• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

A while back i read a tek that included coconut to standard brf mixture, im not 100% sure but i think it was your thread hippie... forgive me if im wrong...
anyways my question is how much is enough to add, i can no longer find that tek.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:36 PM

i add a tablespoon [heaping]
of shredded unsweetened coconut
to a 6 pint batch

#3 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

thank you very much. I have seen such amazing results from people using your brf jars so i think im going to give it a try.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

let us know
plz
how it grows
:bow:

#5 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Well foaf just got done pc'ing 24 jars. It looks like they may be a bit on the moist side, condensation is forming on the inside of the jars because they cooled down too fast. If they look ok tomorrow 12 are to be innoc'd with GT multispore and 12 with Redboy multispore.

If someone can post a closeup of a properly done pf style jar it would be appreciated. Unfortunately the only type of verm around this area is medium instead of fine and foaf finds it more difficult to get the correct moisture content with this type of verm

#6 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:47 PM

what did you add to the brf, verm ? just coconut?

i would try dehydrating the coconut and then add it to the dry mix then bring that whole thing to field capacity, as a whole..

hippie adds more than just coconut to his jars..ill look for the link for you.

as far as a close-up of a pf jar, it will vary by the size of the verm used,
as well as how fine you grinded yer brf.. there should be NO standing water in the jar, at any time

if there is, you got the moisture content wrong and should start over IMHO

my pc is shot, but i do have this little 20 dollar jobbie i could use hmmmmm
ill look now to see if i have any brf leftover from 2 years ago :lol:
if i do i will make up 3 jars for ya now so you can have an example for the heckuvit

hope all goes well, keep us posted mang

#7 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:57 PM

There is no standing water :eusa_clap most of the condensation was absorbed by the brf mixture already. foaf will be pc'ing more jars tomorrow possibly using the fanaticus 60 substrate or hippies brf mix if you can find that link cap ;). I cant seem to locate it. The jars are scheduled for innoc tomorrow morning. See you then

#8 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:59 PM

well i guess foaf needs to cut down on the herb a bit, hippies cake formula was bookmarked the whole time. http://mycotopia.net...ighlight=pollen

#9 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:28 AM

lol good -
ive no bagged BRF and no functionin grinder or blender ATM :(
hehe o well

from the archives..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

pp5 rated plastic jars before cooking--
Posted Image
Posted Image

after cooking--
Posted Image
Posted Image

hope it helps bud

#10 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks much. I guess the main concern was with the condensation forming on the inside of the jars during the cooling process. This condensation has since been absorbed by brf.

Ralphs brand brown rice was used and medium horticultural verm. A verm layer was applied to the top and bottom of most of the jars, some jars only the top. Every jar was also equipped with a tyvek filter for added contam barrier.

Since everything went as planned 12 jars were innoculated with golden teacher multispore and 12 with redboy multispore. The jars will be incubating at 79 degrees until 100% colonized.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

the only type of verm around this area is medium

medium's what i use

#12 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

Im sure it will work fine. The water content had to be adjusted by adding a little more verm, all of the jars came out great in the long run.

#13 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

swim was partying this weekend and came back home to check the jars only to find that the redboy test jars have failed miserably.

On 4-21 Foaf Innoc'd 18 pint test jars w/ GT and 18 with Redboy (this is a previous project, the jars involved in this thread were innoc'd on 4-28)
Foaf cant pinpoint why only one of the 18 redboy jars shows minimal growth.

The concensus was that the syringe used in this particular innoc was no longer viable or possibly contaminated.

All of the 18 Gt jars are coming along nicely. Most of the jars are 80% colonized. Pics below are terrible because they were taken with a mobile phone. No nice digi cam here.

As an added bonus 3 pint jars were innoc'd on 4-21 also with z strain. This was the done with the last 3 ccs of the syringe so hopefully foaf will end up with printable mushrooms to keep the spore library going. You can see the growth in the picture below. The Z jar is the one that is all rice w/ verm layer.

Out of the 24 jars innoculated on 4-28, growth is visible in 12 of the 24 jars. I bet you can figure out which 12.... All of the gt strain seem to be colonizing fast as lightning. The other 12 were innoc'd w/ redboy. Luckily foaf made a new syringe for this innoculation so hopefully there wont be such horrible results as the test jars.

Since there will be a large amount of colonized jars foaf has decided to fruit some as cakes, some as casings. More info coming soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo-0023.jpg
  • Photo-0021.jpg

#14 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

Looking good man!:eusa_clap

#15 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

bummer on tha redboys
'
so what exactly failed? half of the coconut jars, or,
just the coconut jars?

were the redboys all on coconut/brf? anything survive on brf/verm/c-nut?

be well :)

#16 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:58 AM

Sorry for a lack of clarification, i can see how the reader could be confused on that one..foaf has two separate projects that were done on separate days. One on 4-28 and one on 4-21

Basically on 4-21 foaf pc'd 36 jars total and 18 were innoc'd with GT multispore, 18 were innoc'd with Redboy multispore solution.

The contents of each jar batch varied slightly.

18 jars were straight brown rice w/ a verm layer on top and bottom
18 jars were brown rice (solid, not brf) mixed with verm

the jars were then split up between the two strains evenly

All of the gt jars are colonizing at an alarmingly fast rate,
unfortunately the redboy jars did not show any signs of life, and soon after smelled of bacteria, they were removed from the incubator and disposed of.

Some of the jars that were inspected this morning are ready for birth by this evening, if that gives you a better perspective on how fast they are colonizing. These jars will of course be given an extra day for shits.

Today 6 coir/straight rice pint jars were innoculated with gt multispore. Ive found in the past that coir in jars just slows things down so we will see if it colonizes at a decent rate

As far as the coconut/verm/brf jars go, all 12 GT jars are showing about 10% colonization and growing fast. I mark my jars w/ permanent marker to see exactly how fast they are conquered. I have to say im impressed so far with the speed of the brf mix but fruting will show the actual results.

#17 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

Well as of today 9 out of 12 redboy jars are showing signs of mycelial growth, im sure the other jars will show signs within the next few days. Its hard to sit back and watch redboy creep along while the golden teacher rips through the jars. Gt is showing healthy rhizo, everythings coming along slowly but surely. 10 days for a pint jar isnt too bad in my book, what do you guys think?

#18 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

Several cakes have been placed in the fruiting chamber and several have been crumbled and cased with straw.

One major setback noticed with this strain is the amount of cake overlay/ casing overlay that seems to just occur naturally with GT.

Foafs fruiting chamber consists of 5 20 quart tubs.

A simple intermatic timer was modified for use with the ultrasonic humidifier, it cycles 2 times in 90 minutes. Each cycle lasts for 5 minutes.

Another intermatic timer, the outdoor model was also modified to complete a whole cycle in 105 mins(a little bit more difficult to modify)

This timer is attatched to a sleep apnea device which pumps fresh air into the fruting chamber(s) for 5 minutes each cycle, virtually eliminating the need for manual fanning altogether.

There is an extra chamber, #6 that acts as an expansion chamber for the ultrasonic, this helps keep excess moisture out of the fruting chambers. The expansion chamber has hoses that lead to the other chambers, seems to work great.

Each chamber was drilled w/ 6 3/4 inch holes near the bottom of the chamber and fitted w/ tyvek to aid in co2 dispersion.

foaf is fruting a few cakes at the moment, updates w/ pics soon... unfortunately a digi cam is something that foaf is not blessed with.

#19 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:21 PM

Forgot to include.... another batch of brf was concocted using the leftover water from straw pasturization.

1/4 cup brf
1/2 cup verm
pinch of ground flax
pinch of ground coconut flesh
45ccs straw water

Foaf tested the ph of the straw water just to be sure it wasnt outragous. There is definately a noticeable difference in the colonization time with this recipe. Will post pics asap.

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:30 PM

There is definately a noticeable difference in the colonization time with this recipe.

:cool:
faster, i presume ?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!