23 replies to this topic

#1 thinkgreen

thinkgreen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:22 PM

Has anybody here tried the self contained mushroom bags:
they seem like a great concept, if so has anyone tried them invitro. what strains would grow well in their low gas exchange enviroment?

#2 Guest_ohmatic_*

Guest_ohmatic_*

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

www.sporeworks.com

working great.
peace ohm

#3 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

I used them for my first grow and it turned out to be a huge waste of money.

They cost like $15 to $25 for a bag, and for that much money you could make at least a dozen jars.

If its your first grow and you're wanting to take the easiest route, then go for it. It doesn't get any easier then just ordering the bags and innoculating them.

One word of advice on the bags, though. Don't put too much faith in that "self-healing" injection site. I had a few bags that got contaminated because air got in through the injection site. (and at $15-$25 each that is a bummer!) Tape the hole immediately after innoculation. The filter patch at the top of the bag is for gas exchange, so you're not hurting anything by taping the hole. Its supposed to seal on its own but it doesn't always work. Good luck and Welcome to the 'topia.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Guest_i_am_me_*

Guest_i_am_me_*

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:12 AM

Also don't forget about www.mycrotopia.com.

They sell premade jars and bags.

#5 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, you'd probably be better off with Hip's jars.

#6 Guest_taoist_*

Guest_taoist_*

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:31 AM

Mycobag sells 100 bags for $30 (42 with shipping) - it's a good deal when you think about how much they hold. However, for a first grow, I would say DO NOT go with grow bags. I like I_Am's plan of getting a half dozen from Hippie, maybe a syringe from a vendor if you don't have any - then you'll know it's going to work. Then, once you have a few mushrooms growing, you can print them and then have enough spores to innoculate as much stuff as you want. When doing a first project the best bet is to keep it really simple - KISS is a big theme around here, especially so for newbies. Since you're not totally familiar with the idea of prepping, order some jars and learn about how to do BRF jars, the same thing you ordered. Then things evolve from there to whole grains, where you can start using spawnbags if you want to.

#7 Guest_i_am_me_*

Guest_i_am_me_*

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:53 AM

Not to mention the jars you get if you by premade jars you can reuse in the future. Posted Image

I'm not a fan of bags unless you're going to use them to make a lot of grain spawn.

#8 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:24 PM

"Mycobag sells 100 bags for $30 (42 with shipping)"

He's asking about the pre-made ones,(already filled with substrate) which are $20 each in the link he put in his post.

Thats a lot of money to spend on one bag. Those things take FOREVER to colonize compared to 1/2 pint jars.

#9 Guest_cptnmaxmushroom_*

Guest_cptnmaxmushroom_*

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:11 PM

Grow bags or 'space bags' as they have been called in the orient for decades, have been around longer than any of our members!

They were normally used for oysters and other edibles but in recent years some people have tried them for cubs. Havn't heard a lot of great success stories but the concept is tried and true. Prolly better off with jars, a method specifically designed for cubs.

www.sporelab.com

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:44 PM

Jars over bags any day for fruiting cubs. Now for spawn bags are great.

#11 thinkgreen

thinkgreen

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

thanks for all the input, its much appreciated. has anyone tried them invitro, it seems like they would be great mini fruiting terrariums, with alot more space for the mushrooms to grow without getting deformed.
but considering they are very small it would be much more efficient to go with the half pint jars.
thanks again

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, that's the only way i've ever seen cubs done in bags.

#13 Guest_batteriesnotincluded_*

Guest_batteriesnotincluded_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:07 AM

just checked mycrotopia. i could have sworn i saw bags there. 10 1 qt. bags for $55. if bags seem like something you really want to do, thats the way i would go. i considered doing the bag thing because i was so nervous about messing things up if i tried to do them myself, and that is way the best price i found on bags (or jars for that matter) of pre-made substrate.

#14 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:23 PM

we do offer bags at www.mycrotopia.com
and will begin accepting new orders again
on this coming monday.

#15 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

......Damn you Hip, my gal is going to kill me, I already ordered some of your jars and I just got some bags from a different vendor...Now I have to order your bags because that's a hell of a deal. you're making me broke man, I'm going broke getting in on all of these good deals.

Question on the bags...I assume they have an air filter, but do they have an injection port?

(Message edited by nicholas on February 03, 2005)

#16 Guest_mad_*

Guest_mad_*

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

Hip, sorry to plug the competition, but mycobag's got $18+ S&H for like 50 of the large spawn bags, you provide the food and seal it, no injection port bs. being able to mix it when it's a quarter colonized is nice too.

my foaf said he got it to work well with Ryche's mix, with rye, and with millet, then he wandered off muttering something about stealing starbucks coffee grounds.

just need to get a high quality impulse sealer and a glue gun. even with those injection port ones use a glue gun to close the hole.

if you wanna fruit invitro, a good first step is picking a strain known for working well invitro.

if you decide to spend the money and have great sterile technique, these and a flow hood can turn one bag noc'ed with a great clone culture into a hundred by grain to grain.

some prefer jars, but I say try both. gotta find what works for YOU.
peace

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

YIKES!!!Posted Image

#18 Guest_boxtop703_*

Guest_boxtop703_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:47 AM

will begin accepting new orders again
on this coming monday.

That's excellent man, I hope you kick "you know who's" ass!

#19 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:36 AM

but mycobag's got $18+ S&H for like 50 of the large spawn bags, you provide the food and seal it, no injection port bs.

mine come already filled, sterilized and sealed.
filtered but no inj.port

#20 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:51 AM

I don't own an impulse sealer, but I've had excellent results with the filter patch spawn bags by twisting the end like a loaf of bread, then putting an electrical twist tie around it. You can seal them like that before pc'ing, then after the pc, the twist tie keeps the bag sealed up. When you get in front of the flowhood or in your glovebox, you can cut the twist tie off, add your spawn, and then seal it back up with another twist tie.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!