• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 cluster1

cluster1

Illusion

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:43 PM

I just wanted to get some opinions on whether to dunk and roll brf cakes or not. I did not my first few grows which were not greatly successful. I see from the posts some people do and some people don't. What is the benefit? Also do I dunk and roll for the first flush and between every other?

#2 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

dunking will insure that your cake has the most hydration/moisture it can possibly hold in it's weight.. never hurts, unless your dunking water is possibly contaminated.. be careful.. neither are necessary but definitely help..

SWIM would probably just dunk, but a roll isn't a bad idea

dunk between each flush

#3 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Good post tryptaminer, and to answer your last Q cluster1, yes, you can dunk and roll right after you birth and before the first flush if you want to. More water = bigger flushes IMO.

:pirate: TR

#4 cluster1

cluster1

Illusion

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

thanks for the help!!

#5 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:17 AM

Good post tryptaminer, and to answer your last Q cluster1, yes, you can dunk and roll right after you birth and before the first flush if you want to. More water = bigger flushes IMO.

thanks TR ..

SWIM made the mistake of not dunking immediately after birthing for quite a while.. maybe mistake isn't the right word, but results were completely potentiated when dunked right after..

good luck cluster

#6 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Hello,

I have three colonized monotubs getting ready to fruit right now - the full grow log is in Photo Gallery.

The RH inside the tubs seems too low - at about the time when the hyphal knots first started showing up there was almost no condensation on the inside of the tubs, so I've been misting the sides frequently.

The substrate seems dry and the hyphal knots have been around for 4 days now without any noticable growth or change - they're not turning into pins.

From what I've read in the archives it seems like my tubs got dried out from being fanned too much and they need a good dunk. My question: is it ok to dunk substrates with a plethora of hyphal knots already showing up?

Thanks.

#7 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Think I just found an answer, naturally from the truly immortal Hippie3, god rest his crazy soul:

small primordia and pins CAN take a dunk
but big pins cannot, often.
i'd go ahead, personally.
at worst might set it back a couple days
but if you need water for the flush coming on
it's still worthwhile, imo.
just do a shorter dunk to be safe,
10-12 hours instead of 24.

But here's another question: I've heard of "injecting water" into cakes as an alternative to dunking. Anyone have experience doing this with bulk/rez-effect substrates?

I ask because one of the tubs, which isn't obviously too dry like the first one, but which still isn't able to maintain its own RH, has a few pins that are a few days old, and I don't want to abort them by dunking it.

Therefore if I could inject some distilled sterile water into the subs, below the surface, maybe that would help... or i suppose i could just let it be and dunk after the first flush.

thoughts?

#8 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

haha, i was gonna say go for it, the hyphal knots can handle it. glad to know hippie3 would agree with me :bow::bow::bow:

injecting water is fine for the other one, the only problem is it's hard to gauge how much to inject. with a dunk the substrate will soak up whatever it needs (which is probably several hundred milliliters if not more), but how much to inject by syringe ? .... maybe try 50mL every couple inches? i've done this before, but honestly i can't remember what amount i used, just kinda injected all over the place til i felt it was "enough." :special: hah, sorry. anyway i dont think it would hurt to try it, and if it doesnt end up being enough to support a good flush, then just dunk for flush #2! :)

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:32 PM

Myself I do a technique I call "bottom dunking" , like this:

http://mycotopia.net...html#post816426

Have you ever tried bottom dunking cakes or blocks while they are pinning/fruiting ? I've had really good results. First learned it from Hip when he told me I could dunk with pins as long as I was careful and the water clean.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its simply amazing how much water they can drink , extra from what is in the cake or block already.

It would be easy to rig up a container for bottom-soaking that cinder block.

Cheers Buddy

This bottom dunking rehydrates the substrate mass without over wetting the pins/knots. I do this at all stages , but I try and be as clean as possible. Every time you mess with a cake or sub you are inviting contams , so it's a balance.

Just keep your cakes on plastic tub lids for mobility , carefully lift the lid (not the cake/puck) into the bowl and add cool water until an eighth of an inch of sub is immersed.

It will depend on how dry the sub is as to how long you let it sit in the bottom dunk bowl. An hour or under is usually fine. I do mine fairly often and just for short moisture top ups , say just as pins are showing and again when the stems are elongating and the mushrooms are half-grown. They can really drink at those times !

After the bottom soak , return the cakes via the lid back to their fruiting spot. This can all be done within a fruiting chamber for ease & cleanliness.

For monotubs and bulk you could hybridize the bottom dunking with her bulk-dunk system:

http://mycotopia.net...html#post913092

#10 spaceandtime06

spaceandtime06

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:05 AM

The first flush from my cakes was a great success and it now seems to be a coming to an end as there are only a few mushrooms left on the cakes. I have heard that it is possible to redunk the cakes for a second and even third flush and I have a couple question about that:
1. Should I redunk? If so, how many times can I do so before they are completely exhausted?
2. How should I go about redunking? Should I dunk them in water or put them in a moist ziplock bag in the refrigerator? (I have heard of a couple of different methods).
3. After dunking, is it necessary to roll them again in vermiculite? Is contamination still a factor?
4. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time doing this tek.

Thank you very much! :rasta:

#11 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:15 AM

The first flush from my cakes was a great success and it now seems to be a coming to an end as there are only a few mushrooms left on the cakes. I have heard that it is possible to redunk the cakes for a second and even third flush and I have a couple question about that:

1. Should I redunk? If so, how many times can I do so before they are completely exhausted?

Yes, and as many as there is neutrients and moisture in the cake to support the flushes and growth.

2. How should I go about redunking? Should I dunk them in water or put them in a moist ziplock bag in the refrigerator? (I have heard of a couple of different methods).

There is a really easy method to dunk, put you cakes back in the jars fill the jars up with water, cap let them set overnight in the fridge and then refruit.

3. After dunking, is it necessary to roll them again in vermiculite? Is contamination still a factor?

you will want to try to patch any areas that you have taken mushies from and no it shouldn't be.

4. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated as this is the first time doing this tek.

Thank you very much! :rasta:

• Soulocybin likes this

#12 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:23 AM

1. Totally, still fruits in that cake.

2. Dunk in any clean container, iso alc or a 10% bleach will work to sterilize your dunking container.

3. You can if you feel like it and have the verm, but you def dont have too.

4. Advise: Clean your container well before dunking. Tap water should be fine, its what I use typically, but that depends on what your water's pH and chemical content is. If your in a huge city where there is lots of additives to your water use distilled water from the store.

#13 gonefishen

gonefishen

cactus protector

• Free Member
  • 476 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:31 AM

did you dunk before the first flush? just curious

#14 spaceandtime06

spaceandtime06

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

Yes, I actually did an experiment where I dunked half of my cakes and left the other half alone... As an observer, I would say that the ones that were dunked created a fatter mushroom, although there wasn't much of a difference in quantity. Quality wins every time though! :eusa_danc

#15 WackTastic

WackTastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

Does it make any difference and what is the best way of going about dunking? I've heard of a sterilized fridge drawer or ziploc bags and other things just wondering what people's experiences have taught them is a good and effective way to dunk their cakes.

:greenboun

#16 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

I use tap water, but I'm on a well. But I know many use city water without a problem.
Well to really dunk a cake or small sub a ziploc or a jar,for cakes, works great. The cake is completely submerged and refrigerated fir 8-12 hrs.

Peace

#17 Roger Cook

Roger Cook

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Some people here were saying that they get lots of contamination when dunking. What's the best procedure to avoid this and is it a big risk once the cake is fully colonized? I was planning on sticking the cakes into bigger jars with a pvc spacer to keep them submerged. I think I'd wash the jars with soap and water and rinse well. The tap water is pretty good around here, ph around 7, is that ok? I can get distilled if necessary.

#18 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,077 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Some people here were saying that they get lots of contamination when dunking. What's the best procedure to avoid this and is it a big risk once the cake is fully colonized? I was planning on sticking the cakes into bigger jars with a pvc spacer to keep them submerged. I think I'd wash the jars with soap and water and rinse well. The tap water is pretty good around here, ph around 7, is that ok? I can get distilled if necessary.

First thing, I'm really old school but I'll put in my 2 cents.
If this is your first grow and this is your first flush then I wouldn't risk dunking. if the moisture was right from the git go and your fruiting chamber is down right you will be rewarded. Save the dunk for the second flush.
A little misting goes a long ways.

#19 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I had an almost colonized pint cake (PF) and I took it out early because it was growing slow in the last stretch. I scraped off most of the uncolonized cake, with some left that I couldn't get out. Then I dunked for 6-12 hours in tap water in a bucket cleaned with dish soap. Then I put it into a modified Chronic Tek style fruiting chamber (used a small bucket inverted, with perlite and peroxide in the bucket's lid, and a small tupperware as a riser for the cake. I've been lifting the bucket every few hours for fresh air exchange. The gap that was uncolonized is closing in, and I'm getting knotting everywhere about to be pins. No contamination.

I should mention that my house is fairly dirty, and I have mold spores everywhere because I grow plants in practically every room of the house. I used Lysol every time anything was exposed to the ambient air, but other than that very dirty. No pressure cooker, no glovebox or anything. So maybe I'm just lucky or something, but I believe dunking carries little to no risk as long as you use Lysol and/or peroxide.

#20 Unknowner

Unknowner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Golden Rule: Lysol the SHIT out of everything. Wipe all working surfaces with 90% alcohol.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!