My imaginary dog found a bit of low grade outdoor buds hanging on a tree nearby :eusa_liar so I decided to redo the extract in this thread with some more measuring using this material.
1. I took 50g of freshly unfrozen bud (it had a bit of water in it) and ground it in a coffee grinder until it consisted of particles 1-3mm in size (in my opinion it shouldn't be made smaller). This was put in 2 jars and hexane was poured in those jars until it covered completely all the leafs and a centimeter more.
2. Both jars were stirred manually for 30 minutes the first and 45 the second and then were filtered using a coffee filter.
3. The resultant mixture was evaporated in a water bath (to be honest I once again distilled the hexane but this is irrelevant to the result IMO) until I was left with around 50-60ml (actually until I started seeing 2mm thick hash oil lines outlining where the solvent, the air and the glass meet).
4. This was then transferred to a big petri dish and further evaporated in normal temperature. I should note here something I consider relevant to quality - the petri was not left horizontal, but rather at an angle so that most waxes and similar stuff could precipitate outside/above the solution. Also the petri was covered with a paper towel to lower the amount of dust falling on the product.
5. When the resultant liquid has gotten quite thick and has stopped leaving impurities it was transferred to a small petri dish.
6. This new small dish was further evaporated in a water bath.
7. It was left again at an angle to solidify. A nice clear drop of wax or something else IDK appeared in the part of the petri that was highest and cannot be seen on the pics.
Here's a few pics (the first is the weight of the product - 3g, a few hours after the water bath, the second is done with the camera flash and the last two are done without it):
EDIT: I'd love to hear your comments on purity based on my pics.
Edited by lambep, 07 July 2011 - 07:26 PM.