37 replies to this topic

#1 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

I am super lazy, and was complaining about popcorn prep...here is the brain child.
First run, no measuring just a feel for ratio :

100_1754.JPG

Each one started with water above the popcorn level, and it is way too much....20 cc of water were sucked out of each using sterile technique.

Then for run #2 we measured out 2 cups of popcorn
Then used varying amounts of water..... Just over 3/4 of a cup....at 3/4 a cup...less than 3/4 of a cup...and then i bumped the ratio down to 1 cup popcorn and 1/3 cup of water for the last bit.

100_1756.JPG
The closest, imo, is the 2 cups popcorn to 3/4 cups water. Any less and the height of the popcorn becomes an issue...the top most area becomes cooked before hydrated. Resulting in a browning, noticeable in the two jars to the left.
Initially it has standing water after the pc run

100_1757.JPG

After it cools and a good shake

100_1769.JPG

Infact...the next morning NONE of them have standing water on the bottom....(from run #2)

100_1770.JPG
I will noc up with some LC today, and keep thread updated.

If having moisture problems, we thought about adding 1/8 - 1/4 cup of verm ONTOP of the popcorn AFTER the measured water is added. This has not been tried yet, but a decent idea for those having issues.
Again this is just the first try, so if anyone wants to try to replicate this, that would be excellent - but newbs be warned this is not a tek

Forgot to add this... After I measured the 2 cups of popcorn, and added the 3/4 of water...I then mixed the popcorn around to coat all of the kernels..

So now I'm thinking maybe a quick soak (just a few minutes) and a tad less water...possibly this would prevent the top kernels from drying out and also avoid the excess water.

Attached Thumbnails

• trial_run_dueces.jpg
  • 100_1768.JPG
  • 100_1753.JPG

Edited by mate0x, 01 September 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#2 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for testing this out mate :thumbup:

Looks very promising, I'll give that a shot sometime soon

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

:headbang:
Hell yea man!
looks like you are getting the ratio dialed in:eusa_clap

#4 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

This time I did a quick 1 min rinse, using my hand to ensure each kernel got wet. Measured out 2 cups of popcorn, and used slightly (will weigh the water eventually) less than 3/4 of a cup of water.

100_1772.JPG

100_1773.jpg

We are also using yellow kernels and white kernels, the white are noticeably smaller and I want to see how that effects the process.

100_1775.JPG

For the two yellow, I did vary the amount of water a little...

100_1774.JPG

They are in the PC right now, will update when they come out!

* Okay, so still a small amount of excess in the bottom, maybe the 1 min rinse is over kill, will switch back to using 2 cups dry popcorn for future trials. After the rinse the water level was noticeably higher on the popcorn in the jars *

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1771.jpg

Edited by mate0x, 01 September 2011 - 10:11 PM.

#5 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

This is my first time using Liquid Culture ( Costa Rican ), 2-3 CC were injected into each jar...8 jars were inoculated this way.

The LC was shaken vigorously, but I am not sure how much myc I got into the syringe...it was broken up pretty small. So this isnt a true test of the popcorn unless my LC is healthy and clean.

The LC has since mended itself, and at around the 40 hour mark I believe I see the first bit of life in one of the 8 jars.

almost.jpg

Not absolutely mycelium...hard to tell...but it's white fuzz of some sort. Gives me something to watch anyway.

Another 4 jars were inoculated with spore solution from Ralph, B+ and Hualta. They were done the 'no-prep' way also. - I feel this will be a more accurate test

incu.jpg

Cross your fingers!

The closest, IMO , is the 2 cups Popcorn to 3/4 cups water. Any less and the height of the Popcorn becomes an issue...the top most area becomes cooked before hydrated. Resulting in a browning, noticeable in the two jars to the left...

.....should say two jars on the right

Edited by mate0x, 03 September 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#6 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Album upload resolution is tiny.

100_1791.JPG

#7 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

I'm really enjoying this thread and your quick prep with it Mate0x :eusa_clap

I worked through trials with a quick prep wbs process that only took a few trials to perfect for me.

Simmering and drying and all that shit takes too much prep work for grains sometimes. I look forward to your results!

#8 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Yes, I hope to stream line the popcorn spawned to bulk process for lazy apartment dwellers like myself. Far more efficient use of the pressure cooker, less time and less mess.

Once I see some or all of these jars take hold...fingers crossed....I will be making and testing a new monotub design that you will load with hydrated bulk material. Steam pasteurize inside the tub itself. Once cooled, remove the inner screen which is suspending the bulk substrate, dropping it to the bottom onto the liner and then spawn.

More on that design later....but its more simple than it sounds...and imo help keep contaminants down as the tub has been steamed as well.

#9 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

Liquid Culture ( Costa Rican )

LC.jpg

The grain jars noc'd with LC.....

100_1802.JPG

100_1798.JPG

100_1800.JPG

100_1801.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1799.JPG
  • 100_1797.JPG
  • 100_1796.JPG

#10 kravenmoorehead

kravenmoorehead

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

Im pulling up a chair and taking notes....looks good so Mate!

#11 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

Im pulling up a chair and taking notes....looks good so Mate!

Do more than that, give it a try kraven! Let me know if it works for you, I will keep this updated for a while, at least until I do some g2g into no-prep jars.

#12 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:44 AM

excellent fucking job bro. Looks like you might have this tek completly down

#13 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

Very interesting! Nice work, it would be great to have a much easier popcorn tek. Thanks for experimenting and sharing :)

#14 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:48 AM

Bruising or Trich ? Happening in a few spots here and there....

Remember...we have no idea if the LC is clean...

100_1808.JPG

Doesn't look good....makes me glad I have 6 jars growing from spores...and 3 more LC's coming

*Another few hours, and probably tossing the LC run...we still have 4 no prep jars with spores in them...and another 4 clean ones drying from last night....*

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1821.JPG

Edited by mate0x, 05 September 2011 - 08:59 AM.

#15 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

It looks blue, but I'm a little color blind. Try not to bump the jars around, if bruised it will heal, if trich it will grow. I wouldn't worry YET.

#16 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

That looks like trichoderma to me mate0x :(

Before you toss your lc though, how are the jars you inoculated with the spore syringes doing? If they're clean, then your lc probably should be tossed.

#17 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

Firstly - cool thread. I never thought about doing popcorn that way.

Second - that looks like Trich to me also.

#18 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

It spread in a matter of hours ( this morning till now) , absolutely trich.

Freaky....the jars done which were inoculated with spores are still clean. No sign of germination yet of any type.

I already disposed of the LC, and the 8 jars from runs #1 and #2.

Anyone else going to give this a whirl?

#19 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

I found spores on popcorn always took longerto germinate than lc or agar wedges. Maybe the outer husks. Not sure why.

Too bad you had to toss the lc, hopefully the next lc is clean an you'll get some good results.

#20 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,608 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

Looks like mold on the poly fill of the jars? Or could it be some type of rust from the lids? Soot from the blackened syringe?

100_1838.JPG

The 8 jars which were thrown out....did not have this....nor does one of the jars from the same batch......

this seems to be isolated to these three jars...all from the same batch.

should i toss them? or just observe? No smell...seems to wipe away...but that could be mold too.

I wish I noticed this way sooner...

*edit i just scrolled up and looked at the incubator shot...these were not black before hand.

I wonder if the jar stacking had something to do with it...hrmm....toss i guess.

:laser:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!