• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

a document I found relating to tilapia tank culture...notice feeding size/rates in the chart. I am currently feeding all my tilapia an all plant and fish diet of #3 pellets....I should weigh what I feed them in a day...I'll weigh later and post.
Attached File  aquarium culture of tilapia.pdf   274.29KB   228 downloads

#42 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Thoes are great ideas inspirational :)
as new mothers go they don't really know what to do all the time lol glad there are others to show her that's cute
I like the water bed heater idea solar green house and insulation on the road to self sustainability :)
I am always looking for ideas to grow my own food and teach neighbors how to too help them with their gardens and share the extra around bringing people together with nutrition on the plate :)

#43 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

So, the girl i was pursuing...turns out she wants to be with a real loser...I have too much going for me ::shrug::
So....back to the projects!!
I'll be assembling my aquaponic greens setup soon. I have to rearrange some plants in the house to move the light around for the greens....pics to follow with progress. I also ordered some mushroom spawn...going to try to feed the mushroom waste to the fish for added protein and micro nutrients. I also figure that the mushroom food will add naturally occurring antibiotics to the fish increasing their ability to combat disease.....

#44 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

That's a cool idea and they may actually eat it try a little bit first test how it does :)
Sorry about the girl but you are keeping busy at something productive :) That's a good thing I really like the mushroom Idea of food

#45 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

This is awesome, I plan on doing this with my 8000 gallon water res that I use to water my greenhouse, garden and orchard with :-D
Its an old pool... well that I turned into my water res, I call it "The pond" lol.

I want to put a circled NET in the middle that is deeper then the sides and keep fish in that portion... OR
I would just build a platform that sat maybe about only 1 foot into the water.. so then I can use that as a water plant
tray... OMG thats what im going to do :-D then I can have WAY WAY more fish under all that.

Cheers my friend, ill be lurking ;-)

#46 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:07 AM

Up early again...this 4am shit has got to stop......
So, took the opportunity to take some pics of the fish.
Notice the white and blue throat on the mature dominant males. The famales are not visually exciting....a greyish silver fish with darker lines.....meh....but the dominant males change color. Tips of their fins changes red also. So....pics.....

Selection tank...one of two.....
selection tank.jpg

A dominant male...I cought him sleeping so you can see the coloring pretty well..
male2.jpg

Same male...he's protecting his "cave"
male.jpg

Breeding tank. Two females that are mature. One is holding fry. I'll find out how many actually made the transfer in a couple days now. She's not eating still which means she's still got a few in there. The other one is eating again so...i'm hoping next spawn she figures out the whole holding thing otherwise i'm going to be eating A tilapia sashimi roll.....
breeding tank.jpg

#47 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

very cool like the pic's

#48 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

So...vacation for a week. I have someone feeding the fish. Hope they all make it.

#49 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,538 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

good luck hoping everything runs smoothly for ya relax and have fun :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!