#21 Guest_truckin on_*

Guest_truckin on_*

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

what kind of lighting are you using?

#22 Guest_zekesdream_*

Guest_zekesdream_*

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

what kind of lighting are you using?

just window sunlight, about 10.5 hours a day.
not very bright, being January.

#23 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

I never bother callousing or drying the pereskiopsis cuttings. I always put them in dirt as soon as they are cut. I havent lost one yet. They are tough to kill, drying them out will kill them faster than anything ime. I believe they will be fine. Water once every two weeks sparingly or once a month with more water.

#24 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:02 PM

A friend sent me some and I planted, they did well. A few others I didn't plant I forgot about in a glass of water... a month later they rooted fine too...
I let the soil dry out almost completely before adding more water... remember it has cactus in it's blood so it likes a little drying out.

#25 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

ime they don't like to dry out, they should root in time, unlike other cacti, they do like regular waterings.

#26 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

Your cuttings don't look too bad, I have seen them drop all leaves before starting new growth.... Goodluck :)

#27 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:03 AM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1168161638
They get the same watering schedule my MJ plants do... about twice a week, but I do let the soil dry. One is getting away from me...

Attached Thumbnails

• JAN07 017.jpg

#28 Guest_zekesdream_*

Guest_zekesdream_*

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

UPDATE:
Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far.
I've made some adjustments and things seem to have stabilized.

I removed the cuttings from what I found to be soaking wet soil. I added in about 1/3 part Perlite to the existing cactus soil mix and allowed it to dry some for a day.
Then, I dipped the Pereskiopsis cuttings into Rootone rooting hormone and placed them about 1/2 to 1 in. into the soil, just deep enough that they stand in place.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2007_0107pereskiopsis0002.JPG

#29 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:57 AM

Glad you are sorting things out zekesdream. Keep your cuts moist but not soaking wet until they root and start new growth, then let them dry slightly between waterings. The addition of perlite to your mix is wise imo.

Attached Thumbnails

• perries.JPG

#30 Snake bite

Snake bite

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hi there, im going to buy a Pereskiopsis and i wonder wich kind of Pereskiopsis i shall buy. Witch kind of Pereskiopsis do you use to graft lops?

#31 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

Pereskiopsis spathulata is what you are looking for.

#32 Snake bite

Snake bite

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:57 AM

Thanks mate, but whats the diffrens between Pereskiopsis spathulata and Pereskiopsis velutina?

#33 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:43 AM

i googled it and it seems that both are used for grafting. they look a lot alike and i think either would be ok for what you want to do.

#34 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:56 AM

spathulata is what I would go for....

#35 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

spathulata is what I would go for....

any particular reason?

#36 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

He's probably a spathulata vendor trying to convert aspiring cactus grafters into beleiving in spathulata as 'the' Pereskiopsis to graft on... :mistrust: :crazy1: all I grafted on pereskiopsis were on velutina but I would like to see proof other than net-gossip on the matter that P.spathulata is any better than P.velutina as grafting stock...

#37 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:21 AM

He's probably a spathulata vendor trying to convert aspiring cactus grafters into beleiving in spathulata as 'the' Pereskiopsis to graft on... :mistrust: :crazy1: all I grafted on pereskiopsis were on velutina but I would like to see proof other than net-gossip on the matter that P.spathulata is any better than P.velutina as grafting stock...

A mistrusted spathulata vendor? :lol: :lol: :lol: well thats a new one :bow: Yep there is an abundance of evidence suggesting that. I don't see anyone saying one or the other is superior, net gossip? go figure :lol: :amazed:

#38 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

I know spathulata works from experience. I havent tried any other varieties. Spathulata was also easy to find, and fairly cheap.

#39 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

I know spathulata works from experience. I havent tried any other varieties. Spathulata was also easy to find, and fairly cheap.

Yep, and it grows very fast, propagates easily and tolerates a variety of conditions.
  • Caretaker2012 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!