• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

I don't know if this is the right place for this....I appologize if it isn't.

I made these for dinner today. They were actually quite good, figured I'd share the recipe.

PORTOBELLO "BURGERS"

6 large Portobello mushrooms (each 4 to 6 inches across, 8 to 10 ounces each)
3 large cloves garlic, cut into matchstick slivers
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons A.1. steak sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
12 fresh basil leaves, thinly slivered, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
6 thin slices Cheddar or Jack cheese (about 6 ounces total)
6 hamburger buns, lightly brushed with a little olive oil or melted butter
1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced (optional)
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced (optional)
Boston lettuce leaves (optional)
Mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, and/or relish

Using a paring knife, trim the stems off the Portobellos. Wipe the caps clean with a damp paper towel. Using a sharp object, such as the tip of a metal skewer, make a series of holes in the gill side of the mushrooms, about 1 inch apart. Insert the garlic slivers into these holes, dividing them evenly among the 6 mushrooms.

Combine the mustard, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk until the salt dissolves. Whisk in the olive oil and basil. Pour one-third of the mixture in the bottom of a baking dish and place the mushrooms in it, gill side up. Swish the mushrooms around to coat the bottoms with marinade. Spoon the remaining marinade over the mushrooms. Let them marinate for 1 to 2 hours.

Set up the grill for direct grilling using a two-zone fire. Preheat one zone to high, and the other zone to medium so you can move the mushrooms over if they start to burn.

When ready to cook, drain the mushrooms over a small bowl to reserve the remaining marinade. Place the Portobellos on the hot grate, gill side down, and grill for about 3 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and spoon 1 tablespoon of the reserved marinade into each cap. Continue grilling until the Portobellos are browned and very tender, about 4 minutes more. The mushrooms are done when they can be easily pierced with a skewer. If they start to brown too much before they become tender, move them over the medium zone of the grill. After the mushrooms have grilled for 2 minutes on the second side, place a slice of cheese on each and cover the grill to melt the cheese. Lightly toast the hamburger buns on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes.

To serve, place each grilled Portobello on a hamburger bun. Garnish with tomato and onion slices, and/or lettuce, if using, and the condiment of your choice.

#2 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

Sweet! I've got 3 nice ones in the fridge but I didn't know how I wanted perpare them, now I do . . .

#3 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

yum

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,116 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

I've done that same receipe and it rocks!

#5 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

I pretty much hate ports....I have tried them with many different recipies and still didn't like them. I tried this one today and it was actually good for once.

#6 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

If a port is done right it tastes like the best filet mignon or escargo around.

#7 chem42

chem42

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

That sounds amazing, I'll have to try that some time.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:11 AM

i'm hungry.

#9 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

i'm hungry.

Yow, so was this an old thread or what?

Well after seeing $2.50 per mushroom at the local produce vendor I decided to take measures into my own hands and obtained a "Portobello Kit". Preinnoculated compost. It was my hope to take a chunk before I started the kit and innoc my next batch. Hummm, to buy the pasturized compost it;s almost as cheap to just buy another kit. $34.00 plus shipping

So, "The Hunt is On".

Can ports grow in a grain, rice, or whatever mix that can be made easily and quickly?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I will be delving into the vaults to see what I can see.

Thx

#10 peek-a-boo

peek-a-boo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:53 PM

those are super!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

#11 twoguysupnorth

twoguysupnorth

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

i saw somewhere on the food channel, to scrape the gills of with a spoon and it makes it better?

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Right, matured caps are loaded with spores. Thus when you cook the mushrooms, the spores coat the entire dish and make it darker in color. A quick rinse under the faucet is better IMO. Rinse the gills off well and dab dry with a towel before cooking. This really doesn't apply to using the caps as a burger. More along the lines of chopping and adding to dishes where they're mixed up and seared.

#13 yerbaadam

yerbaadam

SpectraL veNtriloQuist

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:39 PM

I like mine on a rosemary bread with pesto, carmalized onions and roasted red peppers. I used to work at a vegan restaurant that made a roasted garlic aioli to smear on them buns.

Ahhhh, Ports, the mushroom that made me wake up to the delightfull alternatives to animal flesh out there.

>Yer friend,
NascAR denDriTE duDley

#14 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

So, "The Hunt is On".
Can ports grow in a grain, rice, or whatever mix that can be made easily and quickly?

Alas I am now less than optimistic

The methods for growing Agaricus are vastly different from growing most other sorts of mushrooms. Agaricus is a secondary decomposer, which means that bacteria and other fungi have to break down raw materials before Agaricus can grow. This is the process known as composting. Other kinds of cultivated mushrooms such as oyster mushrooms, enoki and shiitake are primary decomposers of wood, and composting is not necessary.
From Agaricus bisporus, the white button pizza mushroom, portabella, portobello, portabello, portobella, crimini, Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for April 2001

#15 chokdeemax

chokdeemax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:29 PM

:eusa_clap sounds delicious

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:55 PM

http://mycotopia.net...rtobello-s.html

#17 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

MMMM that sounds excellent!

#18 carl

carl

STONE FREE

• Expired Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

try puttin them inside a hobo pie maker with some crushed up tomato & provolone cheese, heat em thru then CHOW !

#19 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

http://mycotopia.net...rtobello-s.html

Thank You Lazlo , I've been searching on and off for a few weeks now and never ran across that thread. Most informative.

Oh, hell. I forgot to inform everyone on the easy Compost mixture I use.
I use 150lbs. of horse stall litter with 10lbs. of blood meal or dried blood added for a nitrogen additive. It works fantastic.

Would you recommend this as a base mix for ports?

#20 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

That mixture works for all kinds of mushrooms. Agaricus will also grow on weathered horse manure too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!