• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 thinkgreen

thinkgreen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:50 PM

when boiling my pf style jars ive had a problem with water getting past the foil and the tape into the holes in my pf style jars. i was wondering if it would be better if i poked the holes in the jars after boiling them?

#2 Guest_johnny_butt_*

Guest_johnny_butt_*

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:53 PM

You should only put enough water so it goes up about 1/3 the length of the jar, and you want to gently boil. Shouldnt have any problems that way.

#3 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:38 PM

Right, just fill the water a 1/3 up the jars and cover the pot. Boil for a little more than an hour. I usually place a wash cloth in the pot under the jars to keep the jars from cracking.

Don't wait until after the boil to make the holes, or you might bust a few jars. Just cover the top of the jar with foil for the boil.

#4 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:46 PM

Is there a cure for water logged cakes? :confused:

#5 smegma

smegma

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

Is there a cure for water logged cakes? :confused:

A really dry room?

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

forgive me my brain isnt workin today...Long nite last night.

#7 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

you may be able to break them up and use as spawn. mix them in with some coir and verm. and make a casing. you can make the mix a little on the dry side so when its all mixed, the excess water from the cake will level it out and compensate.

my friend has done it with a soggy log she had. she mixed it with some damp verm, not field capacity and broke it up. it ended up working out just fine for her.

hope this suggestion helps

#8 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:37 PM

I have had mixed results with drenched cakes. All have been cased, some recovered, some did absolutely nothing (except smell).

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:04 PM

break them up and use as spawn. mix them in with some coir and verm. and make a casing. you can make the mix a little on the dry side so when its all mixed, the excess water from the cake will level it out and compensate

sounds like a decent POA to me.

#10 Guest_Littlejohnnybiggums_*

Guest_Littlejohnnybiggums_*

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

Im not sure if i had this correctly last time.

4 cups of verm, 1.5 cup of BRF and 2 cups of water?

Correct me if im wrong please.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

4:2:2

#12 breakstuff

breakstuff

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

A friend is using a WBS tek and is using a large tray seperated into three parts to seperate three strains. The cakes were birthed, slightly crumbled and cased with a 60/40 verm/coir.

The WBS was soaked for nearly 24 hrs before canning and the jars after 12 days were densely colonized. When they came out some slid out and some did not come so easy, but overall they did not seem to be too dry or too wet.
I also used caution not to overly saturate the casing layer when squeezed you'll get some drops, but it's not wet mush either.

So my question is, after reading a post about logs and basket teks getting too dry to make flushies and the need for dunking, Where does the water come from that the flushes need to grow?

Will humidity make a big difference in how they grow? In other words, if a proper humidifier is kept in the grow room to keep 85 - 90%rh, could that alone eliminate the need for dunking, and will the cased wbs get too dry?
Does the humid air keep watering them as they grow, so by the time they are fully mature they are using more water from the air rather than sucking the grains or casing water dry?

Ill post pics later:smokin:

#13 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:26 PM

The wbs contains enough water to support a flush, also the moist casing layer will wick moisture downwards. Keeping the humidity high will prevent the casing from drying out, but doesn't replace a dunk after the first flush.

#14 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

WBS doesnt hold water very well IMO.

You might want to consider bottom "casing" layer of verm to help keep the moisture high. I believe its called the rez-effect.

After your first flush and a nice dunk, you should consider that tek

BTW, you cant replace a good dunk

#15 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

you should look through the archives

if your worried about dunking and contams you should look up some bleach teks.

I make up a gallon or so of bleach water (1.25 tbsp bleach : 1 gallon), add a bit to my dunk water and put some in a spray bottle for fruiting time.

easily keeps contams at bay

#16 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

The wbs contains enough water to support a flush, also the moist casing layer will wick moisture downwards. Keeping the humidity high will prevent the casing from drying out, but doesn't replace a dunk after the first flush.

that answers all of your questions.

beebopboy:
rez tek is best done pre 1st flush...
are you really suggesting he disects a perfectly good casing post 1st flush?
there is no point in doing this. especially if 'dunked' as you say..
..how do you 'dunk' your casings, beebopboy?

i think YOU are the one that needs to go read in the archives, friend

#17 breakstuff

breakstuff

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 03:34 PM

After reading through the archives, i can see how dunking is really simple and can bring life to an otherwise spent flatcake.

The next round we're going to attempt a pelletized straw substrate as it holds lots of water, can be dunked 2 or 3 times before moving to an outdoor bed, and requires no pasteurization some report, as the pellets are heat treated at manufacture.

1000 wet here we come.
1000 dry....:eusa_thin, hmm.

Ill post pics in the coming week keep an eye out.

#18 Crimson King

Crimson King

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

i made some BRF/VERm jars two days ago and i put them on shelf befor colinization to check for infection. i used i pint jars with i cup verm/1/2 BRF and 1/2 cup water (maby just a LITTLE less). this should be the right amout of water wright? how can i tell if they are to dry?

#19 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

That should be fine.

#20 Crimson King

Crimson King

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

i thought so, just peronoid you know. i used to use 1/2 pint's so i cant realy tell. if i squint into the jar i see a little moister on the glass, and the BRF looks good. no contamination yet, if there is still a green light manjana i guess its go time for my hawians and some teachers. oh the sweet taste of pestashios. thanks dude.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!