Any progress/update on the commune?
I would love to do something similar.
Earthbag "cabins" would be pretty cheap housing

#48 1620

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

has anyone done wwoofing? There are many eco-villages/communes set up worldwide that let people stay with them even indefinitely if you find the right place. Plus it gives you lots of spare time to excercise your creative abilities like art or hobby medicinal mushroom grows to sell at markets.

http://www.wwoofusa.org/About_WWOOFUSA

This is what I have been doing and I LOVE IT! I have met so many amazing people and have homes all over the country.

https://www.wwoof.co...profile_id=1546

#49 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:13 AM

As of now no progress.
We're going through a few other things in life right now and this got pushed to the back burner so to speak.
Thanks for the links 1620.

Peace

#50 psilytex

psilytex

Lil Grower

• Expired Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hey Crazy,
Dude this is a very awesome idea. I will PM you in the next couple of days with my info. I have alot of construction knowledge and am very good with my hands. I haven't necessarily worked on a farm, but I have worked on a ranch. I also am a gardener/ landscaper.

Puff....puff....:rasta:

#51 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

Crazy1 - I saw that you've considered draft horses...I farm with a pair of donkeys, myself. A lot less food, far more hardy and more eager to please, than most draft horses. For small-scale farming, they beat out a tiller and/or tractor, any day. I'm working now on training them up for snigging firewood logs out of the woods = low impact, low cost, very effective. Any draft animal - except for oxen, of course - are self-replicating, run on home-made fuel, the emissions from burning that fuel can be recycled into the compost pile. Donkeys are cheap, and will, with care, live 40-50 years. They can even be adopted for about $25 from the BLM wild burro adoption program, although I'd recommend that if you're green, you start with a trained domestic one, first. In the Mid-west, there should be no problem to growing the hay for 2 or 3 donkeys on 5 acres or less. If interested, I've got a link or two to a forum dedicated to all phases - logging, farm work, public conveyance - of working with draft animals, as well as the American Donkey and Mule Society. I'm also in contact with people trying to bring the Kassine to the US. It's a small, walk-behind multi-tool toolbar designed for use with donkeys (or whatever draft animal is readily available) in 'developing' countries. The group is Pramatta (sp?) in France. They've been developing these things for almost 40 years.

I'd also suggest that you get your hands on as many of the Foxfire Books series as you can get a hold of...vast knowledge in the interviews of how oldtimers did things 'back when', from the very people who did it.

2 things I'd suggest to check into: 1) Setting this up in some sort of legal entity (a corporation? IDK) so that there's continuity in case the leader(s) were to die suddenly or people want to disband for whatever reason...it'd protect everybody's many, varied investments in it. 2) Try to check out some of the old communes from the 60s and 70s, and find out what the ones that succeeded had in common...and why those that failed or disbanded did so. Many started up, most no longer exist - and that might be crucial to know why.
Just my thoughts on it...i wish you the very best in your endeavors.

#52 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

Thanks a lot Pirate, All great things to think about.

Funny you mention the foxfire books, got the whole collection lol. They are a great source of info for sure.
I have worked wit oxen before, like horses better. My buddy a few miles away raises/trains draft horses for pulling, hell holds the heavy weight world record right now, So I also will have help in training.
I do have an LLC so that base is covered, thank you though. Most never consider how to "cover their asses". But with an LLC, or corp. things are really just leased to the company and you make money off of what you bought as you use it.

I'll definetly look into the donkeys though, we have a mule pulling club here too. So just more peeps to talk to. How about minature horses? Have tons of breeders out this way as well.
So much to think about, and consider.
Thanks again.

After this fuckin IRS/USDA audit is done on the main family farm, I may get to getting things going.
I'm just not trying to start something while we're being audited. They'll think I'm trying to hide money, so says the CPA/Lawyer.

Peace

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!