• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jakepet

jakepet

Briefcase

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Ok so this is my first time growing squash. Im growing butternut squash to be exact and my plants are quite long about 9-12 ft. I notice alot of flowers on these plants yet no vegetables appear where there are flowers. I have two baby butternut squash fruits towards the tip of my plants with a flower on forming on the end of the premature squash. Any advice to get more squash from said plants would be awesome. I thought the purpose of the flowers was to have a point of pollination to start a squash. BTW some other things im growing in my garden are 10 super sweet tomato plants, sweet peppers, yellow zuchinni, watermelon plant. oregano basil and cinnamon basil. Also there are lots of bees around so im sure these flowers are being pollinated.

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

I'm not sure if squash plants are self-pollinating, but since you have more than one, you can get pollen from one plant on a q-tip or something and gently wipe it on the stamen of the flowers on the other plants...

btw squash blossoms are pretty tasty if you get fed up with them... :D

#3 the dreamer

the dreamer

hoping for a new way

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

how many squash plants do you have going? I normally have four growing right next to eachother, this way they can pollinate eachother. I have noticed if the fruits are sitting in the direct sun they will shrivel and die before they are done. I let some weeds grow near the plants and the put the fruits in the middle of the weeds so they dont get scorched by the sun. But its also been 100+ here everyday. Hope eveything works out well for you. Peace.

#4 jakepet

jakepet

Briefcase

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

i have been trying the pollination deal but with my finger because by the time i get home from working 12 hour day the flowers are closed but most of the time i tear them open alittle and there is still a bee or two inside buzzing. it was just confusing to me to see a baby squash on my plants with out the flower beeing developed or blossomed. might have to pollinate the flower on the premature squash from the longer flowers towards the base of the plant inorder for the squash to mature.

#5 jakepet

jakepet

Briefcase

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

they get about 6 hours of sunlight and i did let the weeds grow tall around the plants as they are growing in a place between my garden and my fence also i have three plants and a watermelon. you never know what your going to get from a amish green house....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!