26 replies to this topic

#1 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

Anyone make there own Kefir ? Been drinking it nearly everyday for about a year and noticed that I was throwing rather a lot of cartons. Got some culture a few days ago to make my own and wow! wish I did it sooner! dead easy and no waste. I love self sufficiency, just have to find myself a cow now :D

I read the culture grows very quick which is great! exponatial Kefir :eusa_danc

#2 obtuse

obtuse

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Watch out, it does indeed grow exponentially.

I love Kefir, so yummy.

i gather from your post that you have been able to purchase it in cartons.

wow, i always though that you couldnt because it needed air exchange even after straining.

Anyway best of luck with it.

Cheers, Obtuse.

#3 slacker

slacker

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

I've been culturing it for a few years now. I use goat milk. It makes a nicer drink for me. Some goat milk smells and tastes "goaty". The brand I use doesn't (sorry can't remember the name and I'm not at home). Since the goat milk has smaller protiens it's apparently more compatible for human consumption than cow milk. It also produces a kefir that is easier to strain.
I buy my milk by the carton but I used to buy bags of 3. I'd put 2 in the freezer and thaw one out when I estimated that I had 2 or 3 days remaining in the bag that was being used. I drink mine in a smoothy with banana and frozen blueberries and omega 3 oils.

#4 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

I've been culturing it for a few years now. I use goat milk. It makes a nicer drink for me. Some goat milk smells and tastes "goaty". The brand I use doesn't (sorry can't remember the name and I'm not at home). Since the goat milk has smaller protiens it's apparently more compatible for human consumption than cow milk. It also produces a kefir that is easier to strain.
I buy my milk by the carton but I used to buy bags of 3. I'd put 2 in the freezer and thaw one out when I estimated that I had 2 or 3 days remaining in the bag that was being used. I drink mine in a smoothy with banana and frozen blueberries and omega 3 oils.

Great tips Slacker. I will give goats milk a go and the fruit sounds great.

#5 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:16 PM

Watch out, it does indeed grow exponentially.

I love Kefir, so yummy.

i gather from your post that you have been able to purchase it in cartons.

wow, i always though that you couldnt because it needed air exchange even after straining.

Anyway best of luck with it.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Yeah used to get it in plastic pots, sealed. Tasted great. Had one ready after a night out, great for a hangover :D

#6 junchieve

junchieve

Riding the Lightning

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

I love Kefir, but hate paying the prices at the store :(. What kinda steps are involved if you don't mind telling?

#7 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:03 AM

I love Kefir, but hate paying the prices at the store :(. What kinda steps are involved if you don't mind telling?

1. buy a culture (it's very cheap)
2. Add culture to clean jug or jar
3. Add cows milk or goat milk to the jug (Volume depends on how much culture you have, a teaspoon will be good for 1 pint)
4. leave it at room temperature to ferment - thats it!

Only takes a day or two to make kefir, not like fermenting sugars for alcohol.

The longer you leave it the sour and thicker it gets and tastes so for a sweeter kafir 12-24hrs is good.

Culture will grow with each batch so you can grow your batch with the culture to make more kefir.

Lots of info here - http://users.sa.char.../kefirpage.html

#8 junchieve

junchieve

Riding the Lightning

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Wow I didn't know it was that fast and simple, thanks Raziel :)

#9 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hey Raziel have you tried or heard of water kefir?

#10 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

I'm going to put this in Animal Farm where you will get more interest in this good thread! :D

#11 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

Hey Raziel have you tried or heard of water kefir?

I have heard of it and seen what it looks like but have not tried it or read much on it. From what I do know it is similar but a sugary water solution is used instead of dairy. You thinking of doing some ?

#12 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

You thinking of doing some ?

Yeah, milk weirds me out.

#13 psilytex

psilytex

Lil Grower

• Expired Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

Does it still have the same benefits as the dairy version

#14 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

Does it still have the same benefits as the dairy version

Maybe, not really sure. The culture of bacteria and yeast is different for water kefir vs milk kefir. So maybe not the same, but similar.

#15 Vultoid

Vultoid

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

Oh man, I love me a cool mug of tangy-sour biota effluent! I drink a pint or so of it every couple of days. I'm getting more and more hardcore in my taste too, and can only drink it after a full 4 or 5 days of fermenting. It's no good unless it's fizzing.

I've had my grains for about 6 months now and I've had to throw away about 5lbs of excess already (feeding it to my worm bin). They really expand at a crazy rate over the summer months. So obviously it's good sense to cultivate your own grains rather than rely on anything bought from the store (FYI if store-bought is the only kind you've tried, then please reserve judgement, because it's usually just little more than tasteless pasteurised yogurt minus the sugar).

#16 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:49 AM

Anyone here make their own at home they might be willing to kick me a few grains to start?

#17 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

ok.....if I order some how many people would be interested in some after it multiplies?

#18 Diesel

Diesel

Goldsheen Obsidian

• Free Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

I eat mine after i have too many... :) although... it has been a while since i invested time into kefir.

#19 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Picked up grains on ebay. $9 shipped...should be here this week.

#20 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Got here two days ago, Starting my first batch today. Whole Foods brand 2% Organic milk. See how it goes....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!