• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

i just found my favorite golden comet hen on the coop floor.she is 18 weeks old. she cant walk but is alert and seems to not be able to use her legs. she just kicks them and seems to have no control over her toes.

if there are any chicken lovers out there, does my hen have mareks or something else? should i just put her down?

blessings and luv

#2 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

how long has she been like this?

#3 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

she was fine yesterday. found her this morning. her eyes are not cloudy and she has full control of her legs but she can't stand

possibly mycotoxin? its been really damp here the past week

#4 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

is she the only one who is having this problem? i would separate er from the flock in case it is a contagious disease. i assume she has no visible marks on her feet like a predator could have gotten a hold of her?

#5 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

yeah the rest are fine. i have her separated, i was reading into mycotoxins and they were talking about field corn having fungi.

yesterday my daughter and i picked some field corn and she was feeding it to them. possibly she ate some bad corn.

she has no visible signs of injury. she is very alert.

for now im goin to elevate her a little bit so she can breath right and feed her some yogurt. she had a normal BM.

thanx for all the help maa

blessings and much luv

#6 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:36 AM

yeah i would give her some time and see if she pulls out of it. but i dont think it could have been from the corn. most your field corn is animal feed anyway. she could have gotten a hold of something else. do you have your birds cooped or are they free ranged?
since i have had all my birds free ranged and i have no problems. but i also have 2 livestock guardian dogs protecting my flock. well the one is still a pup so he more enjoys terrorizes the flock. :lol: caught him yesterday holding down my male muscovy duck!! bad! bad! dog! :spank:
  • narashima jaya likes this

#7 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

they are free range, i lock them up at night, we have alot of coyotes and raccoons around. :mistrust:

i wish something would hold my ducks down. out of 14 chickens the two ducks i have raise more hell than you could imagine!! :eusa_eh:

i have to go auction off two silkies roosters today at the amish market, i might have to get a new hen or two :loveeyes:

#8 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:25 AM

try having 8 ancona ducks and a frickin goose! talk about noisy! the goose thinks the ducks are hers so she gets all upset when her ducks get out of line! every time i walk out of my house i am greeted with all my ducks that sound like they are laughing at me!
i have a lot of coyotes that run the creek behind my house every night but my dogs keep them at bay. i have another predator living down past my stable but not sure if its another feral cat or a coon. hasnt taken any of my birds yet to my knowledge though.
if you need any more cocks i got plenty. been trying to get rid of them but nobody wants them. dont know why they are big and beautiful. and they crow nice and loud right outside the bedroom window! no need for an alarm clock!
im gonna keep my big black cock though he is the only one i got.

#9 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

lol i just got rid of most of my cocks last week. these two are the last ones i need to get rid of. i will have to cock block you :eusa_sile

my main cock finally has all the hens to himself. he is a big pushover though. i think next spring im goin to get some guinea fowl. i just love how they look and they ravage the tick population :headbang:

my ducks bitch all day at each other. when the drake gets pissed he walks into the back field and his significant other goes nuts calling for him.

#10 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

:lol: oh cmon you know you want at least 6 more cocks! just pluck em and put em in the stew pot.
used to have guinea fowl but accidentally shot the last one while shooting my tom turkey. thank goodness! i hated those noisy lil fuckers! had 15 at one time but they were eaten up by predators. worst survival rate of any bird i have raised. and my chickens keep the tick population down around the house any way so no need for them anymore.
my muscovy ducks keep the skeeters at bay and they are a quiet breed. if i was to get more birds it would be more scovies. but im done with it. down to one goat and less than 30 birds now.

#11 Landogarner

Landogarner

Nosce Teipsum

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

I'm sorry but does anyone else have a hard time keeping a straight face when they read this? Everything is cock this and cock that and keeping my big black cock ...

Maybe I'm just immature? :eusa_sile

#12 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

no cocks in the pot for me maa, im veg but i do eat and pickle the eggs. i will just send the two white silkie cocks your way :weedpoke: bwhahaha

#13 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm sorry but does anyone else have a hard time keeping a straight face when they read this? Everything is cock this and cock that and keeping my big black cock ...

bwhahahaha :rasta:

#14 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

no cocks in the pot for me maa, im veg but i do eat and pickle the eggs. i will just send the two white silkie cocks your way :weedpoke: bwhahaha

noooo! :eusa_snoo i already told you i have enough cocks of my own dont need yours!! :lol:

#15 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

would you like to see my big black cock? :eusa_sile

#16 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

thats kewl these cocks bring about 10 bucks a piece at the auction. i dont want to overload you with cocks, it'll be too many necks to jerk when they get older !!! Bwhahaha :horse:

#17 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:35 PM

all cocks aside, my hen is actually standing on her feet now but doesnt have the energy to walk. she seems to be doing way better. hopefully she pulls through

#18 Landogarner

Landogarner

Nosce Teipsum

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

would you like to see my big black cock? :eusa_sile

Nah, I'd just end up feeling inadequate :eusa_booh

#19 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

i dont jerk the necks i cut em off! :lol:

#20 Landogarner

Landogarner

Nosce Teipsum

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

thats kewl these cocks bring about 10 bucks a piece at the auction. i dont want to overload you with cocks, it'll be too many necks to jerk when they get older !!! Bwhahaha :horse:

:eusa_clap

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!