Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

DIY Smokes + Cigarette Machines (electronic or manual?)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 drwombatt

drwombatt

gnothi seauton~

• Expired Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

Anyone here use a machine to roll your own cigarettes? a guy up at the tobacco store said a machine + tobacco can have pack of smokes for as cheap as 1.75

he said if i hand rolled them i could have them as cheap as .75. which is great and i love hand rolled cigarettes, just prefer a filter sometimes

does anyone do this?

is the tobacco really comparable to a good cigarette? (i smoke the cheapie brands anyways dunno how it could get any worse)

#2 threekgtvr4

threekgtvr4

EntheoGuru in training

• Expired Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

I personally smoke hand rolled. I use American Spirit as it is an additive free tobacco. I love it. You need about 1/3 the tobacco to get your "fix" compared to something like Marlboro or Camel (used to smoke Camel). It tastes better too.

I buy a $9.85 pouch that lasts about 5 days on average and can get 80-90 smokes out of it. With the papers I buy, it comes out to about 13 cents a smoke, or ~$1.60 a pack...

Sure you could buy the cheaper tobacco by the pound and do it cheaper, but then you get all the chemicals they put in the tobacco to make it burn faster therefore wasting more tobacco. I'd rather spend the extra money on the additive free stuff so I'm smoking a plant instead of whatever chemicals they put in the tobacco. Don't know if they sell American Spirit by the pound like the cheaper stuff.

If you prefer a filter only sometimes, you could always get a Rizla, or similar, roller that you can roll the filter into the cigarette when you prefer it.

Hell, I'm rolling one right now, lol.

#3 Krimson Shadow

Krimson Shadow

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

I use a TOP cigarette stuffing machine, it has become my best friend. it's like 2.50 for 200 cig tubes and $7 for a 6 oz bag of bacco. that brings my per cig price to $.0475 and $.95 per pack, and they are acctually decent cigs. they're not camel turkish royal :love: but for less than a buck a pack i'll take it!

#4 Krimson Shadow

Krimson Shadow

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

Oh and it only takes me 5 min to make a pack, if i buy a pack, its pall mall. My home made cigs are so much better than those. I like the manual personally, but only because i don't want to dish out $100 for the machine. my manual machine was only 30 bucks at Cox's

#5 killer1787

killer1787

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:30 AM

I roll my own, get your tubes, find a tobacco u like. i get one called red cap. its 6 ounces for 12 dollars, they say it's a pipe tobacco but it's actually cigarette tobacco.

they say that so they don't get taxed. for about 50 dollars a month, 2 6 ounce bags and 3 boxes of tubes me and my girlfriend have FILTERED cigarettes for a whole month. once i got used to smoking them i don't buy packs anymore, i don't like them.
you should try it man, it will save u tons of cash

#6 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

Three or four years ago,
back in the days when I smoked cigs,
I used a manual machine.
One where you put your tobacco in the slot and slide a tube on the end,
and crank the handle clockwise for 3/4 of a turn.
As long as you didn't over pack the loading slot,
it worked like a charm.
I could "produce" two packs in under fifteen minutes!

Never used an electronic roller, though, so I can't compare.
I'd never be able to hand-roll 'em fast enough for my wife and I not to run out!
lol
Just my $0.02.

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

I also roll my own. I use the roller for the papers that come with my tabacco. I smoke Zig Zag red and to me it is the best flavored out there..........but thats just me.

And as said above you'll use less than smoking packs, I'll smoke a filtered cig (filter removed of course) in no time compared to how long my rolled ones last.

Peace

#8 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

I used a TOP manual machine until I quit a few months ago.

I used Kentucky Select ultra light tobacco at $15 a pound, which would roll 3 cartons. 1839 tubes at $1.88. Roughly $.70 a pack.

Cigs weren't too bad, and a carton cost about the same as a pack of pre-rolled.

#9 drwombatt

drwombatt

gnothi seauton~

• Expired Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

i finally got around to getting some tobacco and let me say im not nealy as impressed with the machine as ithought i would be. the tobacco is of fine quality (even tho i did probally pay too much [$12.63] for approx 1.5oz ) im having a hard time getting this manual machine (the sliding type yo load the empy tube inline with) to get a good pack on the cigarette. packing it with a stick only gets the lighting end so packed it wont light and the filter end is still loose as an sob (i could do a better job by hand) which is how i may end up finishing this pack off.

anyone got any tips for these stubbon rollers?
Posted Image

any help would be appreciated.

#10 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

Put more tobacco in it, and if that fails grab it by the filter. Filter facing down, and throw it like a dart at the table. Straight down. Should pack it in for you after a few nice taps.

I am not a fan of the cheap little machines

#11 Chimera

Chimera

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

I hand roll smokes, and honestly once you get the art down, you can hand roll uniform seamless smokes with a filter in a matter of moments. The machines can go alright, though once you can roll well by hand, they are alot better, as you adjust the tobacco for a more even distribution and even smoke.

Try and find some "port royal" ... top tobacco that stuff, they soak it in port so it smells like a rich dark chocolate in the pouch.

I hate smoking!

#12 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

I been making my own for longer than allot of you here have been alive.

Try filling it then closing it & place your finger over the "nozzle" and slide it to pack the tobacco (keeping your finger over the exit)

then open it and pack tiny pinches in the end to fill the now made space.
Make cig as normal.

Its an art to filling tubes, too much or too little and it wont smoke well.
Do it right and you have a cig that will burn for 10 minutes or more.

Most of the newer tiny machines are flimsy and will break if you overpack them
I think zig zag still make a sturdy one but save your pennies and get the premier supermatic tabletop model
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001115JIK
Dont be afraid of a (cheap) used one as all parts in it are reasonably replaced at this website;
http://www.arbroinc.com/

And you didnt pay too much for your pouch, 3(?) years ago a new federal tax skyrocketed the price and in most us states also charged sales tax on the tax you pay too.

American spirit is my brand but in tough times I have been know to buy "unflavored shwag cut PIPE tobacco" (there are dozens of brands some good some not so) that really does not taste or smoke well in a pipe but makes an ok cigarette (because its tax class k instead of j I could get a pound for about the price of the tax of a pound of
"cigarette" tobacco).

Spirit is imho the best tasting tobacco you can buy, I get a 5.29 oz (150 gm) can of a.s. for $35.50 (before the tax it was about 18.00) that makes a little less than a carton but as I said I make em to smoke for 10 minutes or longer so your mileage may vary.
(a carton of premade spirits is abot $60

(sorry to bitch about the tax so much but it REALLY pisses me off to be (sales) taxed for the privilege of paying an already enormous tax.)

I will now burn my soapbox and hang my head in shame

Edited by Glasshopper, 04 September 2011 - 08:26 PM.
dyslexic grammar

#13 drwombatt

drwombatt

gnothi seauton~

• Expired Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

im with you 110% the tax is the whole reason im doing this

i wanted to respond to a few posts in one

1st. to the fella who can hand roll a cigarette w/ a filter in it, would you be willing to make a video of this? because i can hand roll a filter-less cigarette just fine,

2nd. thanks for the tip about "packing" the machine not the smoke, ill try that next.

3rd. that machine the "premier" with the pull-lever, is much more lke what i'd be buying if i do buy another machine, this is my friends machine and i can already tell you im less than enchanted by their results. (i think they design them under the thumb of the big boys, so you get so fed up with it that you just go buy a real pack of smokes)

#14 pizark2

pizark2

hallucinaginusinghooligan

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

I don't smoke,but my buddy has a silver box machine about the size of a flask.He puts paper in,filter in,tobacco in licks the glue and slams it shut.Out pops a perfect cigarette!

#15 Blunted

Blunted

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:50 PM

Couple choices;

You get the actual joint roller that "rolls" the joint, 3 bucks. Then all you need is papers and tobacco.

Or you go with the tubes and tobacco smasher, tubes cost more than papers. Atleast where I have bought them.

You can always throw a filter in it, even if you roll your own.

#16 STLawesome

STLawesome

Residing in a dark hollow

• Expired Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

(sorry to bitch about the tax so much but it REALLY pisses me off to be (sales) taxed for the privilege of paying an already enormous tax.)

I will now burn my soapbox and hang my head in shame

lol, I hear you if no one else does.

One day I went to the smokeshop I frequent and picked up a pouch of American Spirits. When I was told it was $10 I told him I didn't want it cause he was overcharging and I could go down the street for half that price. He then pulled out a pamphlet about the new tax...

:horse:

(I still bought it but i was in a bad mood cause of it)

#17 1620

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:52 AM

In NZ the tax is so high that a 50g of Port Royal with papers and filters will set you back $45!!!

#18 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

In NZ the tax is so high that a 50g of Port Royal with papers and filters will set you back $45!!!

How much are tobacco seeds? :weedpoke:

#19 1620

• Expired Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

How much are tobacco seeds? :weedpoke:

Very cheap, about $20 for 2000 seeds. I'm not a heavy smoker, though.
And I enjoy them more than I need them. Normally smoke about 3-5 a day.
But some days I wont smoke at all.

#20 quetea

quetea

Tea Baggin' Capone

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

I used to buy the stuff in the really big bags, often its labeled as cigar tobacco to avoid taxes, but it tastes like a normal cigarette. I cant remember what brand it was but it was additive free and was only ten bucks.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!