I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

A little update....
Plans have changed slightly.
I found a local place that sells IBC's
http://en.wikipedia...._Bulk_Container
So talking to some folks, they informed me it would be best to cut the top off and use the top as a grow bed....I dig it....And I can cut it to be a 200 ish gallons so...much less headache. The pressurized filter will be for the IBC tank.

I found someone "semi-local" that breeds tilapia. He has two varieties...Oreochromis niloticus and O. mossambicus. The idea is you cross a male mossambicus to a female niloticus...you get supposedly close to 98% male offspring. I'll take some pics of the fish when they get here.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-09-30_12-29-44_829.jpg
  • 2011-09-24_14-29-22_656.jpg
  • 2011-09-30_12-29-17_705.jpg
  • 2011-09-30_12-27-36_531.jpg

#23 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

So I think I'm going to pick up 50 nile and 50 mossy and pick what i see as "best stock" from those....then start my breeding in a couple months when they are large enough. He has breeders...but I don't have a livewell to bring them back home with...and over 3 hrs...they will die with no oxygen....

So....fingerlings are where it's at....$1 each...i'll get a decent mix of males and females...I can set up multiple breeder tanks this way....I can pick gene pools to cross....no pun intended :special: and whatever i decide not to keep as stock can be grown to mature size and be eaten!

pics of fish when i get back friday evening...ish....

Questions...comments...concerns?

#24 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

So last Friday I picked up 40 Oreochromis mossambicus. For you non latin folks.....:laser: They are Mozambique tilapia.....

So....Here are some of the babies. They are 5/6 weeks old and the largest is about 2". At 16 weeks they are breeding age and should be about 6ish inches. At 8ish months they are 1.25# approx and are at an edible size. I'm going to be building a stand with 6-8 20 gallon tanks. They will all be drilled with overflow/cascade into a sump setup. Each tank will house a breeder colony of 1 male and 5 females. The first round of fry is about 100 each....then....consecutive rounds will increase in quantity up to around 800 per fish :dance:. They guy I picked these up from had some 7#ers in a tank that can produce 800 fry a month each!

I ended up ordering fish food from this company that supplies the fish farms of Whole Foods with feed for their tilapia. All organic, no terrestrial animal parts, no gmo Grain and Fish products. About as close to their native diet as you can get. I'm also raising Red wiggler worms. I also found plans for a black soldier fly colony house. when you harvest your fish you feed them the scraps. If a large enough colony....fish scraps are gone in a day and what remains is bones and larvae of BSF which can be fed to the fish, or....feed them more fish scraps! larger colony...faster the scraps dissapear. Anyone with a compost pile should start one of these in the spring/summer to get rid of their meat scraps.
http://www.youtube.c...BlackSoldierFly
that guy as some decent videos and instructions on how to build a basic composter... I asked my local pet store and he told me to order the larvae from the internet....it would be ALOT cheaper then him ordering them.
Quick google search for "Pheonix worms" or "black soldier fly larvae" will give you tons of places you can have them sent to you. If you are in cold area...they either have to be inside in a heated greenhouse. so you may have to start a new colony each year. Scientists have recently had success getting them to breed inside under artificial lighting....however....greenhouse would be alot easier. put in ...let mother nature do her job....:spank:

so...her are my fishies....

Attached Thumbnails

• mossie2.jpg
  • mossie1.jpg

#25 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

surprised this hasn't had more traffic......

So this is what is happening. I removed most of the plants from my tanks. They use the valuble nitrate i'm trying to gather. I have a 12 bubble bucket setup in the greenhouse. This morning I siphoned off about 4 gallons and brought it over. I have three buckets with 2 cucumbers each...started in rockwool. I started a tomato about a week ago...it popped up over the weekend. I also have two buckets of strawberries going....I realized only one is ever bearing so...the other will be removed tomorrow and repopulated with everbearing. Tomorrow I'll siphon off the other tank and add some water. I'm hoping by the weekend to have them all populated....maybe two a day...I'll take some pics tomorrow while I'm in the greenhouse.

#26 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

:bow:

looking forward to pics

#27 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

as promised....

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-10-18_09-36-58_656.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-36-46_843.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-35-38_452.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-35-58_999.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-36-23_820.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-35-06_540.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-35-13_662.jpg
  • 2011-10-18_09-34-57_577.jpg

#28 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

in order....
General shot of hydro section of greenhouse
baby cucumbers
roots of cucumbers
Arugula sprouting
a cherry type tomato
greenhouse beets grown for the greens
greenhouse beet
greenhouse basil

All the hydroponic buckets are now getting effluent from my fishtanks at home. I have two tilapia tanks and a goldfish tank. I take about 10 gallons from each and fill back up. I'm going to be replacing the water in the buckets once a week till they get bigger....might have to get a couple more tanks in here :special:

#29 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

Way to go!! Very awesome. They're going to be the best fish you ever tasted.

I can't wait to see some picks of the finished project (meal).

#30 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

growing up, getting bigger! great posts!

can fungus be used to process otherwise unsuitable organic sources into the cycle, such as woody debris?

i read that when some wood is cured in a tank it gets all fuzzy with growth but that if there are fish present, they keep it right clean!

would love to know all the kinds of balances achieved in these systems and how to use the least desirable (aka cheap/free) materials to produce food.

love those larva!

#31 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

all the fishies survived 5 days with no power....blowing bubbles in through a straw is the answer!!...not really. But they did all survive. Some are large enough to be seperated from the bunch to a smaller tank for sexing. I'm hoping for at least 2 colonies of 1 male to 5/6 females.

#32 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

Getting big quick. Two different phenotypes...one has a spot on it's dorsal fin...the other does not.

FISH2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• FISH1.jpg

#33 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

so...the spot is called a tilapia mark. They all had it...as they mature it goes away. Last night I went to feed the fish and there was a larger one that wasn't eating....it would just go up and nudge the pellets with it's face....so...I followed it around the tank with my eyes a bit....and also noticed it was NOT opening it's mouth. So....I catch her with the net. When I go to isolate her to the 20 gallon breeder tank....I find a couple hundred eggs!!!! when you catch them they spit their eggs....I dropped them in the tank with her and by this afternoon she picked them all back up.....Um....I'm going to need a couple more tanks in a minute.....
  • Erkee likes this

#34 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

she swallowed her eggs. must have been too stressed out...or hungry...or...who knows. There is a contraption I'm going to build to tumble the eggs in a nursery tank. This way I can strip the eggs from mom into the tumbler and put her back to be bred again....and....no chance of her swallowing them!

[Direct Link]

#35 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

already have another one holding....have to get on that tumbler ASAP....

#36 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

Made up a parts list yesterday. I have most of it...build up this week with pictures.

#37 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

This is really cool, subscribing. Going to point a friend to it as well. Good luck!

#38 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

So, this morning I caught holding fish #2. As I dropped her into the breeder tank for further breeding....I dropped her "eggs" into the tank....I realized...THEY'RE MOVING! Baby fish!...she picked up some, she should spit them out as swimming fish in a few days. The other girl in the tank ate a bunch...bitch....Good thing I am using the ability of them able to spawn at such a young age as sex indicator. Like plants...if you use fish that spawn at a young age...the spawn should spawn at a young age as well. I have 3 males showing dominant colors which indicates a sexually mature age..one is extra large and shows a nice blue color as well as the white solid throat and redish coloration on the tips of the fins and tail. He's going to go into the breeder tank. I'm going to use generation 2 from these fish as the final breeders...choosing from the largest fastest growing of the females from this round and looking for a beast of a male to back breed....this is going to be fun!

#39 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

Maybe she is stressed but maybe its a nutrition thing ..... I have noticed when a fish needs a boost of nutrition she will eat the eggs or fish for extra nutrition.
I raised guppies and one of them had 30 babies she ate some and died after the 30 she gave birth too :( anyway just a thought sounds like she was stressed and we do need more nutrition when we are stressed..

#40 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

there are many reasons they eat their eggs....some of which we may never understand. Imagine holding your young from egg to 5 days old...total of something like 22 days...in your mouth. Makes eating hard to do.....I asked a few people that grow tilapia in florida as a hobby and they said that it usually takes a few rounds for them to "get the hang of it". They have to stop eating during the period the eggs/fish are in their mouth. If during this period she gets too hungry...she'll eat them. Also, part of the reason the eggs are kept in her mouth is of course to stop predation, however, as she swims, water passes over the eggs almost perpetually. She also moves the eggs around in her mouth with her tongue. If the eggs start to "taste funny" she will also swallow them...as well as if they get infected with fungus. So...yes....being stressed from the move could definately do it....but more then likely it was a combination of these factors. The first fish that had eggs..I later learned were not fertilized. Fertilized eggs are round ORANGE orbs...these were totally white indicating no fertilization. The second fish...I decided to just leave where she was...In reality I have about 20 days from spawn to the time I have to move her so she doesn't spit her young into the breeding tank. And..if i build this tumbler...I can do it on the day it happens and they can sit in the tumbler till they can swim. I was told....if she's in a tank of "good mothers"...some of them will help her out and pick up the eggs that she missed and hold them till swimming age. So far I have 2 in the breeding tank and a male picked out....I see another female I believe is holding eggs....I might try to catch her this week....tumbler is tops on the priority list this week. I ordered a massive air pump the Sunleaves brand SDA284...at 1740GPH....I can run several bubble buckets....aerate a reservoir...and run 3' bubble wands in each of my soon to be 6 tanks 3x50ish and 3x20 gal breeder tanks. The idea being...in the summer I'm going to put an installation of 3x 250gallon IBC totes to grow out full size fish into early winter...if I can figure out a decent insulation solution and heating....I would gladly run this into the winter. Ideally it would have to be a greenhouse with 2 or more quickset pools on sand and insulation padding. Then heat the greenhouse with solar gain and minimal heating during the night...and heat the quickset with water bed heaters under plus some type of addition of submersible heater capable of heating 600 gallons each pool to 80 ish degrees at night. thoughts?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!